legality and ownership

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
as i am searching around for a first bird, i was told by a petco employee (most likely not the most knowledgeable person) that macaws are illegal to own in pennsylvania. I dont think that is the case but figured id ask anyway to be safe. Are there any species out there i should be aware of being a resident of pa? Thanks

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I'm fairly certain I know a couple of PA macaw owners, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're legal. PA seems to have some pretty strict regulations on exotics, from what I've seen. You should check PAs DNR website. They normally have a list of illegal exotics on states' DNR or Fish and Game sites.

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Butch - citronella 'too 1988
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
THe bird shop I deal with has them... Never heard of them being illegal and I live in PA. It''s possible that there is a local ordinance.

Sassy

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I've never heard of macaws being illegal to own in Pennsylvania. Quakers are illegal in PA however.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
LOL I'm sorry Rio Mom for going here but I couldn't help but thinking about the Amish with your post.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Yep all parrots are legal in Pennsylvania except Quakers, but here is what the law says

Pennsylvania

Category: L

Summary of Law: No person may keep exotic wildlife without first receiving a permit from the wildlife commission. Exotic wildlife includes, but is not limited to all bears, coyotes, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cheetahs, cougars, wolves, and any crossbreed of these animals, which have similar characteristics in appearance or features.

Citation: 34 PA. CONS. STAT. ANN. §2961 and §2963 58 Pa. Code §137.1.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
LOL I'm sorry Rio Mom for going here but I couldn't help but thinking about the Amish with your post.

LOL!!! There's a lot of Amish people not far from where I live! I actually thought briefly about them too as I made that post too!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I jut left a message with the PA Game Commerce Specail Permits and when I receive a call back, I will post what parrots are legal and illegal and which require permits an so forth. The Commerce says the law vairies for different types and of course there are specific cities ban, which hopefully I can get all written down to post. I am moving to PA too July 31st and I know many of people who own birds, without permit, etc, but I prefer to do so with a permit if required in case it should get lost or stolen, or when I take her public outings there will be no problem what so ever :)

I have heard Quakers are illegal in many states because they are one of the hardiest of all parrots, so can very easily live in the wild and the ones that do eat up crops terribly. It's very bad to have them wild for our agriculture. Silly, law, but yeah.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Just got off the phone:

Quakers are illegal

No parrots require permits unless for showing or breeding

OP
P

potamotrygon

Jul 15, 2012
Wow, great replies. I appreciate the help. I actually saw some quakers for sale out of md and since i live a few miles from the pa md line i.considered checking them out. Glad to know! thanks again.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
yep you can't even travel through Pa. with a quaker they can and will conficate and kill your bird without any appeal the only quakers allowed in Pa. are the Amish ones.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I have heard Quakers are illegal in many states because they are one of the hardiest of all parrots, so can very easily live in the wild and the ones that do eat up crops terribly. It's very bad to have them wild for our agriculture. Silly, law, but yeah.

Actually, most naturalized (wild) Quakers live in urban areas, and seldom in rural locations, and are in fact generally not an agricultural pest. :)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
yep because usually they are pets. I dont see the big deal. They act like one little free quaker is going to eat a whole field or if one gets lose were all going to just set our quakers free to flock

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The issue with wild quakers, they are the only parrot to build their own nest and not cavity nesters like most parrots. They can build eagle size nest over the years and love to build them in sub-stations used for power tranmission. Power companies hate them. Here in Fla they are very common and you can see their nest from miles away. I'm sure they could be an agricultural problem ,but most seem to hang out a McDonalds and Burger King.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts