Large Parrot or Not?

The more I learn about Macaws (Blue & Gold and Greenwing), the more I feel drawn to them..... I really can't wait till I can meet and interact with some. And I'd love to hear more stories about them.

You might seriously consider an RB2. Now that I think of it, they are pretty close to everything you are asking for. Those are the low maintenance toos... but they are still toos which means structured interaction...

(Macaws also need structured interaction.)

If you go back to the thread warning about U2 behaviors, right below the My
Toos site, I posted another link...

As for macaws, they are the most toddler like of parrots. In both the good ways and the bad ways. You raise them the same way you would a human toddler, with loving guidance and boundary setting. They require a firm hand. If they figure out you can't handle them, they will take control. Then you won't be able to, because they will tend to become aggressive. SAME ATTENTION NEEDS AS A HUMAN TODDLER. This is a four hour a day job, and that's minimum!!! They are at the HIGH MAINTENANCE end of the scale, just below the large toos.

Their life expectancy is about the same as a humans. So, you have a toddler for life...

Last edited:
The more I learn about Macaws (Blue & Gold and Greenwing), the more I feel drawn to them..... I really can't wait till I can meet and interact with some. And I'd love to hear more stories about them.

You might seriously consider an RB2. Now that I think of it, they are pretty close to everything you are asking for. Those are the low maintenance toos... but they are still toos which means structured interaction...

(Macaws also need structured interaction.)

If you go back to the thread warning about U2 behaviors, right below the My
Toos site, I posted another link...

As for macaws, they are the most toddler like of parrots. In both the good ways and the bad ways. You raise them the same way you would a human toddler, with loving guidance and boundary setting. They require a firm hand. If they figure out you can't handle them, they will take control. Then you won't be able to, because they will tend to become aggressive. SAME ATTENTION NEEDS AS A HUMAN TODDLER. This is a four hour a day job, and that's minimum!!! They are at the HIGH MAINTENANCE end of the scale, just below the large toos.

Their life expectancy is about the same as a humans. So, you have a toddler for life...
A Rose Breasted cockatoo? Hmm. I will look into that! :D
I hear that they are also less noisy, and good talkers (which isn't something I am particularly striving for, it's just a plus!:))
As for the toddler-like macaws, it's just something that I'd have to think about.
I'll try to find a shop/breeder who has RB2s and interact with them.

I also would NOT recommend an umbrella cockatoo! I've never had one, but I've done research on them because I came pretty close to getting one. I would, however, love to have a rose breasted/galah cockatoo some day! They are beautiful and from my research, usually much easier to keep.

Galahs / RB2s are certainly typically much quieter than other cockatoos, and every bit as cuddly. I wouldn't say they're an easy species - mine arrived a bundle of nerves and depression and it's been a long road to get her back to a point where she seems happy and enjoying life again - but if you put the work in they are wonderful birds. Alice is not a talker, but has more than enough personality to make up for it!

My aunt had a African Grey. It was not a cuddly bird though. It was very smart but stubborn bird. So far it was the best talking bird I have seen in real life. If it did not like something (such as getting mist with water for a bath) I would yell stop and ect and try to bite my aunt. Sadly her ex husband taught the bird to be able to cuss my aunt out so if sometimes would yell profanity at her if it hated something. My aunt has claimed she will never have another bird. I have a mini macaw who is just a macaw in small form. Just as conures are in many ways a macaw in little form. Both conures and Macaws can be playful and learn tricks. Fargo is a great example of this. A lot of bird trick shows have macaws and toos in their show. I honestly more and more feel like a macaw person and would even consider someday a large macaw. I know I have a preference so far to conures and mini macaws.
I'm ruling out a Grey. I want a cuddle buddy. :)
I'm thinking about a conure and a hahns macaw. Would you mind telling me more about your hahns?
I'm also keeping a large macaw into consideration.

