My baby is bleeding from his nail

Guccibirdy22

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Red mask conure
PLEASE HELP!
I was trimming my baby’s nails and I cut one too short. It barely bleed just enough to make a blood stain on my finger, no more blood that I have seen come out. When I look at his mail tip with a flashlight it does look red. I have no corn starch or flour but I did have baking soda. I pinched his toe to put pressure on it for a minute (that’s all he would allow) and put the baking soda on it. I am absolutely freaking out I feel so horrible I am so in love with my baby. After googling for the last 20 min I am terrified! I didn’t think about an infection. So my question is, since it wasn’t a real bad cut and it barely bleed any is an infection still possible? I need advice it’s 9:30 so no vet is open right now. But I am so scared to put him to sleep and something happens to him over night. I hope I get answered soon.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Calm down! If the bleeding stopped and was no more then a dot, he is not in any immediate danger. If it continued to bleed, yes that would be bad, but it's not so he is OK. I would maybe make a abian vet appt for Mon just to have him checked out and perhaps be on a antibiotic of the vet feels it needed. you can keep the toe clean swabbing areas with hydrogen peroxide daily, keep his perch and climbing areas clean. Watch his food and water intake, sick birds often do not eat or drink, and if you have been keeping a record of his weight, watch for weight loss of 5% or more. But most likely your OK.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
PLEASE HELP!
I was trimming my baby’s nails and I cut one too short. It barely bleed just enough to make a blood stain on my finger, no more blood that I have seen come out. When I look at his mail tip with a flashlight it does look red. I have no corn starch or flour but I did have baking soda. I pinched his toe to put pressure on it for a minute (that’s all he would allow) and put the baking soda on it. I am absolutely freaking out I feel so horrible I am so in love with my baby. After googling for the last 20 min I am terrified! I didn’t think about an infection. So my question is, since it wasn’t a real bad cut and it barely bleed any is an infection still possible? I need advice it’s 9:30 so no vet is open right now. But I am so scared to put him to sleep and something happens to him over night. I hope I get answered soon.
Awww. Poor baby! I mean you, not your birdie! You obviously feel really bad that you hurt your buddy but he will fine. Infection is always possible when there's an open wound but not likely with a minor toenail injury like this. They usually heal pretty quickly in a matter of a few days. Look closely at his toe. Is it getting swollen? Is he not standing or bearing weight on this foot? If YES to either question you should see a vet. I don't advise putting any antibiotic ointment on it because birds clean their feet with their beak and tongue and you don't really want him ingesting the stuff because its not meant for internal use.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Calm down! If the bleeding stopped and was no more then a dot, he is not in any immediate danger. If it continued to bleed, yes that would be bad, but it's not so he is OK. I would maybe make a abian vet appt for Mon just to have him checked out and perhaps be on a antibiotic of the vet feels it needed. you can keep the toe clean swabbing areas with hydrogen peroxide daily, keep his perch and climbing areas clean. Watch his food and water intake, sick birds often do not eat or drink, and if you have been keeping a record of his weight, watch for weight loss of 5% or more. But most likely your OK.
Please don't use hydrogen peroxide on open healing wounds. It causes cellular destruction especially to wounds that are healing.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
PLEASE HELP!
Baking soda isn't good for wounds and it HURTS. It will make the wound more red and inflamed. Peroxide is very bad for wounds. It kills healthy healing tissue. If it's not bleeding then leave it. He will most likely be fine.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Get a small ammount of styptic powder. You get som at a TSC or amazon for a few bucks. It clots blood immediatly. I use it on myself.

I realise I'm three days late to the emergency but it's fine. My vets first trim on all my birds intentionally did this so I could get blood for a florida DNA test. Mean i know, but.....its better to know the DNA and gender.

What the AVN did then, used styptic powder to stop the blood immediatly after.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Get a small ammount of styptic powder. You get som at a TSC or amazon for a few bucks. It clots blood immediatly. I use it on myself.

I realise I'm three days late to the emergency but it's fine. My vets first trim on all my birds intentionally did this so I could get blood for a florida DNA test. Mean i know, but.....its better to know the DNA and gender.

What the AVN did then, used styptic powder to stop the blood immediatly after.
I got a small container of stypic powder from my avian vet. Things like flour, baking soda, etc are not good substitutes. Bleeding a drop or two of blood from a toe isn't dangerous but be careful- it's painful to cut a bird's nails too short.

Most Reactions

Latest posts