May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yup agree 100%! Another thing I completely dislike is when people tell me(especially adults that knew me since I was a baby) is "oh your autism has improved soo much you don't even look autistic anymore!" Yeah right. While I don't stim as much and have learned to adapt to loud sounds, and while I am not as sensitive anymore, doesn't mean that my autism gone. It still exists and WILL stay forever. I still struggle with sensory issues. Even if a "cure" existed(I hate the fact that people support cures for autism and I hate it when people donated to terrible charities that try to find a cure(like "autism speaks"), I wouldn't take it. Yes, I do have struggles. Yes, it's tiring at time. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't have autism. I was only told that I'm autistic last year and people suddenly think that I only stim because I heard of my diagnoses but I stimmed since I can remember.. yeah it's not easy being autistic in a world of neurotypical people especially with all the stereotypes out there and the myths.. but it will get better(at least I hope it does..)! The hardest part isn't being different, but people that judge you FOR being different. I hope that will change soon.​
I almost got kicked out of my school for having tics, and one time I went to the nurse to get an ice pack, and I had a throwing tic at the time, so I was walking down the hallway and I threw the ice pack. One of the teachers yelled at me, then the nurse, instead of helping, continued to mock me and joke about me to that teacher.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'm so sorry you went through that! that is just terrible of the teachers and nurse! I hope that it'll get better for you in the future.. I personally don't know anyone with Tourette's/ticcing disorders..
I did have a friend who supposedly had a tic disorder...but it developed right around the time that it was a huge trend to have tics (inspired by TikTok), and sometimes she's 'forget' to tic...or forget her tics

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
:mad:I hate it when people make fun of conditions or even worse, pretend to have it. It's those kind of people I avoid at all costs.
I..I just want to point out something...

In the 'parrots' section, you spelled 'cocketiel' wrong....its cockatiel...

Sorry, just had to point that out:(

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
totally fine! which post was it in?
In the section where it says your parrots, under your pfp and nationality. 'Pippen (cocketiel)'

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yup it's a lot more pleasing to look at without the misspelling

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm loving the camaraderie but ask we focus the conversation to sharing mental health issues, personal experiences, adaptations, etc. A casual reader (many from Google search) may be dissuaded from partaking valuable information from occasional extraneous dialog. Thank y'all kindly! ❀️

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'm loving the camaraderie but ask we focus the conversation to sharing mental health issues, personal experiences, adaptations, etc. A casual reader (many from Google search) may be dissuaded from partaking valuable information from occasional extraneous dialog. Thank y'all kindly! ❀️
Ahh, sorry, we get sidetracked....
BUT WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would go onto a PARROT FORUM to search for MENTAL HEALTH???

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ahh, sorry, we get sidetracked....
BUT WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would go onto a PARROT FORUM to search for MENTAL HEALTH???
No worries, but you'd be surprised the traffic we receive via Google search. Forum totally transparent to non-members; they can lurk but cannot post.

Example: I Googled "parrot mental health" and found this link among others: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/mental-illness-and-owning-parrots.74949/

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Yup agree 100%! Another thing I completely dislike is when people tell me(especially adults that knew me since I was a baby) is "oh your autism has improved soo much you don't even look autistic anymore!" Yeah right. While I don't stim as much and have learned to adapt to loud sounds, and while I am not as sensitive anymore, doesn't mean that my autism gone. It still exists and WILL stay forever. I still struggle with sensory issues. Even if a "cure" existed(I hate the fact that people support cures for autism and I hate it when people donated to terrible charities that try to find a cure(like "autism speaks"), I wouldn't take it. Yes, I do have struggles. Yes, it's tiring at time. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't have autism. I was only told that I'm autistic last year and people suddenly think that I only stim because I heard of my diagnoses but I stimmed since I can remember.. yeah it's not easy being autistic in a world of neurotypical people especially with all the stereotypes out there and the myths.. but it will get better(at least I hope it does..)! The hardest part isn't being different, but people that judge you FOR being different. I hope that will change soon.​
I have a bit similar situation. As a child I was more "different" than others. But when I was 15 I had a test after which it was said that I have Asperger's Syndrome. Nobody told me about it. I saw it somewhere written and asked my mom "I thought it wasn't confirmed". What did she say? It is written by ACCIDENT.
3 years later I asked about it again. She said - "it was confirmed, but you grew up. You don't have it any longer" (or something like this)
I searched some information and it is normal that some syndromes pass... But not the illness! Asperger's Syndrome is the only responsible answer why I have a single interest (recently not so single, but parrots still rock), a stable life rhythm, troubles in keeping negative emotions etc. But my parents don't see it (just sometimes) because in every day life I'm "normal"

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I hate it when people say stuff like that. It's IMPOSSIBLE to "grow out of it". Sensory problems might get less severs, and you might be able to start masking your behavior better, but that DOES NOT MEAN that your autism magically disappeared. Autism isn't an illness, it's a condition. That's why they can't find a cure(I hate the fact that people still want one, but that is just my opinion). It's also IMPOSSIBLE to get autism later in life. It's something your born with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions