My conure flew away I’m devastated

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
You already sound stronger in your latest posts. Perhaps you don't see it in yourself yet but be aware that in these situations there is bound to be a feeling of guilt that we allowed this to happen. It is inevitable that we feel this way but remember it was an accident. You didn't make this happen, circumstances arranged themselves and this was the outcome. Focus on the positive things that you are doing to find him and restore his position. It is heartbreaking and we all understand how you are feeling. In your quest to find him try to remember that you are as important. You won't be any good to him if you make yourself ill. Try to rest and relax when you can even though you feel in constant turmoil for your own health's sake. We are rooting for you and your little feathered friend.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Was you conure very tame?

A lot of birds recovered just happen to land on some other human and ask for help....

I'd go with the posting fliers idea. Anytime I see a bird recovery video. The bird ends up just landing on some other human and kind of asks for help.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
You already sound stronger in your latest posts. Perhaps you don't see it in yourself yet but be aware that in these situations there is bound to be a feeling of guilt that we allowed this to happen. It is inevitable that we feel this way but remember it was an accident. You didn't make this happen, circumstances arranged themselves and this was the outcome. Focus on the positive things that you are doing to find him and restore his position. It is heartbreaking and we all understand how you are feeling. In your quest to find him try to remember that you are as important. You won't be any good to him if you make yourself ill. Try to rest and relax when you can even though you feel in constant turmoil for your own health's sake. We are rooting for you and your little feathered friend.
It’s been so hard. I’m just taking it day by day. I blame myself because when I let my dog out chooch was riding on the side of him and I didn’t even see him escape outside, then I saw the dog shake and he must have got spooked and flew off never to be seen again. It’s been the hardest 4 days of my life. I never thought this would happen to me and I keep blaming myself. Thank you for your kind words I really need it right now. I’m devastated

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
This is s bird owners worst nightmare. I don't know how I could completely get over my bird getting lost. I feel your pain and hope you and your bird are reunited soon. Don't torture yourself.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
This is s bird owners worst nightmare. I don't know how I could completely get over my bird getting lost. I feel your pain and hope you and your bird are reunited soon. Don't torture yourself.
If it makes you feel better, many escaped birds do get found by other people and are cared for.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
Thank you for the kind words it has been a very difficult time and I keep trying to not blame myself. It’s so hard. Absolutely bird owners worse nightmare can’t seem to stop crying

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you for the kind words it has been a very difficult time and I keep trying to not blame myself. It’s so hard. Absolutely bird owners worse nightmare can’t seem to stop crying
I would do the same. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Just try to imagine your baby being rescued and taken care of.

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
My family doesn’t understand the pain I’m going through. I had a green cheek conure for 3 years. Him and I bonded he was like my third child. He was always with me because I work from home. He got out 3 days ago and I haven’t been able to eat or sleep. I have called vets shelters posted him on every single missing pet app, walked miles calling him, put his cage out w food and water, passed out flyers went door to door asking for him and nothing. My heart is broken and nothing can fill this void. I feel hopeless and can’t imagine never seeing him again. If anyone can relate please share how you got through this traumatic time. I will not stop searching but each passing day without him brings less and less hope. My baby is gone
I completely understand, please keep us posted... 🙏 🥲

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
My family doesn’t understand the pain I’m going through. I had a green cheek conure for 3 years. Him and I bonded he was like my third child. He was always with me because I work from home. He got out 3 days ago and I haven’t been able to eat or sleep. I have called vets shelters posted him on every single missing pet app, walked miles calling him, put his cage out w food and water, passed out flyers went door to door asking for him and nothing. My heart is broken and nothing can fill this void. I feel hopeless and can’t imagine never seeing him again. If anyone can relate please share how you got through this traumatic time. I will not stop searching but each passing day without him brings less and less hope. My baby is gone
I just recently experienced the same thing, when my parrot Percy was out side and I tripped over a black scary pipe and he just took of screaming:( my heart just dropped as I watched my scared boy flying off! I watched until he was out of sight than grabbed the car keys and took of calling his name, running down paths, and searching trees, I didn’t eat or sleep either, running around like a crazy person telling anyone I saw about him, posted everywhere (including the ring door bell app that I was told lots of people see) I had to go to work the next afternoon but had spent all morning searching, then when I got back from work the first thing I hear is his scream (never been happier to hear that noise before) it took a while to get him out a tree but he’s now happy and safe! I’ve avoided sharing this because it was 100% my fault he flew off:( but I wanted to share this because you need to know there’s always hope! I also got in contact with someone else who lost their parrot and the day after I found Percy someone had found theirs. I learned a couple things 1. Most parrots will seek help when they reach a point of hunger, this means they will try find a human 2. If you get the word around someone’s ought to notice a strange bird …. I wish you the best of luck and hope your parrot is safe wherever he may be!!

