Last outing of the year and an interesting observation

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yesterday we went on the last real outing of the year with Kiwi up to the Mt. Hood area for an autumn drive. Checked out a fall foliage website and it suggested this route for this time of year (suppose to be up to date week by week), but we seem to have missed peak:( Still a beautiful drive though! We continued up to where the non-deciduous trees were. Absolutely stunning. It wasn't too terrible when we left, just a bit chilly, but holy cow! I forgot how cold the mountain air is this time of year. It was absolutely freezing and windy when we got up there, and Kiwi could not come out of the warm car to look at the views. He was still very happy to spend a couple hours in the car driving around and hanging out though. Made an interesting observation too. We've always known Kiwi was somewhat of a diva when it comes to nature, but because we went from the city to rural/wilderness during this drive we observed something we never noticed before (Joe noticed actually). He is much more animated driving around in populated areas than unpopulated. Even though there were animals, trees and plenty to look at, he was less interested in the natural scenery than he is buildings, other people, cars etc... I know there is no such things as a completely domesticated parrot, but I think ours is about as close to one as it comes. He'd definitely be a city-dweller if he were a human and would love every second of it!

DSC_9418_zpsps2ewpbc.jpg

The trees just seem to never end!
DSC_9416_zps1eyewhly.jpg

DSC_9409_zpsbg7qrbug.jpg

Beautiful granite formation. Not sure if the green stuff is some kind of paint or something natural like moss ???
DSC_9411_zpsrdwr8dqm.jpg

Late autumn in the mountains of Oregon:
DSC_9415_zpssyqiegkx.jpg

The men had to take in the beauty from inside the warm toasty car. My poor husband, ever since he got his car stolen, we've had to take mine if we aren't taking the bus and my car is all kinds of pink and girly inside:54:

DSC_9419_zpsob0jh7xy.jpg

He was pretty disappointed he couldn't come outside. I tried telling him he'd freeze his tail off, but he just sat there, looking pitiful:rolleyes:

DSC_9421_zpsu2ijtxgl.jpg

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Well at least Kiwi got to go for a ride! :D Beautiful scenery there April

I feel bad for Amy...getting too cold here too to go out and about.

Jim

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you for sharing such beautiful scenery! Poor Kiwi does not look impressed at staying in the car for sure. That's so funny how he prefers the urban settings rather than nature, he is a city boy through and through.
I love the pink, BTW:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In Michigan, we have a few places that kind of look like that, well if you gathered them all into one place that is! Although, we do have forests that do go on for what seems forever.

Both of our guys are clearly City Boys, although not that big on the Night Life. When we come over the final rigid and the City unfolds in front of us, Julio is always WOW'ed by that view.

Thanks for the Big Mountain photos. Us 'near' Flat Landers appreciate it!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Thanks for the Big Mountain photos. Us 'near' Flat Landers appreciate it!

LOL "flat landers" :D That's what I get called when I go visit folks in Maine!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks April, you live in one of the most beautiful regions of the country! Love the pic of Kiwi staring directly into the lens!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts