Lions Mane Mushrooms

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
I have a question about Lions Mane Mushrooms. There is a gal on the Lovebird forums on Facebook that may have a brain injured Lovebird. Would just a tiny bit of Lion's Mane mushroom be ok? Somewhere I had heard that mushrooms are a no no for parrots. If they are some toxic or psychedelic kind I could understand, but medicinal mushrooms like Lions' Mane (good for Nerve Growth Factor) improvement, as well as Reishi or some of the other commonly used types of mushrooms used for more medicinal purposes.
Safe?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
"Safe?" To my knowledge, no. Not safe. Mushrooms are not to be fed to birds, ever. They are on the "toxic foods" list. Maybe one or two bites won't kill them, but it's not worth it. And lion's mane is no exception.

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
"Safe?" To my knowledge, no. Not safe. Mushrooms are not to be fed to birds, ever. They are on the "toxic foods" list. Maybe one or two bites won't kill them, but it's not worth it. And lion's mane is no exception.
thank you for that. I was curious as to the "why" on mushrooms and found 2 links talking about mushrooms and the "why" they might be avoided for parrots, and on this one link, it does talk about what's in a mushroom that can be troublesome. However, as one site pointed out "
Parrots can eat button, cremini, portobello, and porcini mushrooms. These types of mushrooms must be boiled to remove any harmful toxins before consumption. NEVER feed a parrot raw or wild mushrooms.

These mushrooms have low amounts of agaritine and hydrazine and don’t contain formaldehyde. Once thoroughly cooked, mushrooms are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin B, copper, and potassium."
This info was found here: https://www.allaboutparrots.com/can-parrots-eat-mushrooms/ and another link I found talking about parrots eating mushroom was written by an Avian vet, at this link: https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/foods-toxic-pet-birds/

the Lovebird in question is considered for being put down. I was grasping at ideas that might work to avoid that end.

Most Reactions

Latest posts