KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Kiwi, the harlequin macaw
So, I have some toys for my harlequin macaw, Kiwi but they aren't really big enough for her and she manages to shred them right away. Does anyone have a favourite toy company or specific toy they like? I'm aware I need to switch out the toys for enrichment purposes and I did a ton of research on unsafe toys such as happy huts and rope toys. I'm also trying to find good foraging toys, chewing toys, exercise toys, puzzles and manipulative toys, and foot toys (I'll just get perches but if anyone knows of any actual 'foot toys' mention them please!) Any other kinds of toys I missed would be appreciated too! I have her cage all set up now. She has her own room! I just need to stock the cage with better toys. And I understand toys are supposed to be shredded but she shreds them completely within the same day I get them. She only has about four hours of staggered cage time right now but idk I might be totally wrong. Anyway thanks for all the help with Kiwi so far!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Featherland paradise plastic foraging toys are really good and durable, but they aren't meant to be destroyed, their for foraging. Planet Pleasures is good too. You could also make your own toys, I usually just order toy parts in bulk on MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com. They sell foot toys as well.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My favorite companies are…
  • Birds LOVE (not all of the toys though)
  • Bonka Bird Toys
  • Planet Pleasures; my favorite
Or as zERo said make your own, it’s fun and inexpensive. Even a scrap of toilet paper can last 10 or so minutes

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Featherland paradise plastic foraging toys are really good and durable, but they aren't meant to be destroyed, their for foraging. Planet Pleasures is good too. You could also make your own toys, I usually just order toy parts in bulk on MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com. They sell foot toys as well.
Oh thanks! I'll have to learn how to make my own bird toys! It seems fun!

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
My favorite companies are…
  • Birds LOVE (not all of the toys though)
  • Bonka Bird Toys
  • Planet Pleasures; my favorite
Or as zERo said make your own, it’s fun and inexpensive. Even a scrap of toilet paper can last 10 or so minutes
Thanks again! Would you care to mention what toys from Birds LOVE you would avoid?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks again! Would you care to mention what toys from Birds LOVE you would avoid?
Just anything with tassles, cotton rope, jingle bells, etc. But in general as long as you know what is safe and what isn't, feel free to buy from them, they do have pretty good stuff.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Coconut takes longer for the big burds to destroy.
My safe burd store has good stuff.
Bird Tricks sells natural toys in groups of 5 for different size birds. If you dont order from them you can at least snoop to see what kinds they offer for larger birds.

You can look into parrot safe wood that they can strip bark from . Willow, crepe myrtle, bottle brush are ones I know of. I planted several bottle brush so I can harvest from even the flowers are safe.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
a box. Seriously, just get a box. You’ll get a nice $100 toy and all they’ll want is the box. Just stuff the box with shredded paper and assorted toys, let him see you throw some nuts in there and let him go to town:)

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Just anything with tassles, cotton rope, jingle bells, etc. But in general as long as you know what is safe and what isn't, feel free to buy from them, they do have pretty good stuff.
Ah alright. I'll probably stick to bird stores with all safe stuff until I can kinda tell what's safe and what's not.

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Coconut takes longer for the big burds to destroy.
My safe burd store has good stuff.
Bird Tricks sells natural toys in groups of 5 for different size birds. If you dont order from them you can at least snoop to see what kinds they offer for larger birds.

You can look into parrot safe wood that they can strip bark from . Willow, crepe myrtle, bottle brush are ones I know of. I planted several bottle brush so I can harvest from even the flowers are safe.
Thanks! I'll check out the stores now!

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
a box. Seriously, just get a box. You’ll get a nice $100 toy and all they’ll want is the box. Just stuff the box with shredded paper and assorted toys, let him see you throw some nuts in there and let him go to town:)
Oh thanks! I'll see if she likes a box but I did read enclosed spaces might make them hormonal. I might just fill one with cardboard though like you suggested.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
This is just something I do for my budgies they seem to enjoy have you ever thought about a bird toy subscription box? The feathered fun box is a really great one they have boxes for Lil birds like mine medium birds like Ekkies and large boxes for birds birds like urs it's just something I'd look into too.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome. From my experience with Macaw's they demolished their toys, and very quickly. The ones I was around are a blue throat, and scarlet. We started making home made toys as it got very expensive to spend $40 on a very large toy to have it destroyed within a few days. Have you considered making a toy?

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
This is just something I do for my budgies they seem to enjoy have you ever thought about a bird toy subscription box? The feathered fun box is a really great one they have boxes for Lil birds like mine medium birds like Ekkies and large boxes for birds birds like urs it's just something I'd look into too.
Oh that's cool! I'm looking into it now.

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Hi there, and welcome. From my experience with Macaw's they demolished their toys, and very quickly. The ones I was around are a blue throat, and scarlet. We started making home made toys as it got very expensive to spend $40 on a very large toy to have it destroyed within a few days. Have you considered making a toy?
I have considered making toys, I just need to find somewhere to buy the parts

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have considered making toys, I just need to find somewhere to buy the parts
How about getting untreated lumber off cuts or sanitizing heavy branches for the macaw to tear up? You can stick them through cage bars or drill with a heavy drill bit and hang from stainless steel chain, like stuff you save from previously devoured toys.

My Meyers parrot who is likely much smaller than your big guy likes one of the bigger parrot/ macaw toys from Chewy brand. It has big wooden beads and 2-2” chunks of food-dyed wood strung on heavy cotton rope (mop-type string).

It sounds like this is a big bird that wants to chew and is chewing up small commercIal bird toys.

I would also wonder about dog rawhide toys for your macaw to chew up. Maybe you could ask a vet about this? Or you could get these toys and bake in your oven, like I do with big branches that I will use for perches (after soaking and scrubbing).

I have some coconut halves that were drink cups. I bet those would be fun to chew up. I have soaked and rinsed and baked pine cones for my birds, too. They are smaller but they enjoy tearing them up and pine cones are free.

Big bird toys are expensive! But you can make some.

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
How about getting untreated lumber off cuts or sanitizing heavy branches for the macaw to tear up? You can stick them through cage bars or drill with a heavy drill bit and hang from stainless steel chain, like stuff you save from previously devoured toys.

My Meyers parrot who is likely much smaller than your big guy likes one of the bigger parrot/ macaw toys from Chewy brand. It has big wooden beads and 2-2” chunks of food-dyed wood strung on heavy cotton rope (mop-type string).

It sounds like this is a big bird that wants to chew and is chewing up small commercIal bird toys.

I would also wonder about dog rawhide toys for your macaw to chew up. Maybe you could ask a vet about this? Or you could get these toys and bake in your oven, like I do with big branches that I will use for perches (after soaking and scrubbing).

I have some coconut halves that were drink cups. I bet those would be fun to chew up. I have soaked and rinsed and baked pine cones for my birds, too. They are smaller but they enjoy tearing them up and pine cones are free.

Big bird toys are expensive! But you can make some.
Thanks for this! It's really helpful!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for this! It's really helpful!
Just make sure it’s untreated wood; or with natural branches, scrub and then (if possible) bake them. Remember, farenheit 451. Bake them over 200 to get rid of water and kill stuff. Too hot they will scorch and stink.
I soak my branches (to make perches) in a mild bleach water solution, scrub, soak in plain water one or two times (change water), dry a bit and put in the oven if they fit. My tub is already stained, so what the hey.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Like Heather G said, get some lumber cut offs. Go to your local Home Depot, introduce yourself to the lumber manager, ask if you can take the cut offs from their scraps barrels, taking only clear pine cut offs from like 2X4's. He will likely be very glad as it saves the store from the labor of removing it, saves them space and money in the dumpster. Sweeten the deal with some nice big color phots of your macaw for them to hang up ( showing him chewing that lumber). Betcha your toy parts are free. All you need is a drill and some sisal rope. THe parrot will not care if they are colored or not!

Most Reactions