Learning to Fly

Arwyn1313

Oct 8, 2013
Media
West Garden Grove CA
Parrots
One princess Meyers Parrot Arwyn and one handsome prince Dusky Conure Dexter
Hi everyone,
I am so excited because my husband has given the OK to let me grow out Arwyn's flight feathers!! being that she is only 10 months old and has always been clipped,will she know how to fly? Is it hard to control a flighted bird? If anyone could give me some advise about this new adventure I'm about to take I would love it! Thank you all so much. I can't wait to see my baby girl fly!!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Just keep an eye, she'll teach herself :) make sure your bond is very strong so she comes back to you. Look up flight recall methods and videos. Glad to hear you chose to let her fly, she'll be much healthier because of it.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Because she is so young, I am confident that she will learn to fly. Let her do it at her own pace. Never do the beginner's mistake of tossing the bird from your hand to force them to fly. This will affect their trust and could end in an accident. The only input I did when my sun was just beginning to fly was to leave him at his cage, stand a few feet away and call to him. If he doesn't want to, I let it go. When he comes to me after calling to him, I reward with a treat.

At first you might think it is a nightmare to have a flighted bird. In some ways it will be difficult in the beginning. Your bird is going to want to explore and get on surfaces you don't want him to. When that happens, give a stern 'NO' and take him off the surface. In time, she will learn. You will have to make sure your house is bird safe though. You and other people you share your house with must be aware of dangers. Secure cables and wires, always close toilet bowls, glass windows need to be introduced to the bird or partially covered with a blind or curtain, ceiling fans should be turned off when the bird is out, do not let the bird in the kitchen when you are cooking, watch out for open windows and doors, pets like dogs and cats, etc. There are certainly dangers to having a flighted bird. My bird flew into a closet door after being scared of something outside my window. Even with that, I still think the pros far outweigh cons.

It is actually so much easier for me to have Boomer flighted. When he was clipped, he always did this non stop distressed 'cluck' or screech when I move away from him or worse if I go to another room. Now, he is more confident and just flies to whatever room I am in. When he needs to poop, 95% of the time, he flies back to his poop perch or his tree stand. It's great for exercise, burns off excess energy and some research shows, great for their lung health. Read some threads in the free flight section to have a better understanding on it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
At such a young age he should learn relatively quick. Please make sure to have all windows eagerly covered! When learning to fly parrots don't understand they can't fly through them. I used mesh curtains that I weighted down at the bottom. This way if Rosie flew into a window she would first hit the mesh which quickly and safely slowed her down before she lightly touched the window and slid down the curtain out of breath and a little shaken. Rosie now completely understands windows.

OP
A

Arwyn1313

Oct 8, 2013
Media
West Garden Grove CA
Parrots
At such a young age he should learn relatively quick. Please make sure to have all windows eagerly covered! When learning to fly parrots don't understand they can't fly through them. I used mesh curtains that I weighted down at the bottom. This way if Rosie flew into a window she would first hit the mesh which quickly and safely slowed her down before she lightly touched the window and slid down the curtain out of breath and a little shaken. Rosie now completely understands windows.

It feels like when I had to baby proof the house when my boys were younger lol. Thank you for all the advise. I can't wait to get started!

OP
A

Arwyn1313

Oct 8, 2013
Media
West Garden Grove CA
Parrots
Because she is so young, I am confident that she will learn to fly. Let her do it at her own pace. Never do the beginner's mistake of tossing the bird from your hand to force them to fly. This will affect their trust and could end in an accident. The only input I did when my sun was just beginning to fly was to leave him at his cage, stand a few feet away and call to him. If he doesn't want to, I let it go. When he comes to me after calling to him, I reward with a treat.

At first you might think it is a nightmare to have a flighted bird. In some ways it will be difficult in the beginning. Your bird is going to want to explore and get on surfaces you don't want him to. When that happens, give a stern 'NO' and take him off the surface. In time, she will learn. You will have to make sure your house is bird safe though. You and other people you share your house with must be aware of dangers. Secure cables and wires, always close toilet bowls, glass windows need to be introduced to the bird or partially covered with a blind or curtain, ceiling fans should be turned off when the bird is out, do not let the bird in the kitchen when you are cooking, watch out for open windows and doors, pets like dogs and cats, etc. There are certainly dangers to having a flighted bird. My bird flew into a closet door after being scared of something outside my window. Even with that, I still think the pros far outweigh cons.

It is actually so much easier for me to have Boomer flighted. When he was clipped, he always did this non stop distressed 'cluck' or screech when I move away from him or worse if I go to another room. Now, he is more confident and just flies to whatever room I am in. When he needs to poop, 95% of the time, he flies back to his poop perch or his tree stand. It's great for exercise, burns off excess energy and some research shows, great for their lung health. Read some threads in the free flight section to have a better understanding on it.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the nice comments!

Most Reactions