Just a great bird?

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Kia-Goffin Cockatoo, Paco-Indian Ringneck
I have read so much about too's before and after I got my Kia. Some of the stories are just scary. I know my Kia is still young, but she is such a good bird. She mumbles alot throughout the day, I cant really make anything out of it IF she's trying to say anything at all.

She only gets loud in the evening, but it only lasts for 10 to 15min. It's only happening once a day, maybe twice, so I think it's cute. Is she not so noisy like too's are supposed to be because she's still young? I love her to death so I dont care how loud she is. Im just wondering why she's more on the quiet side.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
From my experience, most screaming is a learned behavior. Sometimes it is health related, but it's usually from people spoiling their birds. They get the bird and spend every waking minute with them, then as time goes on they spend less time with the bird that now expects all of that one on one time. Then the bird starts screaming for attention and most people will yell back, only encouraging the behavior.

If you teach your too from a young age to be independent a cockatoo can be just as quiet as any other large hookbill. Most will still yell early in the morning and in the evening but you shouldn't have that incessant screaming for attention.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Also wanted to add, goffins are usually quieter than the larger 'toos, that being said, I had a goffin that was a screamer but she came to me with that problem and it did get much better as time went on with proper training.

OP
Lesa1211

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Kia-Goffin Cockatoo, Paco-Indian Ringneck
Thanks for the reply! I try not to spoil her too much. I want her to be independant and be able to entertain herself when Im not around.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I agree with icy, and she looks like a real sweetie, congrats and good luck on your bird ,

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
My Goffin Yoshi isnt a noisy bird either :). He usually does his screamings in the mornings , but lately he hasn't done any . But at night ,that is a different story , lol.
He only screams for about 5 minutes , maybe 8 if he is feeling frisky :)
We lovingly call his screaming "Yoshi getting his freak on" lolol.
I can honestly tell you that we don't even notice anymore because you just have to accept that's is how life is going to be living with a Too :)
I find it amusing and so does my husband , but we don't pay any attention to him when he does it so he doesn't figure out we really mlike his freak show because then he will do it more , lolol. So my word of advice is not to acknowledge your birds screaming with attention or even a comment , or you will be sorry , lol.
They are so smart ad can figure out just about anything :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Young birds are mostly good birds... It's when they mature trouble starts...

This is something I've read, and not experienced... Both my older birds are terrific... shortbilled corella and Galah, both cockatoo species..

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
I try not to spoil her too much. I want her to be independant and be able to entertain herself when Im not around.

If you continue to teach her to entertain herself, she'll be fine. It's the emotionally crippled people who NEED to use their birds as emotional crutches and smother them inside their overhanging folds of excess flab baggage that will run into problems.

Most Reactions

Latest posts