May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Well, I guess I'll start. I have sensory issues, or medically, a semi-mild case of SPD, presistant tic disorder and possibly autism. Its hard cuz every day is a new challenge. Going on the bus, I need to wear earplugs or cover my ears. I need to stim a LOT, because that's just a SPD thing, but people look at me funny. Also, having sensory overload is really hard. No one in my family understands why I will go from covering my ears to sobbing and running to the bathroom when no one else seems bothered. Are there any other members who have sensory issues or a tic disorder? Anyhow, you can always post on this thread to talk about mental health. Also, I am always open to talk!

Love y'all!
Oliver Rose (female....for now)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Before I write anything, I will mention that if you do have any doubts that you might have some mental disorders it is best to go to a professional - psychologist, or psychiatrist if needed.

Labelling your self with mental disorders can be harming, especially if not discussed with a professional beforehand. I personally have quite a few issues, from depression which I finally keep it on a leash thanks to the right therapy. There are some other things that are pretty complex to pinpoint like adult ADD and Asperger's. And many people will not accept it lightly, so I like to keep these things to myself. As a female, I can mask my feelings and behaviour like a champ, so mostly could label me simply as "odd" and "clumsy". If I want people to treat me just like everyone else, which I sort of want to, I don't even mention these things, I cannot explain the awkwardness that usually follows.

As for sensory issues, it is quite mild but there. I have sensitive hearing, but the only issue ever I had is that I cannot lead a conversation in a loud place or when someone else is talking to anyone else. Many people do this "cross conversation" without issues, I am completely unable to do so. I cannot turn off my mind of not listening to others, I am VERY easily distracted. Perhaps loud sounds like in the city simply tires me a lot. I only have strong issue with food, some textures of certain food, especially in meat (but I love meat...) make me physically ill and I cannot stop the ill feeling.

Parents can be harsh in this case, I know mine were and still are. I didn't get adequate help nor therapies until I moved out and sought professional help myself. I guess in my case would be is that parents simply turn their heads away and sometimes really don't want to face some facts, no parents want to know that there is something "wrong with their child", and when the child starts labelling it self that there's something wrong with them, it is really hard for the parents. To this day my parents don't accept anything, and I am well near being 30 years old now. Because you know, "it is all in my head".

I really suggest if you have any issues that are bothering you and keeping you from living a good quality life, to seek professional help. Wearing specially made plugs is an excellent idea, I myself am thinking of getting such (they simply soften or block certain frequencies). I honestly forgot what they were called, but they were specially made for Autistic people/ people with SPD, it could help me on my bad days when I am unable to stand my birds shouting or a trip to a busy store.

I wish you the very best, and I hope your household will be open to help you further to your journey to a better life.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wonderful discussion Oliver Rose, understanding ourselves first step to acceptance as unique, precious individuals.

I constantly battle anxiety and have some OCD, stimming tendencies. Raised in family of psychologists and other mental health professionals, so obtaining therapy on occasion comes naturally.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Before I write anything, I will mention that if you do have any doubts that you might have some mental disorders it is best to go to a professional - psychologist, or psychiatrist if needed.

Labelling your self with mental disorders can be harming, especially if not discussed with a professional beforehand. I personally have quite a few issues, from depression which I finally keep it on a leash thanks to the right therapy. There are some other things that are pretty complex to pinpoint like adult ADD and Asperger's. And many people will not accept it lightly, so I like to keep these things to myself. As a female, I can mask my feelings and behaviour like a champ, so mostly could label me simply as "odd" and "clumsy". If I want people to treat me just like everyone else, which I sort of want to, I don't even mention these things, I cannot explain the awkwardness that usually follows.

As for sensory issues, it is quite mild but there. I have sensitive hearing, but the only issue ever I had is that I cannot lead a conversation in a loud place or when someone else is talking to anyone else. Many people do this "cross conversation" without issues, I am completely unable to do so. I cannot turn off my mind of not listening to others, I am VERY easily distracted. Perhaps loud sounds like in the city simply tires me a lot. I only have strong issue with food, some textures of certain food, especially in meat (but I love meat...) make me physically ill and I cannot stop the ill feeling.

Parents can be harsh in this case, I know mine were and still are. I didn't get adequate help nor therapies until I moved out and sought professional help myself. I guess in my case would be is that parents simply turn their heads away and sometimes really don't want to face some facts, no parents want to know that there is something "wrong with their child", and when the child starts labelling it self that there's something wrong with them, it is really hard for the parents. To this day my parents don't accept anything, and I am well near being 30 years old now. Because you know, "it is all in my head".

I really suggest if you have any issues that are bothering you and keeping you from living a good quality life, to seek professional help. Wearing specially made plugs is an excellent idea, I myself am thinking of getting such (they simply soften or block certain frequencies). I honestly forgot what they were called, but they were specially made for Autistic people/ people with SPD, it could help me on my bad days when I am unable to stand my birds shouting or a trip to a busy store.