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
Do NOT ever give up hope! I found a budgie outside (Blue and white very vibrant) and it took me 6 MONTHS to catch her! they can live long. just in case it comes to your house, put out a bird feeder in your front yard and back. to provide a food source, and put a bath for bathing and water

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Do NOT ever give up hope! I found a budgie outside (Blue and white very vibrant) and it took me 6 MONTHS to catch her! they can live long. just in case it comes to your house, put out a bird feeder in your front yard and back. to provide a food source, and put a bath for bathing and water
If you live in a warm climate, lost escaped birds can survive outside as long as they can find food, but in most of the US and Europe the climate is too cold for at least half the year.

FPuentes

Jun 25, 2023
Parrots
Conure
My first Quaker Parrot Luigi, flew away because my parents left him in the care of somebody neglectful. I am so sorry for your loss and I know what you're going through. I hold onto hope that he's still somewhere out there. Don't give up, chances are he will rest somewhere or someone will see him. Treasure the time you spent with him. Best of Luck

chester@bibi

Oct 16, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi. Have you found your green cheek? I'm here because mine flew away 3 days ago. Just like you, I work from home so he was always with me. I did the same thing as you. I also walk early morning and late afternoon around our area hoping that he will see me and come to me. It was his first time going outside and he's just 7 months old this past Friday. I have not properly eaten nor slept this whole time he's missing. This is all overwhelming. I'm still hoping he will miss me and come back home.

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_090136.jpg
    IMG_20231013_090136.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 17

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I remember hearing about an african grey that escaped and they found him 6 miles away and re-captured him FIVE YEARS LATER! Don't give up hope! :D
Where was this? It must have been a warm climate for a grey to survive outdoors for five years. I wonder how the bird adjusted to captivity again. It must have been difficult after free flying for five years. I'm not sure I would want to put him back in a cage again. I would probably build him a huge outdoor aviary.

Jenpmartinez19

Nov 21, 2023
Parrots
I have/had a male, 1 1/2 year old Green cheek conure named Yoshi. He got out of the house and flew away. I looked for him and called for him until it got dark, but no luck😔 I. am beyond sad

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Where was this? It must have been a warm climate for a grey to survive outdoors for five years. I wonder how the bird adjusted to captivity again. It must have been difficult after free flying for five years. I'm not sure I would want to put him back in a cage again. I would probably build him a huge outdoor aviary.
THis happened in the southern US I believe and the bird was originally a wild caught, IIRC. He developed quite the repertoire of bird calls after his escapade! :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
@Jenpmartinez19, if I understand correctly from your profile you have lost your beloved GCC, Yoshi, and if this is the case I'm so sorry for your loss. Have you listed him on Parrot Alert yet? You can also search their site for "Found Birds", just in case someone has found and listed him ...

A number of members of our forum have been reunited with their babies via their service. The following links contain a lot of strategies you may find useful too ...

You can make up old-fashioned paper flyers to pop into mail boxes in your neighbourhood – I once got an Indian ringneck back on the same day he escaped with this method many years ago. Alert local Facebook community groups, pet shops and ALL local veterinary clinics, not just avian ones. Pet birds often land on unsuspecting people and end up getting handed in to vet clinics.

Again, I'm so very sorry this has happened - I have had three get away on me over the years and I know how gut-wrenching it is when they fly away. Luckily I have always managed to get them back, more through sheer dumb luck than anything else I'm sure. Don't give up, because birds are often reunited with their families days or weeks later! I pray that you are able to get Yoshi back 🙏

Most Reactions