My parrot is losing feathers around eye and has troubles breathing

aleenaezazul

May 28, 2022
Parrots
indian ringnecks
I don't know what's wrong with my little sky she is losing feathers around her eyes and she has always had quite red eyes. She also breaths really heavily sometimes and I don't know if it all related. She recently has a bump around both her eyes. Can someone please help.
IMG-3043.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thats the periorbital sinus. Likely an infection which causes tge swelling and feather loss in that area.

Would definitely get to an avian veterinarian.

OP
A

aleenaezazul

May 28, 2022
Parrots
indian ringnecks
she has been losing eye feathers for over a week now but there is no local avian vet near me.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
she has been losing eye feathers for over a week now but there is no local avian vet near me.
Try checking here? There may not be an avian vet, but there could be an exotic vet or a vet with bird experience.

OP
A

aleenaezazul

May 28, 2022
Parrots
indian ringnecks
I am worried for her as she is losing feathers around her eye and she blinks a few times but seems fine.
unnamed.jpg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Do you see any pin/blood feathers on her body? It's those sharp-looking ones.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
birds have sinuses in their heads which arenā€™t enclosed by bone as are our sinuses. So if they get s sinus infection they swell up visibly. It sounds like this is what youā€™re describing. And it is reasonable that sheā€™d lose those feathers as well.

She needs to be treated by a veterinarian to address the sinus infection. It wonā€™t go away without treatment. Iā€™m also concerned about the heavy breathing. That is troubling as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts