Is this mites?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
tofu my bird has some white stuff on his feathers but they are not moving are they mites?
he has been losing some feathers

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? It's much easier for us to comment if we can see it.

In the video you sent me of the lost feathers, those are what I call floofies. Mine shed them quite often. They are the soft down feathers and it is completely natural.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
the white stuff is small it cant show on the camera but I tried my best
i tried to find

Attachments

• 518bde09-d562-4861-a392-2e51823c7160.jpg
    518bde09-d562-4861-a392-2e51823c7160.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 74
OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
oh thank god that's natural but tofu everyday a big feathers falls

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
the white stuff is small it cant show on the camera but I tried my best
i tried to find
I can't really make out anything in the picture, but I wonder if it is dander that you're seeing.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
what is
dander

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
what is
dander
From Wikipedia:

"
What exactly is dander?

Dander is material shed from the body of humans and other animals that have fur, hair, or feathers. The term is similar to dandruff, when an excess of flakes becomes visible. "

Dander is normal. Have you been misting your budgies to give them baths? Or do they have access to a bath?

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
i guess we aren't sure if it mites but i will order a mite spray incase they have mites

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
tofu barley takes and rarely takes a bath he hates something call water we even have to force him to drink water because he never drinks it

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
tofu barley takes and rarely takes a bath he hates something call water we even have to force him to drink water because he never drinks it
Some of my birds didn't like baths, either. We use a clean, new mister bottle and only spray them lightly so the water falls on them rather than blast them. We play a thunderstorm video on Youtube and when they hear the water they usually start enjoying the bath. You have to stop misting if they try to get away, you don't want it to be something they dread, but something they grow to love.
It may take some time, but I think he will come to enjoy a misting.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
hope so

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I would not get mite spray. Nope

Your birds do not have symptoms of mites
And some mite sprays aren't good for birds, especially ones you spray on birds.

Most Reactions