Might Be Adopting an Older Amazon

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not so fast, within the first six strokes an Amazon can go from standing still to full speed! That is a distance of less than three feet, (1 meter).

Time to begin the process of teaching your Amazon 'Safe Flight Pathways,' 'Safe Landing Zones,' which also include, Safe Return Flight Pathways. This includes what is dangerous and what is a safe pathway. I call this the Real Estate Agents tour of your home with your Parrot sitting comfortable on your finger. Walk from the cage out along a safe path and to a safe landing zone and than lifting back off and returning the the cage. Repeat often!!! This is completed with every safe path you can safely walk! Your Parrot will quickly associate those pathways and begin using them. As you are working of safe path ways, begin working on dangerous pathways by adding a dead-end into a wall, window door, etc... As you approach that hard surface begin stating No, No, No and than crash into the hard surface assuring that your Parrot's Bill softly touches the surface. Tap on the surface to show its HARD... NOTE: Practice safe and dangerous pathways. At some point your Parrot will begin looking at you like you are crazy, maybe even call out to you to stop! See that Part of the "I Love Amazons -..." Thread that talks about teaching an older Amazon to fledge...

NOTE: If a Parrot takes-off out of sheer fear its a ZERO attention to where they are going and all fleeing! For those who have not been taught safe pathways, it can take 15 feet (3 meters) before they become aware that they need to be make a choice as to where they are going. This single fact is the leading cause to an escaping Parrot flying away from home, add zero contact calls or come to me response training and the most one sees is the Parrot disappear into the distance.

Last edited:
OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Hahhhhhhhh... Okay, so, you know how she has a deformed toe on her right foot? Well, she also has this weird thing going on with her left foot, behind her tarsus that I THOUGHT was a sore from her putting too much weight on her left foot or something. Well, I was looking at it more thoroughly this evening, and it turns out the band is stuck on her ankle. It can spin around (I think?), but it's stuck right on the joint, right between the head of the tarsus and the head of the tibia. So, the part below the ankle (maybe the bottom of the ankle) is swollen. Or maybe it's a bunch of scar tissue.

Leaving the band on a bit longer isn't going to cause any further damage, so I'll bring her to the vet in a couple weeks for an exam, mild wing trim, and to have her band removed. Oh, on another note, the band says she was hatched in 1994 (or I think it says that).

Oh, I started target training last night. She's doing really well.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Save the band, of course. I had Salty's removed years ago and its in my precious jewelry box.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider having her microchipped as part of that New Parrot health examination, which commonly includes gram stain, full spectrum blood test and a hands on physical examination.

Yes, as my good friend Wrench has pointed out, 'Save the Band'!

Consider having her DNA Sex Tested to assure that she is a she. This one test will help greatly when (not if) you are on your way to your Avian Medical Professional with a very sick Amazon as it define where your Avian Professional starts.

Build a solid medical file for your Amazon by setting up a Avian Vet visit every 15 months. Why 15 months -- over the next five years you will have added to her medical file a clear view of her blood chems as part of each quarter of a year. Commonly, seeing minor fluctuations over the seasons of a year. This is especially true for a female.

Last edited:
OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I was actually planning on having her microchipped when she goes for her physical and "grooming" in a couple weeks. I'd love to have full blood work done, but I honestly don't think I'll be able to do so until coronavirus has gone down. It's hard enough getting into my local vet right now, so I can't imagine how hard it'd be to get into such a specialized clinic. I am going to try to have a blood test done every 15 months for five years to establish a baseline. I was also thinking of having her DNA sexed to confirm she's a female. I'm definitely gonna keep her band ;)

Her target training is going really well! She clearly understands it, and I'm actually starting to target her around the cage now, and I'm starting to use random reinforcement now (rather than giving her a treat each time).

