My Quaker Paulie

Sher

May 10, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
2 Quakers and an Umbrella Cockatoo
Paulie came to me as a picker a couple months ago. He now has lots of butt feathers and hasn't picked the new ones on his chest for about 2 weeks. (YaY)
Last night he flew out of his cage & onto my head- he has never done this before. He never comes out voluntarily.
I think he is picking my hair. It feel like he is scratching my scalp and pulling hair and it hurts. He has done it so many times already this morning I had to close his door :(
Any ideas why he is doing this? He has lots of toys that he plays with.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Sounds like he is trying to groom you. Are his nails real sharp? he may need the tips nipped off. that may be why your getting scratched. Other than that it sounds like he likes you:)

Tuukee

Dec 16, 2012
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
try the cement perches for trimming, Tuukee preens my eyebrows, my eye lashes, sometimes he pinches my eyelids, he preens my hair too, i tell him thank you, when he does it... i hope he continues to do well, im so happy that he's got a great home with you!!!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
if u can get him off your head easily, you can work on stopping the constant head landing so he knows to not do it. sometimes these things are so cute or sweet when they start that we praise or make a big deal about it, then the birdies think it is a good thing. not saying that is what is going on, but it is something to be aware of in, i.e. picture taking, or laughing or other person in home giving it attention.

OP
S

Sher

May 10, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Yes, his nails are sharp. I just got one of the cement perches, hopefully it will help soon.
He needs some training, he won't step up from atop my head he just bites. When I am able to get him out & away from his cage he steps up a few times, lets me preen him, he talks to me & gives kisses but then flies off. He needs his wings clipped, I just don't want to add any stress on him so I am trying to ease into things with him.
He is a sweetie until I try to do anything at all with his cage, including food & water. I understand that is common in the Quakers but do they ever get use to it?
Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated :)

OP
S

Sher

May 10, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
I am in awe of this little bird! He is finally getting comfortable and trusting me, enough so that he just came out of his cage onto my keyboard and stepped up when I offered my hand! I am excited about this!
I think it may be because of the "I like new Butt feathers" song I made up just for him :D

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Reminds me of when Darcy does this. I'm not sure what he thinks he's doing, because he takes a handful of my hair, and tears at it and mats it all up.

[ame=http://youtu.be/dX1Qan9vYe8]This is why I have split ends - YouTube[/ame]

OP
S

Sher

May 10, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Same thing here Remy. I wish I had focused better so you would be able to see all the new feathers we are so proud of.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JloAKvL4wDc"]Paulie picking at my hair - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

BirdBrains2233

Apr 16, 2013
Media
Upstate South Carolina
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Powder Blue Quaker and a Moluccan Too!
One thing i try not to let mine do is sit on my head. Would hate to walk out the house not realizing he made a mess on me. Dont know about prices in out area's, but my local bird store does clippings and nails and only cost me like 4 bucks for both.

OP
S

Sher

May 10, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
I agree Birdbrain- normally. I am trying not to add any stress on him right now. He is getting more & more comfortable everyday here, so soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts