Is this pineapple conure ok?

Rahulsingh190

Oct 8, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure, Rosy-face lovebird
I just bought this pineapple conure from an online store, to me it looks like, there is some issue with this individual, his feather colours are way too dull, he is eating normally, and seems to behave normally.

I'm planning to include multivitamin in his diet, to see if he improves.
Please Advise.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2022-10-08-22-21-54-945.jpg
    IMG_2022-10-08-22-21-54-945.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2022-10-08-22-23-05-388.jpg
    IMG_2022-10-08-22-23-05-388.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2022-10-08-22-26-49-187.jpg
    IMG_2022-10-08-22-26-49-187.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2022-10-08-22-26-54-673.jpg
    IMG_2022-10-08-22-26-54-673.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 94

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I just bought this pineapple conure from an online store, to me it looks like, there is some issue with this individual, his feather colours are way too dull, he is eating normally, and seems to behave normally.

I'm planning to include multivitamin in his diet, to see if he improves.
Please Advise.

Thanks
There looks to be a lot wrong with that bird. Its eyes are very large and bulgy which is not normal and its tummy looks plucked.
This bird needs a lot more than multi-vitamins, it needs to be taken to an Avian certified vet ASAP.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree the eyes look a little buldgie.....could be baby eyes..or because its a little under weight.....

This little one looks a little shell shocked. Was it shipped to you? How long have you had it?

Is that metal hanging down from top of cage? What is it?

Being new, being put in with another bird...you really need to be so careful that it is eating enough.....sometimes newly weaned babies revert to needing some hand feeding with baby bird formula. But if you can offer millet spray, plenty of food like was feed before...or just make sure us really eating enough...not just nibble or playing with food.

Get a digital kitchen scale and weigh. Weigh every morning. Any loss be worried. A avian veterinarian exam would be too of my list. Probably you are required anyway to keep warranty of new bird. And all new ones should get health check. But even more importantly if anything looks off. Prompt care saves lives! And us often quicker recovery and cheaper than waiting.

What are you feeding? What us it eating?

The color looks normal just a more dilute individual. My lovely conure is even more dilute/muted colors. Dies seem to be barber feathers or the other bird is. This can be from extreme stress, health or nutrition.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The well considered advise above needs to be followed, there is no part that I disagree with. I also see a very young Parrot and it has not been eating, likely needs to be back on Baby Bird Formula, like now.

Not being mean: Never Buy from an online Parrot site. Never ship a young Parrot. Always separate new Parrots from exist Parrots.

Get your Parrot to an Avian Vet ASAP.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rahulsingh190

Oct 8, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Conure, Rosy-face lovebird
Yes, the bird was shipped to me, but it only took around 2 hrs, so it reached me quite quickly.

Yes, the breeder said, that this bird hasn't grown to its correct size, even though its 5 months old, maybe that's why the eyes are bulging out.

The top cover of the enclosure, is a metal mesh, as I'm using a previous aquarium as an enclosure now.

He is constantly eating though, I've also given him some multivitamins.
Currently he is on a Seed blend diet, I tried to feed him an egg yolk, but he did not eat.

Will take him to a vet and see what happens.

Thanks for your response guys :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Aquarium metal is very likely unsafe for parrots. Birds are exquisitely sensitive to metal poisoning especially zinc and lead. Most metal is zinc costed or galvanized and not safe. So I hope you are saving up, and looking out for gently used parrot cages. Make sure no rust. Most of my cages are second hand cages. Craigslist, Facebook market place are great places to keep watch.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I would really find a housing alternative over a glass aquarium for your conure. There is absolutely not enough room in a tank, and conures love to climb around and explore. They need a great deal of height and space to exercise and keep entertained, which they cannot get in a fish tank. This will end up in a very stressed and unhealthy bird. There is also no airflow in a glass tank, so you are also severely risking respiratory illness. Any way you cut it, tanks are meant for fish and reptiles, not birds and I would for sure get an appropriately sized cage ASAP.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
An aquarium additionally doesn’t get enough proper ventilation for a parrot. They are not really suitable for small mammals either - aquariums are best for animals who need to maintain high humidity or for fish.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m mostly worried about leftover fish germs and lack of ventilation.

Watch craigslist or other ads for a used cage. Or get a basic cage. This is important to your birds health.

Have you got any news about this little bird? I’m worried. Hope he’s ok.

Most Reactions

Latest posts