Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Thanks! Ok, LaManuka is Zenek's auntie and MrLaurieKeats is of those three Bourkies uncle:D

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
MrLaurieKeats says “Done! We’ll be there next weekend ... or maybe the one after that ...”

He forgot you’re in Poland!

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Haha![emoji23][emoji1]

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Last few days babies are in the cage with adult Bourkes. They can fly, try to eat solid food but don't eat enough. Are they sill looking for too young to eat solid food? They are 5 weeks old.
The oldest one:
rozalka-albums-bourke-family-picture21599-one-bourkes-2nd-clutch-2019.jpg

and the youngest:
67917880_2913061098767353_6380069387293949952_n.jpg

They are fed 3 times each day. I was thinking about decreasing to 2 times. The hand feeding formula can finish...

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
They are old enough to start the weaning process. Some babies just take a little longer to become completely independent. And like any baby if they can sucker in the "parent" for an easy feed they will. I would guess that by the time the youngest is 6 weeks they should be fully independent.

Do you have a set of scales that you can weigh the babies with every morning? If you can monitor the weight of each bird then drop the feeds down and see how they go. If they lose too much weight you can always increase the feeds again.

If you don't have a way to monitor weight then I would suggest go on how the bird behaves. If they are still keen for the feed and take the usual amount they aren't ready to lose it. If they just take a little and seem distracted then drop the feed. They just want the comfort of it rather than the actual food.

Personally I'm a soft touch with babies and probably let them continue with formula for too long but I'd rather it be them refusing it because they want to be independent rather than they have to become independent or go hungry.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Thank you for your answer! I'm going to wait little time with decreasing. Later maybe I will try this

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Such sweet babies, you must be very proud!

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Yesterday one o babies did a progress - was eating seeds in a feeder:) but they still aren't independent. They are 1,5 months old, normally Bourkes should start being independent..
The oldest one:
file.php

Medium one:
file.php

and the youngest survivor;)
file.php

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Maybe they are enjoying being spoiled too much to become independent...they may even be eating some of your birthday cake today for all we know:D:D:D.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
The feeding formula finished, the biggest problem is with the oldest one. 2 younger are starting eating in feeders but not this one.:( We were trying to give some porridge (?) which had been given before we bought the correct food. But... syringe? No! Spoon? No! Solid food? No! Other babies eat a little and still eat from the syringe but the oldest one... must learn how to eat the solid food..

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I have sad news:(

The hand feeding formula finished, all 3 babies started eating seeds and we decided to stop feed them. Yesterday they weren't eat at all, today we mixed mango, apples and bananas and gave 'em on a spoon. The "medium" one was sleepy and had a problem with climbing. Before feeding we had seen how this babie was sleeping and thought maybe we woke up them. After feeding went sleep again but not on a perch. Few hours I saw this babie... death:(:17:

We don't know what's happened... All other babies still seem to be ok, they eat, today I saw the first time when the oldest one was drinking (we have to check if the younger one drinks too)

This is a photo of this babie when everything was ok yet...:(
file.php

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Once a baby bird feathers up it's really hard to see if they have enough food in their crop. It's possible that without the formula they weren't getting enough to eat. While they may have been eating solid foods were they getting enough of it? Without a set of scales and weighing them every day you don't know.

I've had to go back to formula and force feed because a baby has been starving even while "eating" solid food. Turns out the bird was swallowing the smaller seeds whole rather than cracking them. Passed straight through with no benefit to the bird. Crop felt full. Bird looked like it was doing well on solid food. It was only the weight loss that alerted me that there was a problem. After that I kept weighing for a week after weaning to be safe.

First time hand rearing is hard and losses are going to happen if you don't have everything ready in advance. It's not like you planned on it but more had it thrust upon you by the parents. Don't take the loss personally.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
I have sad news:(

The hand feeding formula finished, all 3 babies started eating seeds and we decided to stop feed them. Yesterday they weren't eat at all, today we mixed mango, apples and bananas and gave 'em on a spoon. The "medium" one was sleepy and had a problem with climbing. Before feeding we had seen how this babie was sleeping and thought maybe we woke up them. After feeding went sleep again but not on a perch. Few hours I saw this babie... death:(:17:

We don't know what's happened... All other babies still seem to be ok, they eat, today I saw the first time when the oldest one was drinking (we have to check if the younger one drinks too)

This is a photo of this babie when everything was ok yet...:(
file.php

How very sad to hear this Rozalka? I'm not at all familiar with raising babies...could a little one dehydrate or starve this quickly? Hope the other two do ok with the transfer to solids.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Thank you for your answers. I don't have the feeding formula any more, I have only a porridge for human babies which they don't really like. The oldest one doesn't want to eat from the syrringe and when I give on the spoon this, doesn't really want to eat this. These two seem to be healthy for now

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your baby birdie Rozalka, that really sucks. Can you get your hands on some egg & biscuit mix for some extra protein?

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Home made egg and biscuit is pretty easy to make. Boil an egg for 10 mins mash and add to 1 cup finely crushed cornflakes. Add a bit of boiling water to soften to what you want. Pre-made is better as it's usually got added vitamins etc but that will work in a pinch.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Yesterday I gave them boiled egg and soeked biscuit but didn't want to eat...

I tried porridge again, younger one eats but I'm worry about the older one:( Last day when we had the feeding formula yet, stoped eating from the syrringe. Now also doesn't really want to eat from the spoon:( Younger one eats more the porridge and more often solid food in the cage
... and the older is too slim:(

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Today I weighted them, the younger one's weight is ok as Bourke but not the older one - is only 33 g:(

Most Reactions

Latest posts