Just memories

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I think "pinning" is not the right word. I think what I was trying to get across is that if we don't stop throwing animals over the cliff, we too, will become extinct. And that's just a fact.

I am writing to state representatives and trying to get a petition going.

This is all about politics and hardly nothing to do with conservation.

I am also participating in my zoo's program regarding tigers and how we need to keep this species going.

I understand your analogy, but don't believe the demise of Homo Sapiens will save the world. Whatever replaces us may be more rapacious and dismissive of our fellow inhabitants, particularly if AI.

Unfortunately, the only animals that may survive in sustainable numbers are factory farmed. The sanitized butchered meats as food source are roughly equivalent to the role of zoos - niches that serve a purpose while the back story is consciously ignored. Only if and when humans learn to live more holistically can the pattern be reversed.

Getting involved politically is helpful, but a renaissance of thought would be welcome change.

Zoo research programs are helpful as they seek to maintain genetic diversity with the hope of buying time for a more enlightened period.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
I think "pinning" is not the right word. I think what I was trying to get across is that if we don't stop throwing animals over the cliff, we too, will become extinct. And that's just a fact.

I am writing to state representatives and trying to get a petition going.

This is all about politics and hardly nothing to do with conservation.

I am also participating in my zoo's program regarding tigers and how we need to keep this species going.

I understand your analogy, but don't believe the demise of Homo Sapiens will save the world. Whatever replaces us may be more rapacious and dismissive of our fellow inhabitants, particularly if AI.

Unfortunately, the only animals that may survive in sustainable numbers are factory farmed. The sanitized butchered meats as food source are roughly equivalent to the role of zoos - niches that serve a purpose while the back story is consciously ignored. Only if and when humans learn to live more holistically can the pattern be reversed.

Getting involved politically is helpful, but a renaissance of thought would be welcome change.

Zoo research programs are helpful as they seek to maintain genetic diversity with the hope of buying time for a more enlightened period.

Trust me, most of us have been trying to change the mentality of ranchers for years when it comes to the wolves.

My family began me on the quest of protecting those animals. We tried education, reimbursement, re-homing, and they are still not buying it. Most of them are stubbornly holding on to "the big bad wolf" fairy tale.

We live in capitalistic times, not to mention, Lobbyists times.

But we managed to make the fur industry a dirty word, so maybe there is hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I appreciate our new members who are passionate about ecology, diversity, and preservation issues. Always good to renew discussion. :)

Most Reactions