My job situation...

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I know about 2 months ago I told everyone that the place that I was working at was getting shut down and I didn't know what was going to happen..so I guess it's time for an update.

They've moved me to a different office about 2 miles away from where I was previously working. While I'm thankful that I still have a job and that they'll be flexible with my schedule, I quite honestly can't stand it here.
Everyone smokes in the office and I'm just kind of stuck in the middle of it. There have even been times when I've come in and there's people sitting at my desk smoking cigars! The other woman that works in the office with me is very snotty towards me, and if I ask questions about something I don't understand, she just criticizes me and acts really annoyed. Also, I've been moved from 40 hours/week at my other job to only 24 hours/week here. Plus, at the other place I got a free tank of gas each week and here I get nothing even though I use my car for business purposes.

Since I am studying for the GRE and looking up graduate schools, I quit my waitressing job at the end of June. Actually, my last day at the hotel was the same day that I found out everyone at my other office job was getting laid off (do you understand that?). I've added it up, and since the change in my jobs, my total income for this year will be less than half of my income from last year. I've had to take out student loans (which I didn't want to do until grad. school), but I thought it was more important to do well in school and have some debt when I graduate rather than work 70+ hours a week, be debt free, but only do 'average' in school.

I have a gas-guzzling SUV that is needing a lot of repairs (new tires, shocks, brakes, transmission, alignment, etc.). I looked into getting an inexpensive foreign car with good gas mileage, but since I live in the motor city, owning a foreign car is pretty much a sin, and besides, car payments and insurance payments would be too much for me on my meager income. I would actually save money by doing all the repairs to my car.

While I was driving back to work from lunch today, my car ran out of gas and I had to walk to the gas station and get gas. I usually fill up on fridays, but I thought I could wait until I got out of work today to do it. Well when I finally got back to work the other woman in the office didn't know I was there and she was talking about me. It just frustrated me more than I already was and just wanted to vent to someone, so I chose you guys. haha.

Well if you've made it this far, then thank you for being so patient and listening to me b**** about ridiculous things that I'm sure everyone else experiences from time to time also.

I understand completly Nicole. People smoke at he office I work in now, and its horrible. Most of the time my boss is an idiot, just goes around cursing at minor things.

Good luck with everything and come and vent whenever you want to. :D

A few things ... first, I'm sorry for your predicament, Nicole ... it sounds more than a little frustrating (understatement).

I work with (actually my last day is next Friday) a very negative, b!tchy younger gal ... being in negative circumstances sure can put a damper on one's own outlook, even when you try to let it slide or overlook it. I'm sorry.

As for smoking ... I am stunned and appalled (and YES, I am a smoker). In Colorado, there is an indoor clean air law: No smoking allowed--not office buildings, not restaraunts, nada ... you should not have to work under such conditions no matter what state you live in. And, again, I am sorry that you find yourself in such circumstances. :(

Vent away! Anytime ...

There's one thing that I really cannot stand and thats people talking about other people behind their backs. If they feel they need to do it they should at least have enough balls to do it to the person involved.

Just recently the UK has gone smoke free, well when I say smoke free I mean in offices, clubs cinemas etc any inclosed space. Smoking, well I have nothing against anyone who smokes and nothing against anyone who doesn't smoke but I do think people should be aware of others feelings

Anytime you want or need to vent you come along here and vent away. We are all here for you. I'm so sorry that you have had to go through this I really am.

There's one thing that I really cannot stand and thats people talking about other people behind their backs. If they feel they need to do it they should at least have enough balls to do it to the person involved.

I believe in that as well!

So sorry for what you are going through, and don't hesitate to vent in here.We are here for eachother about anything... :D

Well then in that case, I have this problem with my fiancee ... :p

I'm so sorry, Nicole. I hope stuff starts getting better. Venting really does help, doesn't it?
I used to hate when people came into the bar I worked at and smoked.. was in NY and thats a no-no. One guy refused and was so rude I dumped the beer he wanted over the smoke. It was in his mouth at the time so he wasn't very happy with me but... hey being the manager has its perks right? lol.. Feel better!!!

Hey, I didn't ignore you!:D

Just didn't get it once again!I had a dumb moment ok?
You made me admit it....:D

p.s. before anyone asks, my hair is black!

Hey, I didn't ignore you!:D

Just didn't get it once again!I had a dumb moment ok?
You made me admit it....:D

p.s. before anyone asks, my hair is black!

Pheob, my hair is ...er, was, black too ... I have dumb ("duh") moments quite often. The older you get the more frequent they become ... now, see what you have to look forward to??

(PS, I usually call them 'brain farts' ... :p )

I didnt think people could smoke indoors anywhere by now. Here it's been out for years and years. Does anyone know what the rules about that are in California? I have asthma, and I cannot be in a smoking environment like that.

I know that here in NH they passed a law like 85 days ago that banned smoking in bars and restaurants (really, it's about time) and that law went into effect 90 days from the day it passed. I know that MA, ME and VT have all been smoke free for a while now ... don't know about the rest of the US

Geesh, I never even thought it would be an issue!

Indi, don't get excited or borrow trouble. You are under a lot of stress right now ... just wait to hear from someone from California to get the real scoop!

Breathe in, release, breathe in, release ... ... ... (((indi)))

Indi- California has banned indoor smoking. One of my Professors went to school there and she was a smoker. She said it sucked for her, but that's what they have patios for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back