Not open for further replies.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
View attachment 26209
My new Buddy! He really loves scratches and I really love that he really loves scratches. ❤️

26209d1620939302-may-2021-potm-contest-f53f5bc1-d1b8-4ecd-8eac-2c9d99792439.jpg

I just love when they close their eyes and lay their beak down against you lol Amy gets so into skritches that his eyes close,his head turns sideway and lays it down on my knee,his beak is open with his tongue sticking out..truly in birdie heaven lol.

Love me some Buddy! My Smokey (also a TAG) wouldn't allow any type of touches :eek: I think if she experienced a skritch or two she would have been hooked.

Jim

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
I started taking Meisha on neighborhood walks in 1990, before she earned her wings. Recovering from heart surgery, my father set the pace. The activity evolved into a favorite over the decades, advancing into speed-walks at parks and dedicated bike-routes that tandem as jogging-trails.

The following images were taken recently while giving Meisha the opportunity to be in the sun, even overcast days, for vitamin D. The necessary nutrient is a catalyst in processing calcium. Our current distance record to date without interruptions, with the exception of traffic lights and inquires, is 17-miles with a duration of 5;11;35.

The collection of smiles from people passing by is amazing.

5-21-Speed-walks-v-A.gif

5-21-Speed-walks-v-B.gif

Disclaimer: Outdoor activities, if experienced, should be performed responsibly.
Risk management should be exercised to prevent avian injury and loss by knowing
your limits and the limits of the bird.

Entry Classification: Funzie

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I started taking Meisha on neighborhood walks in 1990, before she earned her wings. Recovering from heart surgery, my father set the pace. The activity evolved into a favorite over the decades, advancing into speed-walks at parks and dedicated bike-routes that tandem as jogging-trails.

The following images were taken recently while giving Meisha the opportunity to be in the sun, even overcast days, for vitamin D. The necessary nutrient is a catalyst in processing calcium. Our current distance record to date without interruptions, with the exception of traffic lights and inquires, is 17-miles with a duration of 5;11;35.

The collection of smiles is amazing.

5-21-Speed-walks-v-A.gif

5-21-Speed-walks-v-B.gif

Disclaimer: Outdoor activities, if experienced, should be performed responsibly.

Stunning pictures of Meisha! She looks so incredibly happy.
Which one would you like to be your entry? That's going to be hard to pick between:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

The collection of smiles from people passing by is amazing.

5-21-Speed-walks-v-A.gif

5-21-Speed-walks-v-B.gif

Remarkable pics of Meisha enjoying the great outdoors while her humans develop superhuman cardio endurance!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Thank you for the comments

Which one would you like to be your entry? That's going to be hard to pick between:)

I'm thinking just a funzie for now.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you for the comments

I'm thinking just a funzie for now.

I can't wait to see your entry after these just for funs!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
A favorite experience for us has been a science project inspired by Meisha.

My son entered a regional science competition, selecting engineering. The specific category was rocketry. The objective was to reengineer an Estes Alpha rocket.
I advised I would assist him, however that he would have to take ownership of the project, make the decisions and do the work.

Project Name: Too Fast

Too-Fast.gif

Recognitions:

Event Award: First Place in Class
Event Award: Overall Event Recognition
Special Recognition: Parrot exposure to the local junior science community; management and members.
Special Recognition (unconfirmed): Fastest cockatoo feather flight.
Special Recognition (unconfirmed): First rocket constructed using keratin based biomass.
Flock Designation Identification: Insignia located on the vertical tail fin and as nose art.

Credits:

Concept / Design / Engineering: Junior Engineer
Design Consultant: Meisha
Product Development / Manufacturing / Troubleshooting: Junior Engineer
OEM / Original Equipment Manufacturers: Estes / Meisha
Project Quartermaster (supplies, tools, transportation, progress historical record): WhiteFlight

Engineering Achievements: Skippable Technobabble

Wing Design: Swept Elliptical Tapered Hybrid
Resembling a static version of the variable cockatoo wing design.
Wing Structure, Each: Tapered leading edge frame with twenty-four flight feathers, each unique. Open areas at the feather calamus (quill) to leading edge joints have been closed off using modified flight feathers sectioned to fit, stabilizing airflow over the wing.

Two Descent Recovery Systems:
Low Wind / Parachute Assist Descent: Requires engine selection, parachute deployment charge.
High Wind / Tumble Return Descent: Requires engine selection, parachute deployment charge DELETE.

Wing to Fuselage Construction / Wing-Box: Special engineering considerations were applied to achieve structural integrity combined with design function for the parachute assist descent system. A closed wing-box would have prevented parachute deployment. An open framed style wing-box was custom fabricated from an Estes engine block. The design secured the wing assembly to the fuselage with allowance for the parachute deployment charge to pass from the engine through the wing-box to the upper fuselage section housing the parachute assembly and nosecone.

Stability Test Results: PASSED
Wing positioning with overall weight considerations achieved by the project engineer.

Entry Classification: Official

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

My son entered a regional science competition, selecting engineering. The specific category was rocketry. The objective was to reengineer an Estes Alpha rocket.
I advised I would assist him, however that he would have to take ownership of the project, make the decisions and do the work.

Too-Fast.gif

Recognitions:

Special Recognition: Parrot exposure to the local junior science community; management and members.
Special Recognition (unconfirmed): First rocket constructed using keratin based biomass.
Flock Designation Identification: Insignia located on the vertical tail fin and as nose art.

Credits:

Project Quartermaster (supplies, tools, transportation, progress historical record): WhiteFlight

Wing Structure, Each: Tapered leading edge frame with twenty-four flight feathers, each unique. Open areas at the feather calamus (quill) to leading edge joints have been closed off using modified flight feathers sectioned to fit, stabilizing airflow over the wing.

Low Wind / Parachute Assist Descent: Requires engine selection, parachute deployment charge.
High Wind / Tumble Return Descent: Requires engine selection, parachute deployment charge DELETE.

Wing to Fuselage Construction / Wing-Box: Special engineering considerations were applied to achieve structural integrity combined with design function for the parachute assist descent system. A closed wing-box would have prevented parachute deployment. An open framed style wing-box was custom fabricated from an Estes engine block. The design secured the wing assembly to the fuselage with allowance for the parachute deployment charge to pass from the engine through the wing-box to the upper fuselage section housing the parachute assembly and nosecone.

Wing positioning with overall weight considerations achieved by the project engineer.

Wow, I'm blown away by the creativity, accomplishment, and sheer beauty of Misha's repurposed feathers!! Amazing entry!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congratulation's Good Friend! It is clear that the Apple does not fall far from the Tree in your household! Your son's project, inspired by a certain white Parrot is inspiring!!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Too-Fast.gif

Recognitions:

Credits:

WOW! That was amazing to watch, what an incredible project your son came up with and executed with so much attention to detail. The rocket is so beautiful, I hope you have it displayed somewhere!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Remarkable pics of Meisha enjoying the great outdoors while her humans develop superhuman cardio endurance!

Meisha’s fun factor was dampened yesterday on our four-mile jaunt, by frequent sprinkles:

Damp-Walk-v1-2-v2f.png

Wow, I'm blown away by the creativity, accomplishment, and sheer beauty of Misha's repurposed feathers!! Amazing entry!!
Congratulation's Good Friend! It is clear that the Apple does not fall far from the Tree in your household! Your son's project, inspired by a certain white Parrot is inspiring!!
WOW! That was amazing to watch, what an incredible project your son came up with and executed with so much attention to detail. The rocket is so beautiful, I hope you have it displayed somewhere!

Indeed on display in our living room. When my son approached me with, "I want to combine feather flight with rocket flight," I broke out in laughter. He got the last laugh.

The project and event experience was grand. The memories are wonderful.

In making the official entry gif, I reviewed 189 images taken of the project, editing it down to 39. Each cropped appropriately to the subject, the high res files were resized down to 800 x 600 pixels at 72 res. I created the intro page with InDesign. Wanting the background blurred, I duplicated the blueprint. Applied a 50% transparency to both and staggered the position of the top image slightly, to achieve the blur.

The last two photos in the series were taken in our backyard. I took quite a few, trying to capture the best poses. My son was much more patient than Meisha who repeatedly flew to the roof. The shot of the two of them looking at each other won over the following photo with my son wearing his event shirt. I have this one framed and on my office desk:

Feather-Flight-M-J-Pose-72.png

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Meisha’s fun factor was dampened yesterday on our four-mile jaunt, by frequent sprinkles:

Damp-Walk-v1-2-v2f.png

Indeed on display in our living room. When my son approached me with, "I want to combine feather flight with rocket flight," I broke out in laughter. He got the last laugh.

The project and event experience was grand. The memories are wonderful.

In making the official entry gif, I reviewed 189 images taken of the project, editing it down to 39. Each cropped appropriately to the subject, the high res files were resized down to 800 x 600 pixels at 72 res. I created the intro page with InDesign. Wanting the background blurred, I duplicated the blueprint. Applied a 50% transparency to both and staggered the position of the top image slightly, to achieve the blur.

The last two photos in the series were taken in our backyard. I took quite a few, trying to capture the best poses. My son was much more patient than Meisha who repeatedly flew to the roof. The shot of the two of them looking at each other won over the following photo with my son wearing his event shirt. I have this one framed and on my office desk:

Feather-Flight-M-J-Pose-72.png

Your son is prime evidence of the wonders of youth! Boundless curiosity unfettered by adult experiences. You may not know for a decade or so what potentialities were unlocked by Too Flight! Your gif entries are magnificent and testament to skills and passion. (The "apple" didn't fall far from the "tree!") Terrific image of your son, Meisha, and accolades!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oooooooh, pardon me... the Rb and I were out of pocket this month, but we wanted to chime in at the last minute with a with a totally ridiculous entry. It's my favorite bit of foolishness, and always makes me laugh, or groan or both! Some of you know that the Rb loves J-Lo, and has picked up on some of hs favorite lyrics. Here is a psychedelicized version of her "Booty".
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIDQONX4XA"]rickeybirdproductions - Booty (Psychedelic Version) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hahahahaha! I have a new favorite now too! Thanks for making my morning, Sistah! Rickybird is definitely a manly man what looooooves da BOOTY! :D

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oooooooh, pardon me... the Rb and I were out of pocket this month, but we wanted to chime in at the last minute with a with a totally ridiculous entry. It's my favorite bit of foolishness, and always makes me laugh, or groan or both! Some of you know that the Rb loves J-Lo, and has picked up on some of hs favorite lyrics. Here is a psychedelicized version of her "Booty".
rickeybirdproductions - Booty (Psychedelic Version) - YouTube

HAHAHA! This is hysterical, and I can never get enough of it. I'm so glad you picked it for this month, it is priceless!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

rickeybirdproductions - Booty (Psychedelic Version) - YouTube

100% psychedelic, laughing my booty off! :D

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Taken back in 2017. Just another one she shows off her cuteness and colors

Nike1-30-17-January%2030,%202017-1.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Adorable, amazing diversity of Nike's feathers best appreciated when pic is enlarged full-size!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Bill, what a gorgeous picture of Nike! The amazing colours of the HH always amaze me, and your photo really captures the intricacies of her colours. She also has such a sweet expression on her beautiful face. Great shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts