Lethargic Parakeet - Does it just want me to hold him?

JoeJoe

Apr 18, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
1x - Green Alexandrine - 1x Green Quaker - 3x Lovebirds - 2x Cockatiels - 2x Zebra Finches
I got a little Parakeet named Sunny about 1 month ago. I brought him out of the cage and let him perch on my finger about 3 weeks after buying him. Now I have been noticing he has been showing symptoms of lethargy by sitting at the bottom of the cage, sleeping a lot, only getting up to eat seed, etc.

Because he was at the bottom of the cage I was hesitant to bother him. Now today I took him out and he seems to be back to himself again. He is perched on his perches again after I let him back in his home.

Is it possible this Parakeet is just very attached to me from the first time I held him? He lives alone in his cage, no other parakeets.

So, has anyone else experienced something like this with their bird?

s_car_go

Jan 19, 2016
Houston Tx
Parrots
M&F Eclectus (Rainbeau & Ruby), B&G Macaw (Lulu Bell), and Hyacinth (Harley)
Sounds like a visit to the vet is called for.

All your symptoms would have me running to my vet.

OP
J

JoeJoe

Apr 18, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
1x - Green Alexandrine - 1x Green Quaker - 3x Lovebirds - 2x Cockatiels - 2x Zebra Finches
That's what I thought I would have to do but Sunny seems fine after bringing him out of cage. I truly think this bird is just really attached to me bonding with it.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think this bird should be seen by an avian vet. Birds try to mask their symptoms the best they can, until they can't anymore. By then, a lot of the time it's too late. Budgies are so small and delicate too. Please take your little guy to an avian vet ASAP.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I wholeheartedly agree with the preceding concerns. Sunny may be closely bonded to you, but the behaviors strongly suggest health issues. Please take Sunny to an avian vet.

Laughingwillow

Apr 20, 2016
Canada
Parrots
English Budgies Rasta & Emilio - American Budgies Cloud & Twila
Prolonged sitting at the bottom of the cage usually is not a good sign even if he seemed to perk up by your presence. Please check with a AV or vet :)

Light & Love

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I also feel a trip to the vet is warranted here sooner rather than later...I would make an emergency appointment with your nearest Avian Vet ASAP. Hope the little guy will be okay

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Please keep us posted here, and let us know what goes on. Thanks, and good luck :).

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Another vote for the vet. As Julie said they mask their symptoms and how they are feeling very well. And please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions