My cockatiels have an allergic reaction to pellets and vomit furiously

Lovelipop

Nov 1, 2020
India
Parrots
Piyo(8 month old normal grey cockatiel :> )
Rookie(9? month old pearl white face cockatiel)
Hello, I'm a relatively new bird owner, I have two cockatiels around 8-9 months old(Piyo and Rookie). They were on a seed and millet only diets and when I brought them I was struggling to feed them vegetables and slowly ween them off the seed. So I bought them Zupreem fruit pellets as a transition pellet(I heard parrots take them easily). Since my birds started eating the fruit pellets, I bought Roudybush pellets as the main food and I gave it to Piyo for one night. She fell sick the very next day and vomited furiously for hours. I didn't realize it right away and gave Rookie the pellets as well and he started vomiting too. Once I understood that they were allergic to the pellets, I switched back to millet right away.
Now it has been over a month since then and I bought TOPs pellets since it had good reputation. I gave it to Rookie last night(I left very few pieces of the pellet in his dish) and morning I could see he had vomited and it was everywhere on the wall. What do I do now? I can't keep them on millet diet forever and I know that. They are not allergic to Zupreem fruit pellets then why these organic pellets? Should I try to give TOPs to them slowly or give up?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I have not tried Roundybush but I can tell you that I personally am allergic to TOPS pellets. I got them since they are supposed to be really health for birds but I could not leave them in the cages as I started having allergies when I got near. Perhaps there is some ingredient they have in common?

(Personally I give my birdies Harrisons and sometimes Lefebers pellets. So far, knock-wood, my birdies have not shown any ill effect from either of these, AND they have not caused me any allergy. )

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
roudybush pellets can spoil and go rancid easily, I've had this happen twice, so I will never use them. I think TOPS are a quality pellet, I really like them. But they loose their freshness fast ( don't turn bad though) .

Since your has been allergic to two pellets, it could be the soy,, or something else.

I find a diet of a seed mix, lots of leafy lettuces and vegetables, rare fruits , some cooked lentils, quinoa, cooked oatmeal, cooked legumes, occasionally dine boiled egg, maybe some sprouts, to be a great diet. You font have to have pellets to have a great diet

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had good luck with zupreem nut blend.
The bag shows an African grey but my Cockatiels all eat them.
I was buying them for my large birds but I did not want to give my Tiels the zupreem colored pellets.
I mix the nut blend with Browns tropical pellet mix. similar to zupreem colored pellets.

Most Reactions