My conure flew away I’m devastated

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
My family doesn’t understand the pain I’m going through. I had a green cheek conure for 3 years. Him and I bonded he was like my third child. He was always with me because I work from home. He got out 3 days ago and I haven’t been able to eat or sleep. I have called vets shelters posted him on every single missing pet app, walked miles calling him, put his cage out w food and water, passed out flyers went door to door asking for him and nothing. My heart is broken and nothing can fill this void. I feel hopeless and can’t imagine never seeing him again. If anyone can relate please share how you got through this traumatic time. I will not stop searching but each passing day without him brings less and less hope. My baby is gone

Attachments

• 425E6BB7-9B09-4C50-816C-3651309CEC52.png
    425E6BB7-9B09-4C50-816C-3651309CEC52.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 76

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Wow this must be such a horrible experience for you! I’m so sorry and hope that you find him.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to find him and I would continue to do so!

Please keep us updated!

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
Wow this must be such a horrible experience for you! I’m so sorry and hope that you find him.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to find him and I would continue to do so!

Please keep us updated!
Thank you so much for your kind words. It’s has been the hardest 3 days of my life I have never felt this way before I’m trying everything to find him

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
There have been others who have lost their little ones in similar fashion and there is little any of us can say to comfort you. I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. Keep trying, it is early days yet and there is still a chance. He might have been taken in and it is taking time for people to discover your posters etc.
If the worst happens and you have to let him go then you know that other bird lovers will let their hearts come out to you. In the meantime stay strong, keep looking you will find comfort in knowing that you have done everything possible to rescue him. Take care and keep in touch.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
There have been others who have lost their little ones in similar fashion and there is little any of us can say to comfort you. I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. Keep trying, it is early days yet and there is still a chance. He might have been taken in and it is taking time for people to discover your posters etc.
If the worst happens and you have to let him go then you know that other bird lovers will let their hearts come out to you. In the meantime stay strong, keep looking you will find comfort in knowing that you have done everything possible to rescue him. Take care and keep in touch.
Thank you! I just started balling crying reading this. A lot of people who don’t have birds don’t understand this pain. Thank you so much for your kind words I’m trying to hold onto hope

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dont stop looking! Flyers in supermarkets, drug stores, pet shops, vets, prominently displayed with a large picture on them will attract attention. I'd work in a 3 mile radius from your house, or so. I'd go house to house within a 10 block radius, personally. We hear of folks getting their parrots back after as much as 4-5 weeks or longer, just dont give up.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
Dont stop looking! Flyers in supermarkets, drug stores, pet shops, vets, prominently displayed with a large picture on them will attract attention. I'd work in a 3 mile radius from your house, or so. I'd go house to house within a 10 block radius, personally. We hear of folks getting their parrots back after as much as 4-5 weeks or longer, just dont give up.
Really? That long?? That gives me hope I swear my fiancé thinks I’m crazy for not giving up but I love that little bird. I’m going to try the house to house within 10 blocks. I just miss him so much

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I;ve lost 2 parrots over my time owning them. One I lost in NYC, and I did not retreive him, but that was like almost 40+ yrs ago, way before internet, and any good advice on getting him back . The other was like 10 yrs ago, and I did get him back, he was in a neighbors tree, 4 houses over.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My family doesn’t understand the pain I’m going through. I had a green cheek conure for 3 years. Him and I bonded he was like my third child. He was always with me because I work from home. He got out 3 days ago and I haven’t been able to eat or sleep. I have called vets shelters posted him on every single missing pet app, walked miles calling him, put his cage out w food and water, passed out flyers went door to door asking for him and nothing. My heart is broken and nothing can fill this void. I feel hopeless and can’t imagine never seeing him again. If anyone can relate please share how you got through this traumatic time. I will not stop searching but each passing day without him brings less and less hope. My baby is gone

Welcome to the forums, @lredwine, though I am so very sorry to hear the circumstances that brought you here. I have lost a few parrots over the years, fortunately for me I've always managed to somehow get them back, but if I hadn't I would be feeling exactly as devastated as you are now. Have you listed him with the Parrot Alert website? We've had a few members who have been reunited via their service, the link to their site is below ...

You can also search Parrot Alert for "found birds" in your area too.

Truly there are very few feelings in the world worse than what you are going through, and you have my every sympathy. I'm praying you get your precious boy back 🙏🙏🙏

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
I;ve lost 2 parrots over my time owning them. One I lost in NYC, and I did not retreive him, but that was like almost 40+ yrs ago, way before internet, and any good advice on getting him back . The other was like 10 yrs ago, and I did get him back, he was in a neighbors tree, 4 houses over.
I think what’s so hard is we have a ton of trees in our neighborhood they are everywhere just tons and tons big and small. I’m going to go door to door and hand out flyers. I appreciate all the info and it does give me hope. How long was your other one gone for?

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
Welcome to the forums, @lredwine, though I am so very sorry to hear the circumstances that brought you here. I have lost a few parrots over the years, fortunately for me I've always managed to somehow get them back, but if I hadn't I would be feeling exactly as devastated as you are now. Have you listed him with the Parrot Alert website? We've had a few members who have been reunited via their service, the link to their site is below ...

You can also search Parrot Alert for "found birds" in your area too.

Truly there are very few feelings in the world worse than what you are going through, and you have my every sympathy. I'm praying you get your precious boy back 🙏🙏🙏
Yes I did list him there and have been checking everyday to see if he is posted. I’m praying I get him back I’m literally broken it’s been miserable thank you so much for your advice and encouragement and hope I really need it right now

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I am so sorry. I can’t even imagine. No one can understand the bond we develop with them better than a fellow bird owner. Others just don’t get it. My heart goes out to you. Praying for you and hoping you find him safe and sound. It sounds like you are doing all you can. Flyers are a fantastic idea and sounds like you are already keeping a cage outside for him with food. I hope he finds his way back as soon as possible.

Eleanor

Jun 16, 2023
Parrots
GCC
I know exactly how you feel. I lost a female GCC the same way not very long ago. My girl is gone. A cat killed her. Horrible way to get closure but at least I know she's not out there alone or suffering. Let your grief out. I'm getting over it bonding with a new GCC. My husband insisted on getting one immediately rather than wait for a bird from a breeder. Not the best decision because he was terrified and wanted nothing to do with people. It has taken quite a few weeks with baby steps but he's getting more attached and interactive every day. He's grooming my hand as I type this. If you don't find him, there's another bird out there that needs you.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
I am so sorry. I can’t even imagine. No one can understand the bond we develop with them better than a fellow bird owner. Others just don’t get it. My heart goes out to you. Praying for you and hoping you find him safe and sound. It sounds like you are doing all you can. Flyers are a fantastic idea and sounds like you are already keeping a cage outside for him with food. I hope he finds his way back as soon as possible.
Thank you I need any good thoughts and support right now. It’s been one of the hardest times in my life I didn’t think it would ever happen and now that it has I’m so extremely sad.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
Thank you I need any good thoughts and support right now. It’s been one of the hardest times in my life I didn’t think it would ever happen and now that it has I’m so extremely sad.
I know exactly how you feel. I lost a female GCC the same way not very long ago. My girl is gone. A cat killed her. Horrible way to get closure but at least I know she's not out there alone or suffering. Let your grief out. I'm getting over it bonding with a new GCC. My husband insisted on getting one immediately rather than wait for a bird from a breeder. Not the best decision because he was terrified and wanted nothing to do with people. It has taken quite a few weeks with baby steps but he's getting more attached and interactive every day. He's grooming my hand as I type this. If you don't find him, there's another bird out there that needs you.
Oh my gosh that is terrible I’m so sorry for your loss but you’re right the unknown is the worse. I have no idea if he is safe or being loved or suffering. It breaks my heart a little more each day. I know time will help heal but I just can’t imagine life without him. How did you get through it I’m literally not eating or sleeping at all just looking for him

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for what you're going through, and I'm glad you found us where we understand your feelings.
Here is a good thread for other things to try that you may not thought of:

Bring Them Home! Tips On Locating A Lost Bird

I'm sending prayers that your baby comes home to you, and again, I'm so sorry this happened.
I haven't lost a bird except for them passing, so I can only imagine the agony of not knowing.
When you feel up to it, I know we would love to get to know him, if only through your words for now.

Eleanor

Jun 16, 2023
Parrots
GCC
Oh my gosh that is terrible I’m so sorry for your loss but you’re right the unknown is the worse. I have no idea if he is safe or being loved or suffering. It breaks my heart a little more each day. I know time will help heal but I just can’t imagine life without him. How did you get through it I’m literally not eating or sleeping at all just looking for him
I know. The world goes grey. The air is sucked out of the room by the void they leave. Remember he's a bird and there is no limit to where he could be by now. You've done all you can to find him and he still might turn up but my advice would be to get another bird. It made it much easier and even though he is a very different personality there are many things he does that she did too. I thought about getting a different type of conure or parrot but glad I didn't. I lost a parakeet the same way many years ago. Forgot he was on me, went outside and he flew off never to be seen again. Also had a squirrel I raised from before his eyes were even open. Had him for two glorious years then he got out - and within 6 months our farm which had never had squirrels was covered with young ones. I did spot him once or twice, but he ran the other way when he heard my voice. Be grateful for the time you had and open your heart to a new bird.-

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
I know. The world goes grey. The air is sucked out of the room by the void they leave. Remember he's a bird and there is no limit to where he could be by now. You've done all you can to find him and he still might turn up but my advice would be to get another bird. It made it much easier and even though he is a very different personality there are many things he does that she did too. I thought about getting a different type of conure or parrot but glad I didn't. I lost a parakeet the same way many years ago. Forgot he was on me, went outside and he flew off never to be seen again. Also had a squirrel I raised from before his eyes were even open. Had him for two glorious years then he got out - and within 6 months our farm which had never had squirrels was covered with young ones. I did spot him once or twice, but he ran the other way when he heard my voice. Be grateful for the time you had and open your heart to a new bird.-
You’re right and I know in time I will heal. I want to have hope he will return but also be realistic. This was my first bird and the bonding was something I didn’t expect. I just want to feel better and stop crying.

OP
lredwine

lredwine

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Conure green cheek
I'm so sorry for what you're going through, and I'm glad you found us where we understand your feelings.
Here is a good thread for other things to try that you may not thought of:

Bring Them Home! Tips On Locating A Lost Bird

I'm sending prayers that your baby comes home to you, and again, I'm so sorry this happened.
I haven't lost a bird except for them passing, so I can only imagine the agony of not knowing.
When you feel up to it, I know we would love to get to know him, if only through your words for now.
I’m so glad I found this forum also it’s w people who understand my pain. He was quirky, and sweet, he loved giving kisses and sitting on top of my head. I have so many fond memories of him with my two boys. He just has the best personality. Thank you for the information I’m reading it now

Most Reactions