My 20yo African Grey

Alacranred22

Apr 13, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
Hello all,

Advice please. My African Grey has issues. As soon as I get close to him he starts to garg and once he gets on my hand he starts to get a freak on. How can I stop him/her from doing that? It only does it to me.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Greys are so SPECIAL! I'll leave it to the experts to address your concerns but I want to welcome you. Good for you for reaching out!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Hello all,

Advice please. My African Grey has issues. As soon as I get close to him he starts to garg and once he gets on my hand he starts to get a freak on. How can I stop him/her from doing that? It only does it to me.
It sounds like your bird loves you.
If he looks like he is throwing up, thatā€™s how they show affection. He is trying to feed you.

generally speaking this behavior should not be encourage but itā€™s hard to stop.

OP
A

Alacranred22

Apr 13, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
It sounds like your bird loves you.
If he looks like he is throwing up, thatā€™s how they show affection. He is trying to feed you.

generally speaking this behavior should not be encourage but itā€™s hard to stop.
Thank you. Yes he does that but as soon as he climbs my hands he lowers his wings and starts trying to get freaky with my hand and making a sort of whistling noise.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thank you. Yes he does that but as soon as he climbs my hands he lowers his wings and starts trying to get freaky with my hand and making a sort of whistling noise.
He is trying to mate with your hand.
thatā€™s what I mean when I say he loves you.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My yellow nape Bingo does the hand thing With me.
itā€™s not dirty or disgusting
well ā€¦. It CAN be a little dirty but never mind.

If Bingo starts doing his wiggle on my hand and for whatever reason it has to stop I just pick him up and put him back in his cage.
He doesnā€™t get aggressive or anything.

I will say if Bingo was a female I would not indulge her in mating behavior so as not to promote egg laying.

Most Reactions