Lovebird clicking noise and tail vibrating (or bobbing im unsure)

sunriselovie

Feb 22, 2021
Parrots
lovebird
Hello! Does anyone know why my lovebird is doing this? Is this just a behavioural thing or does he have an illness? His tail moves up and down very fast like itā€™s vibrating and he would make clicking noises. He acts normal and is very active! Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello! Does anyone know why my lovebird is doing this? Is this just a behavioural thing or does he have an illness? Thanks :)

Hi sunriselovie - clicking and tailbobbing can be an indicator of illness, so it would be in your interest to have your bird checked out by a certified avian vet. I'm not sure exactly where in the world you're located, but the following resource should help you to find an avian vet close to you if you are not already familiar with one ...

I wish you and your lovie all the very best!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It's very difficult to tell from the video to be honest with you, and do please bear in mind that we are not avian vets here. Is this a new behaviour that you are observing?

OP
S

sunriselovie

Feb 22, 2021
Parrots
lovebird
It's very difficult to tell from the video to be honest with you, and do please bear in mind that we are not avian vets here. Is this a new behaviour that you are observing?
I think iā€™ve seen him do this once before! His tail moves up and down really fast like itā€™s vibrating and he would make clicking noises

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I think iā€™ve seen him do this once before!
If that's the case then it may be a lovebird thing, so I hope some lovie owners here will weigh in too. Rather than internal "clicking" upon breathing as such, which can indicate respiratory illness, your lovie looks to be "crackling" his beak, which may be more behavioural. But nobody knows your bird's behaviours better than you do, so if you are still concerned, nothing beats a hands-on exam by a certified avian vet, particularly if he has not had a wellness check in the last 12 months. :)

OP
S

sunriselovie

Feb 22, 2021
Parrots
lovebird
Hello! Does anyone know why my lovebird is doing this? Is this just a behavioural thing or does he have an illness? Thanks :)
View attachment 38326
If that's the case then it may be a lovebird thing, so I hope some lovie owners here will weigh in too. Rather than internal "clicking" upon breathing as such, which can indicate respiratory illness, your lovie looks to be "crackling" his beak, which may be more behavioural. But nobody knows your bird's behaviours better than you do, so if you are still concerned, nothing beats a hands-on exam by a certified avian vet, particularly if he has not had a wellness check in the last 12 months. :)
Ohh i see! Okay thanks so much, i appreciate the help :)

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
Just wanted to say that's such a cute bird!

I kept gouldian finches for many years. When they made clicking noises like that and started tail bobbing, I knew they had air sac mites. Which made it hard for them to breathe. BUT as other have pointed out, it could be something else in your love bird, and might be behavioural.

Ren_M

Apr 13, 2019
I would go to the vet to be 100% sure nothing is wrong. However, my lovebird of 17 years used to do this when he was h*rny šŸ¤£. Especially the scratching the face with the foot occasionally, which I see your bird does in the video. I gave him a stuffed animal that was easily mountable and washed it frequently. I knew that behavior was not sickness bc heā€™d go to town on the stuffed animal lol. What a weird thing to deal as a pet owner šŸ˜‚

Most Reactions