Teeko almost broke his leg!

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
So sad weekend for teeko guys.. I wanna post this for people so they know this can HAPPEN!..and, to make sure you check your cages!! So with that being said..
I came home from work, And I didn't hear Teeko start yelling because... he usually does when he hears the door..so I automatically knew, something was wrong! I went in his room to let him out of the cage, And he was upside down on the door biting at his foot.. when I got closer to his cage, i noticed his ID ring around his ankle some how swooped around onto the door!! which has these like "J" shaped things on the inside. He was frantically trying to bite me...when I was trying to easily push the ring off..but I guess he was just so scared!! 😔..after I freed him, he ran out of the cage and didn't put weight on his leg.... His leg was pretty swollen.. I took him to the vet and luckily no sprains or anything..just inflamed. But it easily could have been much worse if he frantically threw himself around while hooked like that... BUT! he's perfectly fine!. And still active as ever! After this scare I bought him another bigger cage, with a swing door instead of a lift door, I took the other cage and threw it out..although I wanted to do alot of other things to it for the design flaw..but 😅 luckily my buddy is just fine and gave me the scare of my life. I wanted to say this because I don't want this scare to happen to anyone!

PS: I know this was my fault, but there is just small things us owners can miss and not see..

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So glad he is ok! Many of us have leg bands removed because of potential dangers like this.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I too remove bands for my rescue birds! I don't see the benefit of keeping the band--it's true that it's possible to register your bird with band registries, and maybe if you've done that you might want to keep the band, but the truth is band registries aren't commonly used and if someone found your baby they probably wouldn't know to check those registries anyway.

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
I'm so glad Teak is okay! How do we have the band removed please? Is that something we need to take ours to the vet for? I would imagine but I just wanted to ask....

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I'm so glad Teak is okay! How do we have the band removed please? Is that something we need to take ours to the vet for? I would imagine but I just wanted to ask....
Vets will do it for like $20-30. Personally, I do feel like they overcharge (lol) but I still let them handle it, especially for metal bands.

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
Vets will do it for like $20-30. Personally, I do feel like they overcharge (lol) but I still let them handle it, especially for metal bands.
Thank you so much; we have two avian vets nearby so I will call them tomorrow. We've only had Tulsi for 3wks but that band has had me concerned.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So sad weekend for teeko guys.. I wanna post this for people so they know this can HAPPEN!..and, to make sure you check your cages!! So with that being said..
I came home from work, And I didn't hear Teeko start yelling because... he usually does when he hears the door..so I automatically knew, something was wrong! I went in his room to let him out of the cage, And he was upside down on the door biting at his foot.. when I got closer to his cage, i noticed his ID ring around his ankle some how swooped around onto the door!! which has these like "J" shaped things on the inside. He was frantically trying to bite me...when I was trying to easily push the ring off..but I guess he was just so scared!! 😔..after I freed him, he ran out of the cage and didn't put weight on his leg.... His leg was pretty swollen.. I took him to the vet and luckily no sprains or anything..just inflamed. But it easily could have been much worse if he frantically threw himself around while hooked like that... BUT! he's perfectly fine!. And still active as ever! After this scare I bought him another bigger cage, with a swing door instead of a lift door, I took the other cage and threw it out..although I wanted to do alot of other things to it for the design flaw..but 😅 luckily my buddy is just fine and gave me the scare of my life. I wanted to say this because I don't want this scare to happen to anyone!

PS: I know this was my fault, but there is just small things us owners can miss and not see..
Oh No! Poor Teeko! This forum wouldn't be the same without Teeko!
But how was this your fault? By leaving the band on or by getting a cage the caught the band? I don't think this was anyone's fault but it goes to show you what can happen to birds with bands.

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Oh No! Poor Teeko! This forum wouldn't be the same without Teeko!
But how was this your fault? By leaving the band on or by getting a cage the caught the band? I don't think this was anyone's fault but it goes to show you what can happen to birds with bands.
Awh thanks for the kind comment! Teeko loves the attention of the camera to show off his lavish lifestyle to you guys lol..
I feel the cage I bought him wasn't the best..I just didn't know what to look for in a cage..but the guy literally has a cage that can fit an African Grey now and very comfortably 😳 I may have went a bit extravagant but..he loves it lol

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I took this the day before it happened. As you can still see the band there. Why does his face make me laugh 😂 "you..think.. i could have some popcorn" face.
20230801_173311.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I took this the day before it happened. As you can still see the band there. Why does his face make me laugh 😂 "you..think.. i could have some popcorn" face.
View attachment 55321
Please post photos of the old cage and the new cage so we can avoid similar problems. And tell Teeko that Rocky my budgie says "Hi"!

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I got rid of the cage. BUT! I found this on google! So clearly I wasn't the first one to have this danger. See that round hook on the door? That's on the inside of the cage when it closes. It's very easy for a band to get hooked on it! If your bird still has their band.
IMG-20231019-WA0011.jpg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Yikes! Yeah I would drive myself crazy with worry wondering if it would get caught on a toy etc.... I think there are just so many things they could be caught on.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I got rid of the cage. BUT! I found this on google! So clearly I wasn't the first one to have this danger. See that round hook on the door? That's on the inside of the cage when it closes. It's very easy for a band to get hooked on it! If your bird still has their band.
View attachment 55334
I have seen a lot of cages with these "hooks" and I can see how a bird could get his band caught in it.
We should all I inspect our cages for hidden dangers like this, especially if our birds wear bands.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So glad to hear teeko is ok !

Albie got her band caught on a toy and we got hers removed and threw the offending toy out

She had to be sedated for the band removal as hers was steel not aluminium, so while under i had her microchipped

Most Reactions

Latest posts