My cockatiel stopped liking me

Gryff

Nov 30, 2021
Parrots
Waddles(cockatiel)
I’ve had my female cockatiel for about two years and we’ve always been very close and bonded, she was always very possessive of me and clingy, but suddenly only wants to hang out in her cage. She doesn’t seem afraid of me, she doesn’t get scared when I’m near her cage and I can still hand feed her treats, but she doesn’t come over to me anymore and gets uncomfortable when I pet her.
we just moved houses about two months ago, and I started school and got a job so I’m not home nearly as much as I was so I’m thinking that might be the reason? I cant think of anything else I could have done to loose her trust. I just feel like i lost my buddy:(

Edit: everything is good now! She is just as clingy as ever again haha. I’m sure we just gained distance because I was outside of my home more often.

Last edited:

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Awww. There could be many reasons that this may be happening. But sometimes there are days where our feathered friends just need their space and alone time. This especially happens during hormonal periods or puberty. Just don’t take it personally. Make sure your cockatiels diet and hours of sleep are on point too. And continue to create positive associations with your parrot through yummy treats. It’s at least good that your cockatiel is not displaying signs of aggression and lets you be around him or her. It’s okay that birds need some space just like humans. And we have to respect that space by listening to them and reading their body language. Trust me. It really helps you in the long run and builds your bond. Hope this helps. :)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Awww. There could be many reasons that this may be happening. But sometimes there are days where our feathered friends just need their space and alone time. This especially happens during hormonal periods or puberty. Just don’t take it personally. Make sure your cockatiels diet and hours of sleep are on point too. And continue to create positive associations with your parrot through yummy treats. It’s at least good that your cockatiel is not displaying signs of aggression and lets you be around him or her. It’s okay that birds need some space just like humans. And we have to respect that space by listening to them and reading their body language. Trust me. It really helps you in the long run and builds your bond. Hope this helps. :)
My cockatiel is very bonded to me,always wanting to beon/around/with me constantly,happiest little guy I know. However,my Amazon,also bonded to me and as sweet as can be,has his moments. He can be playing/talking/sqwawking/doing Amazon stuff and if I approach he'll give me the stink eye so I let him be for a time. Your guy/gal will come out of his funk...could be because you're not around as much as you were and he is a bit upset. Try and give him extra lovies whenever possible.

Jim

Most Reactions