Is my lineolated parakeets preen gland impacted?

kimoakley

May 29, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet
Just looking for some advice in case i'm overreacting. I've never really paid attention to the gland before so i'm not sure if this looks unusual. My parakeet is 3 years old and the sex is unknown. If I'm not just being paranoid and there is a real issue here doesn't anyone know how to fix it? He just has his yearly vet checkup about 2 months ago so I figured if there's something wrong they would've noticed it then but maybe it's new.

Attachments

• 7CD1E68E-DA17-48A6-828B-F6E6315F3BDB.jpeg
    7CD1E68E-DA17-48A6-828B-F6E6315F3BDB.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 4AFF5F8E-FC2A-4F1D-B055-8E2DEE56D79F.jpeg
    4AFF5F8E-FC2A-4F1D-B055-8E2DEE56D79F.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 75

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I see that the gland is large and bare. But now that I look closer I see feathering is otherwise normal and if it were impacted the bird would be uncomfortable and possibly plucking. An impacted preen gland eventually gets infected.

Is your bird having problems? Is it pulling its feathers? Why do you think the preen gland is impacted?

OP
kimoakley

kimoakley

May 29, 2022
Parrots
lineolated parakeet
I see that the gland is large and bare. But now that I look closer I see feathering is otherwise normal and if it were impacted the bird would be uncomfortable and possibly plucking. An impacted preen gland eventually gets infected.

Is your bird having problems? Is it pulling its feathers? Why do you think the preen gland is impacted?
He's not having any problems and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I was just worried because of how bare the area is and because there looks to be a little bump.

Most Reactions

Latest posts