Making the move

texsize73

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Joined
Oct 23, 2015
Messages
4,795
Reaction score
7,090
Location
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo R.I.P.)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
3 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
Cheddar
2 Congo AG (Bella, Clara)
5 Cockatiels
It looks like we really will be making the move from Southern California to Southern Oregon.
It’s only been a distant dream and not something Ive taken seriously..
I know more/less my plan to get the birds up here.
Got to be two separate trips.
The Tiels will come first with my son.
My son and the Tiels will stay in the north and I will go back for the big birds Oh and the wife of course.
But the cages ??

Bella needs a new cage so that’s one cage that doesn’t have be moved.
But the cages need to be in place almost immediately after I bring up the birds.

Has anyone else had to deal with similar issues in a big move?
 
  • Care
Reactions: AMD
I have NOT had to move my birds, but I do wish you and the family the BEST of luck with your entire move.
 
How big is big? My cage is almost big enough for the 3 stooges to fit in. Nameliss is car comfortable with her travel carrier. We've spent days traveling cross country. I timed move so her monster cage arrived a day earlier than us. I had area picked out cage cleaned and ready to use. Daughter put it in position. When we arrived I placed her in cage, no problems. Furniture dolly did all the work. Once together it's on wheels. Nameliss is not very particular about changes. So my move went smoothly. I was prepared to spend a night in the car.
 
How big is big? My cage is almost big enough for the 3 stooges to fit in. Nameliss is car comfortable with her travel carrier. We've spent days traveling cross country. I timed move so her monster cage arrived a day earlier than us. I had area picked out cage cleaned and ready to use. Daughter put it in position. When we arrived I placed her in cage, no problems. Furniture dolly did all the work. Once together it's on wheels. Nameliss is not very particular about changes. So my move went smoothly. I was prepared to spend a night in the car.
The larger cages are 32ā€ wide don’t know how tall maybe 60ā€.
If you send the cages ahead where did your birds stay in the meantime?
 
take em apart and lay flat?
That’s possible with the smaller dome type cage and the slightly smaller play top cage.

Both cage’s I ordered and put together so I have a vague memory of how 2 do it.
(This is the double cage that Merlin & Cheddar are in)

The 32ā€ cage Luna is in ……If I put it together I don’t remember it. It must come apart somehow.

Bella’s cage is 32ā€ but it’s coming apart and not worth moving.

I currently have a compact car (VW Jetta TDI) and a smaller SUV (Nissan Xterra).

Jetta is fine for taking birds in transport cages but the cages won’t fit even disassembled.

Xterra could handle some of the cages with the back seats out or down.

There is one ā€œace in the hole ā€œ and that is my father left me his Toyota 4x4 pickup truck.
Been sitting a while so needs a bit of maintenance.
Can fit lots in the truck bed and it’s rigged to tow a trailer (dad had a little race car he took her/there).

There are problems involved with that option
Adding a third vehicle to my insurance is just one of them.

But the more I look at it the more sense it makes.
Leave my Jetta ā€œup hereā€ and drive the pickup back down.
If nothing else it’ll help me cleaning out the house.
 
I've only moved from point A to Point B in my city, not across provinces/states. Some of my BIIIIIIIG old cages had to be taken apart. The smaller ones fit on the truck fine, while the birds were in travel cages.
 
Back
Top Bottom