We had a bit of a mishap earlier today that resulted in her having a bit of a tummy ache and me crying a lot, but she's fine now. She consumed a tiny bit of a plant she shouldn't have, and I thought I'd managed to poison her after having her for only a few days, but she's absolutely fine now. I monitored her extremely closely and encouraged her to drink, eat, and ingest bentonite clay, and she got progressively better rather than worse, and was back to her old self after a couple of hours. I'm not going to get into more details, but she's absolutely fine now, and her poop's fine.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A New Parrot Examination commonly includes a full spectrum blood testing. The current monster virus has not halted that work. In todays World, it is you who has to stay outside and wait for your new baby to be returned to you.

And, when she is back in your car, you can tell her how much you missed her and that you are sorry if 'they' hurt you, etc, etc, etc... There is no shame in making the Vet and staff the bad folks and you are saving her from them! :D

NOTE: Obtain a quote first to assure that you are aware of costs prior to walking into the appointment blind...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I took my two fid's in for a physical and grooming just a week or so ago. Amy needed a complete physical,blood work and grooming. I wasn't able to be with them to comfort and reassure them because of the virus :( I had to wait in the car. I've been bringing my fid's to this one particular CAV ( Kensington BIRD and Animal Hospital) for over thirty years now and I'm very confident in their handling of the fid's..still sucked I couldn't be with them though.Amy needed sedation because of his heart condition (he gets worked up being man handled). The Tech brought them both out to me in about twenty minutes and Amy was already hanging upside down in his carrier yelling at me for not being with him.
If you feel safe with your vet i.e. been there before,and know how they handle birds I don't think you'd have a problem. JMHO here.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hahhhhhhhh... Okay, so, you know how she has a deformed toe on her right foot? Well, she also has this weird thing going on with her left foot, behind her tarsus that I THOUGHT was a sore from her putting too much weight on her left foot or something. Well, I was looking at it more thoroughly this evening, and it turns out the band is stuck on her ankle. It can spin around (I think?), but it's stuck right on the joint, right between the head of the tarsus and the head of the tibia. So, the part below the ankle (maybe the bottom of the ankle) is swollen. Or maybe it's a bunch of scar tissue.

Leaving the band on a bit longer isn't going to cause any further damage, so I'll bring her to the vet in a couple weeks for an exam, mild wing trim, and to have her band removed. Oh, on another note, the band says she was hatched in 1994 (or I think it says that).

Oh, I started target training last night. She's doing really well.

Can you share some images of the toe/ankle/band? We love pics and may be able to offer helpful advice pending visit to vet.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
A New Parrot Examination commonly includes a full spectrum blood testing. The current monster virus has not halted that work. In todays World, it is you who has to stay outside and wait for your new baby to be returned to you.

And, when she is back in your car, you can tell her how much you missed her and that you are sorry if 'they' hurt you, etc, etc, etc... There is no shame in making the Vet and staff the bad folks and you are saving her from them! :D

NOTE: Obtain a quote first to assure that you are aware of costs prior to walking into the appointment blind...

Archie’s first workup didn’t include taking blood, which is why is why I didn’t do the sexing. I asked the vet what he recommend to do, and everything was based on saliva, I guess. Still cost me over $400.

Is that because he was so young?

I plan to bring him back in February, which is a year later, to do the sexing. He’ll still be under 2 years, so what kind of other testing am I looking at?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I bring Salty in once a year for full blood and feces work ups. If I remember its around 475 for that, aside from the visits for normal stuff and the occasional bangs and bruises. He is still a clumsy young'un, but he's been getting better at that.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
At this last visit with Amy's work-up and BB's wellness check,slight clipping and nails done was $320. A previous complete work-up along with dna testing was $475 also.

Jim

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Okay, so I just emailed the expensive vet to ask for a quote and breakdown of said costs. Oh, what image sharing website is everyone using now, given that Photobucket is all but unusable now? I wanna post some photos of her feet for you guys.

On another note, Jasper's being such a pain in the butt! She won't eat her leafy greens, but she'll eat almost everything else I offer her. Leafy greens are literally some of the healthiest veggies on the planet, and they come in so many different species and varieties, so I want to get her to start eating them.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Okay, so I just emailed the expensive vet to ask for a quote and breakdown of said costs. Oh, what image sharing website is everyone using now, given that Photobucket is all but unusable now? I wanna post some photos of her feet for you guys.

On another note, Jasper's being such a pain in the butt! She won't eat her leafy greens, but she'll eat almost everything else I offer her. Leafy greens are literally some of the healthiest veggies on the planet, and they come in so many different species and varieties, so I want to get her to start eating them.

Best method is using free host site such as Imgur. http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures-6.html#post718293

Every member has limited space in PF server for posting images. Use the "paper clip" icon next to smiley drop-down menu for access. You can upload images below a specific file size from most any device.

Have you tried eating leafy greens in front of Jasper? Take bites, bob your head, make "mmmm" sounds. Might stimulate the flock-eating instinct!

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Thanks, Scott :)

I feel absolutely sick. Just got back from the vet with two of my budgies. My gosh, somebody just kill me, please! The plague's back! The AGY came back! My God, please, I don't want to medicate nine angry little birds! And I'll have to disinfect EVERYTHING. GOD. NO. PLEASE. It's in low levels, but God, no! I'm going to be bringing in samples from Jasper every week to make sure she didn't somehow catch it as well. I'm going to have to buy so much F10 and clean the entire house. I'm gonna have to soak absolutely all their toys, perches, walls, floor—everything they've ever touched >_<

I'm going to have to thoroughly bathe each time after going in the aviary.

rweoms

Oct 25, 2020
Northern Virginia
Parrots
Two Breeding pairs Amazons
Two Amazons I kept as pets
One Redhead Amazon
To make a long story short, an elderly couple wants to know if I'll take their 29 year old parrot. I met her tonight, and it turns out she's a 29 year old yellow shouldered Amazon, and her name's Jasper.

I've never considered an Amazon before, but she seems sweet and is definitely in need. They definitely seem to care about her, but she's been very neglected. Her feathers look quite dull, her beak's a bit overgrown and is dull and yucky looking, her feet have pressure sores, her posture is quite poor, she only has three toys (they're all really old and don't look very fun), she only has two perches (she has a big dowel perch which is causing bumble foot; and a single cement perch), she seems to be kept in a room away from her humans, and they never take her out of her cage. It's clear she doesn't receive adequate mental stimulation or exercise.

She was very quiet for the first twenty minutes or so, but she started coming out of her shell when I started complimenting her and doing baby talk. She started climbing upside down in her cage and was hanging upside down to show off for me, and she started making cute Amazon sounds at me while I was flirting with her. She also did a little dance for me, and she'd come right over to the side of the cage to mumble at me. She became really excited when I started calling her by her name. I didn't take her out or anything since we were meeting for the first time, but she seemed to like me, and she wasn't territorial.

I don't have any personal experience handling a bird her size (well, I snuggled with an orphaned gull while taking him to a wildlife rehabilitation centre), but I gained a lot of experience handling and training aggressive birds when I adopted little Noah. He was such unbelievably violent the first few months I had him. He's a sweetheart now.

Apparently Jasper isn't loud, and she likes whistling hymns. She used to talk, but she hasn't talked for a long time now, which is sad. I don't think adopting her will change my life very much. I'll still have plenty of time to play with the birds in the aviary. When I'm not sleeping, eating, or in the aviary, I can just take her out of the cage and have her sit on me or put her on a play stand (I'll have to buy a couple). She doesn't have a history of aggression, so she should be fairly easy to handle after getting her used to being handled again. The trick will be to get Dad's chihuahua not to try to nibble on her (the dog's a freaking idiot). I'll need to train her to eat chop, sprouts, mash, and birdie bread, but she's already on pellets, which is great. I'll have to spend a lot of money getting her toys, perches, and appropriately sized pellets (I just have tiny pellets). I'd probably harness train her as well after she's all settled in. I'll probably buy a new Caitec carrier for her as well for when I need to take her to the vet, or when I want to take her on a walk or something.

So, what do you guys think? I'm seriously considering adopting her, but it's quite a big decision. My parents are a bit hesitant, but they definitely seem to pity her and aren't saying no. I'll probably visit her at least a couple more times before adopting her, and I'll see if she'll come out of the cage for me.

It's kind of funny now that I think about it, because Jasper's a few years older than me.
I have owned and bred parrots since 1980. I still own the first amazon I bought. Yes I have had the bird for 40 years. A redhead amazon. I have adopted many birds over that time and love them. Remember with older Amazons what you see is what you get. If it is sweet its sweet. If it aggressive time may change its behavior with loving help but it takes time as they are smart. Remember if you take good care of them they live a long time. My oldest is over 50. A double yellow male that still breeds. They are great pets.

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jasper's an absolute angel. She's very quiet, but she's not afraid to vocalize when she's happy, nervous, or agitated. She has yet to threaten any of us, and she took food from my cousin without hesitating. I will say she did NOT like my uncle, and kept making her agitated vocalizations the whole time he was in the room. It was weird, since she's fine with me, my parents, my two cousins, and our three dogs. She's also very brave when I show her novel objects, and will often reach out to feel them with her beak and tongue.

Her harness came in on Friday and I hung it near her cage and showed it to her everyday, and I officially started training her with it today. I fed her milkthistle seeds while I held the harness near her face, then I reached my harness hand above her while continuing to feed her, then I had her stick her head through the wing hole in order to reach the seeds, and she was totally calm the whole time. I also started potty training today.

I noticed a couple of days ago that her nostrils sometimes make a whistling sound when she's breathing (the openings themselves, not the lungs or anything like that), so I'll have that examined when she has her basic physical with Dr. Morris. I wonder if the air in my house is drier than she's used to.

My dad and I trimmed up the apple branches for her stands and pressure washed them.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So yellow shoulder amazons come from a very arid stretch of Venezuela coast , with cactus' and such. THe island they are also on is pretty arid too. Salty drinks a bit each day but not a lot. They get most of their water from the food they eat. Sounds like your making great progress with Jasper. A very calm young lady. Getting them used to putting their head thru the head loop is often the biggest hurdle. We practice putting it on and just draping it over his body almost every night. Salty is the same way, most things new don't upset him.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA

Archie doesn’t go nuts over leafy greens either, but I don’t think they’re so critical, since he eats a wide range of vegetables anyway. Like, he loves beets...but hardly touches the greens. Same thing with radishes, and others.

From time to time, I get him a bagged kale salad mix, with different lettuces, spinach, and other crap in it. Every time, he’ll spend 5 minutes going at it...and then it goes in the garbage because he doesn’t go at it again and it goes bad.

Yes, I know I should be eating this myself, but we’re not here to discuss MY health. Only our birds.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
So yellow shoulder amazons come from a very arid stretch of Venezuela coast , with cactus' and such. THe island they are also on is pretty arid too. Salty drinks a bit each day but not a lot. They get most of their water from the food they eat. Sounds like your making great progress with Jasper. A very calm young lady. Getting them used to putting their head thru the head loop is often the biggest hurdle. We practice putting it on and just draping it over his body almost every night. Salty is the same way, most things new don't upset him.

I had a condo on the northern coast of Venezuela. In Macuto/La Guaira. Also been to Margarita Island several times. My wife is Venezuelan, met her there, and been to the country dozens of times. Did freelance work for a rum company there.

Had no idea this is where Yellow Shoulders come from.

I’m surprised by your description of arid, but what the hell do I know? More important:

You gotta go online and see what’s happening with wild macaws in Caracas! Thousands of them are landing on people’s balconies where they’ve become half pet, half wild!

I have a lot of family still stuck there, trying to get out of the country.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Ira, look for the Island of Bonair off the northeastern by eastern coast, that's where the yellow shoulders are from.

Most Reactions