my conure screams a lot but most annoying is when im on phone

kimcarmean

Jan 30, 2021
Media
my conure screams a lot but most annoying is when im on phone.every time as soon as i answer he screeches repeatedly the people on phone cant even hear me.
:gcc:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
He is jealous of the attention you pay to the phone. Try to answer it in another room.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
He is jealous of the attention you pay to the phone. Try to answer it in another room.

Yup, they are as crafty as a three year old! All of your attention must be directed to them at all times! :D

Might try and condition your bird to tolerate diversion of attention, but sometimes the simplest cure is better.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Yup, they are as crafty as a three year old! All of your attention must be directed to them at all times! :D

Might try and condition your bird to tolerate diversion of attention, but sometimes the simplest cure is better.

Yep,
I had to go through this. I bribed my way out. When I held the phone I gave her a seed treat, and repeated a lot. She used to bite the phone and tell it no, too. Now she pays it no mind...
But if I'm having an animated conversation they all get loud , like it's a party.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I am happy to tell you my galah does the same thing.
I have to go in my bedroom and close the door. If he hears just say hello he starts in.
And he has been doing it for 5yrs. If someone comes over he will scream for about a minute or two. And the settles down. Welcome to being owned by a parrot.:D

FrancisMom

Nov 4, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Parrots
U2 - Francis "Francie"
Francis does it too. I've tried just sitting and talking to an "empty" phone (no one on the other end) but he doesn't do anything. It's only when I'm actually talking to someone on the other end.

I think I'll try Laurasea's solution to train him out of that.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty LOVES to talk when my wife is on the phone with her step-mom. Only then. Other times he could care less. How do they know? HOW??

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I was gonna say... AND? but other beat me to it basically. Actually clark is petty quiet it's te quaker that goes nuts.....Enjoy an love your parrot.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
my conure screams a lot but most annoying is when im on phone.every time as soon as i answer he screeches repeatedly the people on phone cant even hear me.
:gcc:

Yes, they do! It’s written in the secret handbook read by all parrots!

And part of that training is to teach perfect pitch! All parrots have the uncanny ability to match the frequency curve of any device, including hearing aids! Thus, they come across at twice the volume, even from another room!

Last edited:
OP
K

kimcarmean

Jan 30, 2021
Media
I was gonna say... AND? but other beat me to it basically. Actually clark is petty quiet it's te quaker that goes nuts.....Enjoy an love your parrot.
and what? was just wondering if others do this too, and i didn't see anyone else answer with and?
:green1:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Attention grab! My YNA does it really bad sometimes, especially when my kids have zoom meetings for school and such. They have to go hide at the other end of the house so they can hear anything over her. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts