Leg Band ID

Lola2020

Aug 26, 2020
I just adapted a conure from a friend. He received the bird from his friend. i would like to find more info about this Bird.
Is there a list or registration site?
leg band says : GIB M 14 341

Regards

Lola

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
The leg bands, as I understand, are a way for the breeders to identify their birds and sexes. I believe the right leg is for male and the tag on the left leg is for female.

Here is an article you can read. Click HERE

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
IDK what GIB means but I think the M is for Michigan, 14 could be the year it was born and the 341 is the number of the bird

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In 2020, Leg Bands are only for the specific use of a Breeder to keep track of 'their' breeding programs to assure that they are not over breeding their pairs and to assure that they are not inbreeding members of the same families. Once they leave the Breeder's facility, there is limited to no linkage back to a source.

Several decades ago when Parrots where 'imported' banding was common and records where maintained. Those days are now long past.

There are a couple of 'band' manufacturers' that still make bands and they maybe able to connect the number with a Breeder name, but I would not place great hope as they rarely maintain records more than a year at most.

Check the Pet Stores in your area, one may remember the name of a Breeder that used that set of letters and numbers.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Agreed with Sailboat

There are no longer any 'leg banding standards' these days to be able to figure out the backstory behind the bird, it just whatever the breeder pulls out of the little bag of bands and puts on the bird and keeps the records for himself

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
My GCC is female so she should have a band on her left leg. Someone forgot to tell the breeders at the hatchery. Her band is on the right.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Are you in the UK? The parrot society has access to some breeders who are registered with them, but most breeders aren't as I understand it. They also have different colours for different hatch years. Unfortunately though breeders can put whatever they want on bands. The hatch year is very very common. The rest of the letters and numbers could mean absolutely anything.

Most Reactions