My Hahns is cuddly and like mini macaws is just a macaw in small forum. He can talk. I personally do not find him loud but I would search youtube to get you a idea on what mini macaws sound like. I heard sever macaws are the hardest mini macaw to own. Captain Jack makes all kinds of noise and low grumbles. He has a black tongue which he taste things with. As for conures they do not act as macaw like except for the cuddly part and the ability to be more hands on then a Amazon or African Grey. They have this call/ scream that has a certain pitch to it. The closes thing I can describe it to is like a smoke detector sound.

I can definitely see the appeal of owning a macaw, I personally gush and turn into puddles of mush whenever I see photos and hear stories of our members' macaws. That being said, after owning two small birds now I can honestly say I'm ill prepared to manage a bird that large. The mess, the expenses, the space, the attention... I hope to one day own one, but realistically I understand that in my current circumstance I won't be able to until I live in my own home and have ample time to dedicate to training, cleaning, and interaction. I'm thinking that in about 10 years I'll finally be able to add one into my family :)

If you're really interested in larger birds, I would definitely recommend any of the larger conure species or small macaws. Blue crowned conures are a personal favourite of mine! If I ever get the chance to add one to my flock I don't think I'd be able to resist. They're quite large and they generally have a great temperament if they've been socialized properly and raised with love. There's also the mitred conures, which are quite big, but I'm afraid I know little of their personalities. RB2's are also an excellent choice! They do have certain health issues they're prone to, so you do have to watch that, but they're much easier to manage in comparison to their relatives :).

But once you take time to interact with each species, you'll come to understand your own limitations and respect which birds can meet your expectations and which can't. I'm glad you're taking the time to interact with the birds you're interested in and doing research - it means you have a genuine interest in providing the best home for the right bird. Good luck in your search!

Galahs / RB2s are certainly typically much quieter than other cockatoos, and every bit as cuddly. I wouldn't say they're an easy species - mine arrived a bundle of nerves and depression and it's been a long road to get her back to a point where she seems happy and enjoying life again - but if you put the work in they are wonderful birds. Alice is not a talker, but has more than enough personality to make up for it!
Alice sounds great. :)
I suppose I'd try find either a hand fed baby, or a friendly adult.
Maybe something happened on the way to make Alice depressed?

I can definitely see the appeal of owning a macaw, I personally gush and turn into puddles of mush whenever I see photos and hear stories of our members' macaws. That being said, after owning two small birds now I can honestly say I'm ill prepared to manage a bird that large. The mess, the expenses, the space, the attention... I hope to one day own one, but realistically I understand that in my current circumstance I won't be able to until I live in my own home and have ample time to dedicate to training, cleaning, and interaction. I'm thinking that in about 10 years I'll finally be able to add one into my family :)

If you're really interested in larger birds, I would definitely recommend any of the larger conure species or small macaws. Blue crowned conures are a personal favourite of mine! If I ever get the chance to add one to my flock I don't think I'd be able to resist. They're quite large and they generally have a great temperament if they've been socialized properly and raised with love. There's also the mitred conures, which are quite big, but I'm afraid I know little of their personalities. RB2's are also an excellent choice! They do have certain health issues they're prone to, so you do have to watch that, but they're much easier to manage in comparison to their relatives :).

But once you take time to interact with each species, you'll come to understand your own limitations and respect which birds can meet your expectations and which can't. I'm glad you're taking the time to interact with the birds you're interested in and doing research - it means you have a genuine interest in providing the best home for the right bird. Good luck in your search!
Yes, I am interested in mini macaws as well. :) Particularly the Hahn's Macaw.
But I'm definitely going to learn more about the Rose Breasted Cockatoo. What a beautiful, charming bird!

Thank you! I will not decide on a bird until I know that I can give that particular species the best life possible!:D

My aunt had a African Grey. It was not a cuddly bird though. It was very smart but stubborn bird. So far it was the best talking bird I have seen in real life. If it did not like something (such as getting mist with water for a bath) I would yell stop and ect and try to bite my aunt. Sadly her ex husband taught the bird to be able to cuss my aunt out so if sometimes would yell profanity at her if it hated something. My aunt has claimed she will never have another bird. I have a mini macaw who is just a macaw in small form. Just as conures are in many ways a macaw in little form. Both conures and Macaws can be playful and learn tricks. Fargo is a great example of this. A lot of bird trick shows have macaws and toos in their show. I honestly more and more feel like a macaw person and would even consider someday a large macaw. I know I have a preference so far to conures and mini macaws.
I'm ruling out a Grey. I want a cuddle buddy. :)
I'm thinking about a conure and a hahns macaw. Would you mind telling me more about your hahns?
I'm also keeping a large macaw into consideration.

My Hahns is cuddly and like mini macaws is just a macaw in small forum. He can talk. I personally do not find him loud but I would search youtube to get you a idea on what mini macaws sound like. I heard sever macaws are the hardest mini macaw to own. Captain Jack makes all kinds of noise and low grumbles. He has a black tongue which he taste things with. As for conures they do not act as macaw like except for the cuddly part and the ability to be more hands on then a Amazon or African Grey. They have this call/ scream that has a certain pitch to it. The closes thing I can describe it to is like a smoke detector sound.
Your Hahn's sounds lovely!
I'll do that. ;) I'm also looking forward to handling one!

I remember when I was in the stage you are looking for the "right" parrot to love and buddy with and I too almost got a large Cockatoo until I met one at the beauty salon when I was getting my hair done...a customer's husband happened by to show him off. He was very, I mean VERY loud and almost out of control...but funny as all heck...quite entertaining but I knew he was not the species for me. After careful study I chose a male Eclectus...he is absolutely the perfect bird for me. He's cuddly but also independent, he's not loud but can be if he wants to be, he's social with all who visit, he talks up a storm. I could go on and on about him...can't find one thing bad to say...

The only thing I know for sure about her past is she belonged to someone who sold her to my local pet shop when they went into sheltered accomodation. I think the owner was elderly and my suspicion is that she was kept in a small cage and talked to but rarely let out. When she was in the shop - and she was there at least six months, possibly a fair bit longer - she was kept in an 18" square cage that she was terrified of coming out of, so where as other birds in the shop got regular out of cage time she was basically left to her devices. Any attempt i witnessed to take her out resulted in her clinging desperately to the bars and literally having to be pried off.

My instinct with galahs gone wrong, based on my own experience and a few others, is where other toos turn into scream 'n' plucks when their needs aren’t properly met, galahs react more by retreating into themselves and becoming fearful and withdrawn. It's definitely been a steep learning curve between me and Alice and we have a way to go yet, but it's been a great experince seing her coming out of herself over the last year or so.

I think if you went with a young baby you'd do well with a galah given your circumstances.

I remember when I was in the stage you are looking for the "right" parrot to love and buddy with and I too almost got a large Cockatoo until I met one at the beauty salon when I was getting my hair done...a customer's husband happened by to show him off. He was very, I mean VERY loud and almost out of control...but funny as all heck...quite entertaining but I knew he was not the species for me. After careful study I chose a male Eclectus...he is absolutely the perfect bird for me. He's cuddly but also independent, he's not loud but can be if he wants to be, he's social with all who visit, he talks up a storm. I could go on and on about him...can't find one thing bad to say...
Thank you! I'll also take that into consideration. :)

The only thing I know for sure about her past is she belonged to someone who sold her to my local pet shop when they went into sheltered accomodation. I think the owner was elderly and my suspicion is that she was kept in a small cage and talked to but rarely let out. When she was in the shop - and she was there at least six months, possibly a fair bit longer - she was kept in an 18" square cage that she was terrified of coming out of, so where as other birds in the shop got regular out of cage time she was basically left to her devices. Any attempt i witnessed to take her out resulted in her clinging desperately to the bars and literally having to be pried off.

My instinct with galahs gone wrong, based on my own experience and a few others, is where other toos turn into scream 'n' plucks when their needs aren’t properly met, galahs react more by retreating into themselves and becoming fearful and withdrawn. It's definitely been a steep learning curve between me and Alice and we have a way to go yet, but it's been a great experince seing her coming out of herself over the last year or so.

I think if you went with a young baby you'd do well with a galah given your circumstances.
Poor girl. :( At least she has a good home now. I'm sure it's been very emotionally rewarding to see her blossom.
Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back