I wish you the very best, and I hope your household will be open to help you further to your journey to a better life.

I have been diagnosed officially-there is no official diagnosis papers or anything for SPD, but my old psychiatrist and doctor diagnosed me with it, and it is on my medical record, as well as my officially diagnosed tic disorder. I did get some ear plugs today, 23db blocking, by using the excuse 'the heater on the bus is too loud'. As for the possibly being autistic, it is a large possibility my doctor said. I never say I have things that I'm not diagnosed with:).

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Wow. I had hope for my parent's acceptance of me, but its just been erased. Amazing.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Wow. I had hope for my parent's acceptance of me, but its just been erased. Amazing.
Sorry to hear your parents do not accept, please know you are fully validated in this forum. I hope in time they will reconsider.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I recently "came out" as Gay to family, friends, acquaintances, and fellow moderators. Why not here as continuing normalization process? Homosexuality not a mental health diagnosis in the modern era per se, but oh wow, ripple effects have proven cosmic!! Ridding myself from decades of fear, self loathing, obfuscation, have boosted self esteem and overall happiness. Random chance encounter with a SM influencer yanked this committed 63 yo closet dweller to freedom in mere weeks!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I recently "came out" as Gay to family, friends, acquaintances, and fellow moderators. Why not here as continuing normalization process? Homosexuality not a mental health diagnosis in the modern era per se, but oh wow, ripple effects have proven cosmic!! Ridding myself from decades of fear, self loathing, obfuscation, have boosted self esteem and overall happiness. Random chance encounter with a SM influencer yanked this committed 63 yo closet dweller to freedom in mere weeks!

I'm gay too! And genderfluid! Aaand YOU get a virtual fist bump for being a fellow homosexual!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Also just saying, y'all are amazing, keep being you! I have learned that from 'coming out' and not being accepted, having mental....illness is not the right word in this situation.....differences, and being an overall 'social outcast'. Let me tell you something though....if you keep being shamelessly you, eventually, people will stop being mean, asking odd questions and doubting you. They will see that it's not knocking you down, and some days you may want to give up. I do too, but you need to look for the bright things in your life. This doesn't mean comparing yourself to people worse off than you-this usually just makes you feel worse, like you don't deserve it. For most on here, the light of their life is their birds. They are what wake us up each morning and give us motivation to go through our day. Even with budgies, I will play with them, sing to them, train them, any dance with them. We have a blast! It cheers me up for a couple hours. It's something I can look forward to. I hope you can do the same.

Might I add, this thread is a completely judge free place for people to post mental health-related things.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

There is light in truth
May we all feel lighter for speaking it.

Scott, big love to you, wishing you joy

Stormypica you've started a powerful thread. I hope the strength of your acceptance of self shows your family the way
Thanks so much Laura, feeling of joy reinforced by such loving acknowledgements!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I'm gay too! And genderfluid! Aaand YOU get a virtual fist bump for being a fellow homosexual!
Also just saying, y'all are amazing, keep being you! I have learned that from 'coming out' and not being accepted, having mental....illness is not the right word in this situation.....differences, and being an overall 'social outcast'. Let me tell you something though....if you keep being shamelessly you, eventually, people will stop being mean, asking odd questions and doubting you. They will see that it's not knocking you down, and some days you may want to give up. I do too, but you need to look for the bright things in your life. This doesn't mean comparing yourself to people worse off than you-this usually just makes you feel worse, like you don't deserve it. For most on here, the light of their life is their birds. They are what wake us up each morning and give us motivation to go through our day. Even with budgies, I will play with them, sing to them, train them, any dance with them. We have a blast! It cheers me up for a couple hours. It's something I can look forward to. I hope you can do the same.

Might I add, this thread is a completely judge free place for people to post mental health-related things.
Right back at ya, thank you for creating this safe space, judgement free thread!!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
This post is kind of old but...congrats Scott :D
I'm already convinced I'll be closeted forever πŸ₯²

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I continue to be uplifted and inspired by the good will, bravery and Community of our membership. I have shared medical issues here, and have always felt valued. There is just something about living with parrots that enhances our humanity!
Thank you, everybody.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
This post is kind of old but...congrats Scott :D
I'm already convinced I'll be closeted forever πŸ₯²
I like how almost everyone I know on here is a closeted gay!
Welp, Foxx, you're not closeted (here) anymore! Congrats!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Why is this so relateable...
Because the idea of coming out is terrifying
Especially when you're something nobody knows the meaning of πŸ₯²
This emoji just about sums everything up πŸ₯²

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I like how almost everyone I know on here is a closeted gay!
Welp, Foxx, you're not closeted (here) anymore! Congrats!
Oh, and I'm not a gay...
I'm a pancake ;)

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots