Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Poor Teeko! I'm glad he's okay.

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
So sad weekend for teeko guys.. I wanna post this for people so they know this can HAPPEN!..and, to make sure you check your cages!! So with that being said..
I came home from work, And I didn't hear Teeko start yelling because... he usually does when he hears the door..so I automatically knew, something was wrong! I went in his room to let him out of the cage, And he was upside down on the door biting at his foot.. when I got closer to his cage, i noticed his ID ring around his ankle some how swooped around onto the door!! which has these like "J" shaped things on the inside. He was frantically trying to bite me...when I was trying to easily push the ring off..but I guess he was just so scared!! 😔..after I freed him, he ran out of the cage and didn't put weight on his leg.... His leg was pretty swollen.. I took him to the vet and luckily no sprains or anything..just inflamed. But it easily could have been much worse if he frantically threw himself around while hooked like that... BUT! he's perfectly fine!. And still active as ever! After this scare I bought him another bigger cage, with a swing door instead of a lift door, I took the other cage and threw it out..although I wanted to do alot of other things to it for the design flaw..but 😅 luckily my buddy is just fine and gave me the scare of my life. I wanted to say this because I don't want this scare to happen to anyone!

PS: I know this was my fault, but there is just small things us owners can miss and not see..
Glad he is ok but I had also a very worrying similar incident with one of our conures. Their legs are so delicate ❤

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
So glad to hear teeko is ok !

Albie got her band caught on a toy and we got hers removed and threw the offending toy out

She had to be sedated for the band removal as hers was steel not aluminium, so while under i had her microchipped
Thank you! For the support and kind comment! Teekos was aluminum as well!, I'm gonna be extra cautious even with toys. I'm glad you brought that up.

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Glad he is ok but I had also a very worrying similar incident with one of our conures. Their legs are so delicate ❤
Very! I hope your loved one is okay as well!

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
I've called both local aviary vets and neither will remove the tags because "essentially that's like removing your microchip from your dogs; it is their ID if they get misplaced." I explained the chances of someone finding and then contacting the proper chains to locate me, in the even Tusli did get lost- but they both said no. :confused:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I've called both local aviary vets and neither will remove the tags because "essentially that's like removing your microchip from your dogs; it is their ID if they get misplaced." I explained the chances of someone finding and then contacting the proper chains to locate me, in the even Tusli did get lost- but they both said no. :confused:
Wow! I've never heard of a vet refusing to do this.

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Wow! I've never heard of a vet refusing to do this.
@Stitchthestitch @TeekoGreenCheek
They both told me to stop reading the internet 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I went to a local aviary shop today, she gave me her aviary vet who does remove them. She also said that vet can/does insert microchips into birds; is that really necessary? They're so small (the conures/Tulsi)- microchips are the same size whether it's a dog or a bird- it seems like that wouldn't be painless or bothersome but I'm not a bird.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
@Stitchthestitch @TeekoGreenCheek
They both told me to stop reading the internet 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I went to a local aviary shop today, she gave me her aviary vet who does remove them. She also said that vet can/does insert microchips into birds; is that really necessary? They're so small (the conures/Tulsi)- microchips are the same size whether it's a dog or a bird- it seems like that wouldn't be painless or bothersome but I'm not a bird.
So the bit about chips, im not sure where in the world you are, but here in the uk ,they produce nano microchips that are half the size or smaller than a standard chip.albie weighed 75g at the time ,but can be as small as 60g,but they need to be sedated for it as in is i tra muscular rather than subcutaneous.

Albie wasnt bothered by the implant site in the slightest.

For me, its a permanent form of identification and gives me peace of mind knowing ive a higher chsnce of being reunited with her should she escape as my details are now tied to her unique number and as she was being sedated for band removal any way it it made sense to do it then

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
So the bit about chips, im not sure where in the world you are, but here in the uk ,they produce nano microchips that are half the size or smaller than a standard chip.albie weighed 75g at the time ,but can be as small as 60g,but they need to be sedated for it as in is i tra muscular rather than subcutaneous.

Albie wasnt bothered by the implant site in the slightest.

For me, its a permanent form of identification and gives me peace of mind knowing ive a higher chsnce of being reunited with her should she escape as my details are now tied to her unique number and as she was being sedated for band removal any way it it made sense to do it then
Thank you for this! I live in Florida. The shop owner mentioned the vet and techs are all bird owners so I'll call this vet on Monday and confirm with her the size and how Tulsi would be sedated.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
What if you agreed to microchip Tulsi?
I thought most bands did not give any useful information except perhaps for the breeder.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
So glad to hear teeko is ok !

Albie got her band caught on a toy and we got hers removed and threw the offending toy out

She had to be sedated for the band removal as hers was steel not aluminium, so while under i had her microchipped
What kind of bird is Albie? I'm on mobile so sorry if it's in your profile, I don't see it.

I ask because I was under the impression that microchips are about the size of a grain of rice--not large by any means, but too big for most small/medium birds? Do they have smaller chips now for exotics?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I thought most bands did not give any useful information except perhaps for the breeder.
The band itself has no useful info but it does have an identifier that can be registered to registries, but last time I looked into it, there's not really a single registry that you can count on people looking at, the registries don't talk to each other, and anyway the likelihood of anyone LOOKING at the registry is slim.

Also, I don't think there's any standardization between band manufacturers, so it's probably conceivable that two bands could have the same numbers on them?

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
I understood the bands to have no “owner” connection either. It’s okay - Monday I’m going to call a vet I was given contact information for today :)

Last edited:

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
What kind of bird is Albie? I'm on mobile so sorry if it's in your profile, I don't see it.

I ask because I was under the impression that microchips are about the size of a grain of rice--not large by any means, but too big for most small/medium birds? Do they have smaller chips now for exotics?
Albiw is a green cheek conure and weighs 80g currently, at the time she was chipped she was around 75g.

Standard sized chips are too big for small birds like conures but they have produced chips half the size that are implanted in smaller animals like rabbits small birds etc ( im a trained microchipper for dogs cats and rabbits) but small birds need sedating for it because placement of the chip is in the breast muscle

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
We had Tulsi’s band removed last night! We didn’t have a microchip implanted- the vet only uses gas to sedate the birds to implant the microchips. She said it’s a large needle to put the chip in and it is painful which is why she uses gas, in order to not put the bird through extra trauma of another needle. I just didn’t know if that was a good idea. She said she’s been doing it for years and all her own birds have the chip that way but I was already upset they trimmed her nails without telling me and Tulsi was sweating from being hot. So at least the band is off.

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
She’s not grasping on to thing well since they cut her nails. And I notice she keeps holding one of her feet/legs up protectively and almost chewing on her toe? Like it’s bothering her. And it’s not the leg that had the band. I think they cut one of her nails to the quick :/ I’m so annoyed at them for doing the nails without asking me first.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie wasnt fussed at all when she was chipped,she didnt mess with the implant site at all . Yes she was sedated because yes it is a rather big needle,but she had to be sedated any way to remove her leg band as it was steel and to remove it fully concious could have resulted in broken bones and bleeding vets .

It does sound like they may have quicked a nail. If they , it will be a bit sensitive, like if you cut your nails too far back, if like me, youve stabbed yourself under your nail with a dog brush 🤣 ( om a dog groomer, i no longer have a dog)

If you notice it bleeding corn flour or starch if your in the usa will help stop the bleeding .

I was also shocked at how un grippy albie was when i had her nails done, i felt so guilty when she would try and land on my should and slide off, its ok , teeko will soon learn how to adjust. Albie figured it out pretty quickly

I would call your vets and discuss it with them and ask for it to be clear in your notes that her nails are not to be touched unless you have asked for it .

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Albie wasnt fussed at all when she was chipped,she didnt mess with the implant site at all . Yes she was sedated because yes it is a rather big needle,but she had to be sedated any way to remove her leg band as it was steel and to remove it fully concious could have resulted in broken bones and bleeding vets .

It does sound like they may have quicked a nail. If they , it will be a bit sensitive, like if you cut your nails too far back, if like me, youve stabbed yourself under your nail with a dog brush 🤣 ( om a dog groomer, i no longer have a dog)

If you notice it bleeding corn flour or starch if your in the usa will help stop the bleeding .

I was also shocked at how un grippy albie was when i had her nails done, i felt so guilty when she would try and land on my should and slide off, its ok , teeko will soon learn how to adjust. Albie figured it out pretty quickly

I would call your vets and discuss it with them and ask for it to be clear in your notes that her nails are not to be touched unless you have asked for it .
Yes- I feel so bad. That’s what happening , she’s sliding off of me, shes holding her foot tucked up, she’s fell a few times from the top of her house to the floor of it….😩
I’ll definitely make sure it’s in her records not to do her nails. Are those Perches that are sandy-like good for their nails? I’ve read mixed opinions so I don’t have any, we just have natural wood perches right now and she chews the crap out of them for her beak but do they help with her nails?

Most Reactions

Latest posts