Liquidy droppings

Sophiee

Jul 11, 2023
Parrots
I have a an almost one-year-old cockatiel named Loki
I need your help and knowledge, my cockatiel Loki has been leaving liquidy droppings for months, we still try to figure out what may cause this. We had been suspecting he might be sick but he is really active, eats, drinks, takes care of himself and sings. We also suspect that it might be a diet issue, we always bought him a bag including a variety of seeds but we are unsure if that's the issue. What can we do to help our parrot get better?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I need your help and knowledge, my cockatiel Loki has been leaving liquidy droppings for months, we still try to figure out what may cause this. We had been suspecting he might be sick but he is really active, eats, drinks, takes care of himself and sings. We also suspect that it might be a diet issue, we always bought him a bag including a variety of seeds but we are unsure if that's the issue. What can we do to help our parrot get better?
Does your bird eat fruits and veggies? If so they can cause a lot of liquid in the droppings as can drinking a lot of water. I would bring him to an avian vet for a check up to make sure.

OP
S

Sophiee

Jul 11, 2023
Parrots
Does your bird eat fruits and veggies? If so they can cause a lot of liquid in the droppings as can drinking a lot of water. I would bring him to an avian vet for a check up to make su
He sure does! Is there anything else I can do if we don't have an avian vet where I live ?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Are the droppings normal in color? Are they always runny or only after he has eaten more watery foods or bathed?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He sure does! Is there anything else I can do if we don't have an avian vet where I live ?
Don't worry! Your bird is most likely fine because he looks, eats, drinks, and behaves like a healthy bird that eats a lot of healthy foods. Bird poop is solid waste (the greenish stuff) plus whitish urates plus excess water (urine) it all comes out the same hole at the same time. As long as the greenish stuff is semi-solid, having a lot of urine is normal when a bird consumes wet foods like fruits and veggies.

OP
S

Sophiee

Jul 11, 2023
Parrots
Are the droppings normal in color? Are they always runny or only after he has eaten more watery foods or bathed?
They are always runny but they seem fine in color, it's just the excessive urine which makes it liquidy but I have no idea about the cause.

OP
S

Sophiee

Jul 11, 2023
Parrots
Don't worry! Your bird is most likely fine because he looks, eats, drinks, and behaves like a healthy bird that eats a lot of healthy foods. Bird poop is solid waste (the greenish stuff) plus whitish urates plus excess water (urine) it all comes out the same hole at the same time. As long as the greenish stuff is semi-solid, having a lot of urine is normal when a bird consumes wet foods like fruits and veggies.
Thank you so much! This puts my mind at ease.<3

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
They are always runny but they seem fine in color, it's just the excessive urine which makes it liquidy but I have no idea about the cause.
If it's any help, mine eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and they have very runny poops, but normal in colour. I worried about mine too, but when they eat more dry foods their droppings are dryer :)

OP
S

Sophiee

Jul 11, 2023
Parrots
If it's any help, mine eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and they have very runny poops, but normal in colour. I worried about mine too, but when they eat more dry foods their droppings are dryer :)
Thank you!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts