Meyers Pased Away

parrotdaddy

Mar 17, 2013
I'm so sorry. This place taught me that we are not alone in such tough times. I know what you're feeling, but please don't blame yourself. Only the best of hearts can bond to our beloved birds so strongly. My thoughts are with you.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Chad, I'm so sorry! It is devastating to lose a companion so suddenly and unexpectedly - I really feel for you and what you're going through. Try to remember your birdie was lucky to have lived with you, even for such a short time. The time you had together was good and you gave her the best of everything, including love and safety. When her Time came, you were there for her and did your very best for her yet again. While her little life might be over, her place in your heart is still a treasure. Sending hugs to you today! XX

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Chad, I am so sorry for your loss. To lose a beloved companion so suddenly when so young is devastating. My heart goes out to you because I can understand how you are feeling.

Diego passed from a stroke. From when he collapsed to death was only 45 minutes! He was fine while we were watching TV together, he flew back to his cage for a potty break and a snack and then he collapsed in his cage with one talon hanging on to his boing.

I was lucky my sister was over visiting because I had her rush us to the clinic. I didn't even put Diego in a carrier but held him to my chest as my sister drove like mad to get to the clinic. During the drive in Diego started having trouble breathing so I gave him beak to mouth resuscitation. I was so desperate to help him I breathed for him. By my doing that gave him more time so I was able to get him to the clinic. Both Avian vets performed heroic measure to save my Diego but they lost him. I was in such shock I cried so hard I had a bad asthma attack. I know the whole clinic heard me yell NOOOOOOOO!

Typing Diego's story brings it back so vividly and even though its only been three years it is like it happened yesterday. I blamed myself for a long time and performed intense research on heart disease in parrots. It is easy for me to ask you not to blame yourself but I know from experience that my words will not be heard. What I can tell you is you gave your parrot love and your parrot KNEW they were loved. You were there for your sennie when in trouble so she was not alone. She passed knowing she was loved.

I also lost my Noble macaw Mihijo to a heart attack. I did have a necropsy done (here they do NOT cost $600 and I honestly think that cost is crazy) and the heart attack was confermed as reason for death. Unfortunately Mihijo had his heart attack in the middle of the night and he did die alone in his cage in the dark.

I wish I could give you a hug for real. A cyber hug does not seem enough but please know I understand and I care about what had happened. Please try to be gentle with yourself during this difficult time.

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I just keep thinking about what exactly happened (i guess i will never know). But I had given her fresh food and goldenfeast mix and she was goign to town on her goldenfeast mix. And an hour later I went in there and saw she was barely holding onto the perch. Happened so fast!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I just keep thinking about what exactly happened (i guess i will never know). But I had given her fresh food and goldenfeast mix and she was goign to town on her goldenfeast mix. And an hour later I went in there and saw she was barely holding onto the perch. Happened so fast!

It's too bad but sometimes we just don't know. About 15 years ago I had a young Hooded Parakeet (Aussie grass keet). I wanted one of those for so long, finally found a breeder... Then one day he was on the bottom of the cage all of a sudden near death. By the time we got to the vets that day it was already too late. I think the car ride pushed him over the edge. I never found out why. He never made it fully into the gorgeous adult male color that first caught my eye about the species. I do understand exactly how it feels to lose a bird so unexpexpctedly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts