Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Glad to hear someone else takes their birds on the bus. I met so many people when I had Lucy with me in her carrier.

Not brightly colored doesn’t mean ugly.
Yaaaay! I'm not the only one who brings their birds on the bus, LOL!

And exactly. They don't have to be Gaudy to have their charm :)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Whatcha doing mommy?
20220618_132940~2.jpg

Trying to take pictures of you guys chewing and having fun on your hanging perch
20220618_132959.jpg

Also being easily distracted from cleaning up the humongous mess all yiu birdies make every day!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So that whole structure is suspended from heavy fishing line? I think the log you have there is light, but the rope perch and other stuff must add up in weight. Do you have a hook in the ceiling to suspend this from? It looks like a lot of fun!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
So that whole structure is suspended from heavy fishing line? I think the log you have there is light, but the rope perch and other stuff must add up in weight. Do you have a hook in the ceiling to suspend this from? It looks like a lot of fun!

I can verify that Command Hooks on the ceiling aren't good enough to hold up string and toys against a smallish parrot beak 😆

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes I used a ceiling hook rated for 25 pounds i think, and fishing line is weighted for 50 plus pounds. Its been working fine for years.

I had to borrow a ladder to reach my cathedral ceiling! Lol but so worth it! It doesn't take up floor space or a lot if visual space. Conveniently hung next to my chair.

This us also what used to hang perches over my cages and 2 other play perch areas.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just use those 2-3 inch screw in hooks, one i drilled I think.. and yes one I had to use an anchor , because I'd made several attempts to screw in and made the hole to wide but was the perfect location so I got a plastic anchor

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I was thinking of a drilled and maybe anchored hook? I bet command hooks might peel off.

I didn't think they'd last long but was hoping they'd make it through a full day. It took Cotton all of 5 minutes to pull down the birthday "pinatas" I made hahaha

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I didn't think they'd last long but was hoping they'd make it through a full day. It took Cotton all of 5 minutes to pull down the birthday "pinatas" I made hahaha
Parrots are strong! I had a plate tug if war once and was amazed Phoebe strength in holding sbd pulling plate!

I bet Cotton had fun doing demolition!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Parrots are strong! I had a plate tug if war once and was amazed Phoebe strength in holding sbd pulling plate!

I bet Cotton had fun doing demolition!
It was a classic smash-the-pinata then fling candies (millets/walnuts) everywhere then realize WAIT THERE IS CANDY and then methodically pick up every last piece one can find! 😆

I e seen Cotton hang from his beak before so I shouldnt be surprised at his strength! It's fun to see :)

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It was a classic smash-the-pinata then fling candies (millets/walnuts) everywhere then realize WAIT THERE IS CANDY and then methodically pick up every last piece one can find! 😆

I e seen Cotton hang from his beak before so I shouldnt be surprised at his strength! It's fun to see :)
That sounds great! Were these purchased piñatas? Did you make them?

(Is el burrito Mercado still around? That was a fun store and you could get piñatas there.)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
That sounds great! Were these purchased piñatas? Did you make them?

(Is el burrito Mercado still around? That was a fun store and you could get piñatas there.)
That store is still here! I used to stop there on my way home when I rode the bus :)

Some were purchased but most people would call them "bird toys" hahaha - I hung a couple foraging toys and then some paper balls, all filled with seeds and millet and walnuts. He did not expect that huge amount of food to fall all over 😂

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That store is still here! I used to stop there on my way home when I rode the bus :)

Some were purchased but most people would call them "bird toys" hahaha - I hung a couple foraging toys and then some paper balls, all filled with seeds and millet and walnuts. He did not expect that huge amount of food to fall all over 😂
I save up little raisin boxes and put a few raisins or other treat inside. Then poke some holes and hang up near the food dish after shaking the box to show there’s something in there.

(A whole boxful of raisins would be too much for a Quaker though maybe not so bad for a Meyers.)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
“When I’m in the shower, I’m afraid to wash my hair!”

After I brought Lucy home, I was getting dressed in the morning and heard a perfect imitation of a zipper. I was convinced she was a gross little boy bird spying on me.

Now I think she just enjoyed shocking me with her variety of noises.

Willow sends your attractive lady Quaker trio a big “ack ack” from up north. Maybe we could let them Zoom? He enjoys millet, long walks in the beach, sunsets, loud noises and scritches. Hates include regular Harrison’s lifetime diet and Meyers parrots.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I had to play that Michael Jackson song! Somebody is always watching me!
My one pup Alfie always must gaurd me while in shower.

Last night with all the fireworks, every dog had to join me , nothing like 4 dogs watching you sit on a toilet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts