My Ecelectus - Loki & Rubi (Guess which ones the female?! :) )

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Sorry to hear you don't have the formula.
I don't have any suggestions for what to do until you get some.
You can try co-feeding. From what I understand it does work.
Get a scale and start recording their weights. That way you will know what they are gaining and IF they are gaining.

Please read up on what you need to have in your nursery and get it stocked. You are behind on some things that should already be in your home. You are going to need a digital food thermometer too. Even if you don't think you will be doing this again...you need it now for this clutch.

OP
madbradjohnson

madbradjohnson

Apr 4, 2018
Somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere
Parrots
Loki (Male Solomon Island Eclectus)
Rubi (Female Solomon Island Eclectus)
Can you call your avian vet? I've never heard of a AV who doesn't take after hours calls in urgent/emergency situations. They may have some hand feeding formula in the office or a suggestion of some kind of human food you can offer to tie the baby over until you can buy proper formula in the morning. They may also recommend leaving the baby alone. I'm not sure as I'm not a vet, but it's worth a shot to contact yours which may well save this sweet little babies life.

Hahahahaha... I live in a 3rd world country. Just to find a vet that works after hours is a miracle. (we have HUUUGE safety problems here).

Will call Vet in the morning. Will update.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Do parrots reject their chicks if handled by a human like wild birds? If not, perhaps you could 'occupy' the larger chick for a while giving the parents a chance to feed the smaller chick. I wouldn't risk it though if they might reject both chicks though.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Do parrots reject their chicks if handled by a human like wild birds? If not, perhaps you could 'occupy' the larger chick for a while giving the parents a chance to feed the smaller chick. I wouldn't risk it though if they might reject both chicks though.

Supposedly they don't April. Some breeders start handling their chicks and weighing them right away. Others after about 10 days - two weeks.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
There is thread on this forum
Baby Eclectus - Watch him grow![Photos]
I don't know how to attach it or I would.
Great photos. Try to find it and read it.

OP
madbradjohnson

madbradjohnson

Apr 4, 2018
Parrots

Supposedly they don't April. Some breeders start handling their chicks and weighing them right away. Others after about 10 days - two weeks.

I have handled the babies already. Don't seem to be having any trouble. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your beautiful Eclectus! You've received some excellent advice, wish I had sage breeding techniques to share. Most important to focus on the second and smaller chick; as others have suggested it may be necessary to hand-feed.

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Hello and welcome!
Is there any possibility that the first chick was hatched for longer than you realised? Had you been checking the nest box daily or not? There can be quite a while between hatches. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will chime in.
I just know that there's around a week between my siblings hatch dates.

Last edited:
OP
madbradjohnson

madbradjohnson

Apr 4, 2018
Parrots
Hello and welcome!
Is there any possibility that the first chick was hatched for longer than you realised? Had you been checking the nest box daily or not? There can be quite a while between hatches. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will chime in.
I just know that there's around a week between my siblings hatch dates.

I also think it could've been a week. But the difference in the size makes it seem longer. I usually check the box one to 3 times per week. In this case, I was late. (I did not expect any of the other eggs to hatch after the 1st one)

Most Reactions

Latest posts