May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yes... for now. There may be an even higher mountain on Jupiter's moons or somewhere unexplored... unlikely, though.

You can keep 10 female bettas in a 10gal tank without them killing each other.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Myth
Betta sororities usually don't work and even if someone claims it is working, they are probably still fighting. It can be hard to tell, especially if the betta has long fins, are getting chewed. The only way a tank with more than one betta would work is if there's tons of hiding spots and probably at least 20gal minimum, and I would say try maybe 3-4 females.

Snakes are deaf. Fact or myth?

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'm not sure what you mean - if you talk about blue (/albino, grey, parblue etc) and non-blue (green/lutino etc) then fact (it's the only meaning of color base I've seen and personally I never use it)

Blue mutation exists among kakarikis

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm not sure what you mean - if you talk about blue (/albino, grey, parblue etc) and non-blue (green/lutino etc) then fact (it's the only meaning of color base I've seen and personally I never use it)

Blue mutation exists among kakarikis
The two "base colors" in budgies are yellow and white, not blue and green. All budgies have yellow or white on them. The main colors you see on budgies with no body pattern mutation aren't their base color, they're their secondary color.

Fact, I think it's their natural color...?

2 male guinea pigs can be housed together safely.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Nope. The natural color is green. People always say "blue kakariki" about parblue mutation
The two "base colors" in budgies are yellow and white, not blue and green. All budgies have yellow or white on them. The main colors you see on budgies with no body pattern mutation aren't their base color, they're their secondary color.
I was almost right. Now yellow and white makes more sense but I still prefer genetics - I meant blue mutation and all its combinations and non-blue ones so the diverse was the same. πŸ˜›

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
Fact or Myth?: Can the 3 or 5 second safety rule for food dropped to the floor be trusted?

Absolutely not! Once the food hits the floor, it's contaminated, bacteria doesn't care how long it stays on the floor.

Fact or Myth? If a human touches wild baby birds, the parents will abandon the chicks.
About food on the ground, this can vary depending on what type of food it is and where you drop it.
Sweeter foods are actually known to be safer for a longer period of time on the ground.
And some places are less contaminated, for example: You'd be safer eating a cookie off a sidewalk than your kitchen floor, because your kitchen floor has way more germs than being outside. Your kitchen floor could be coated with E-coli and Salmonella from raw meats and eggs

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo

2 male guinea pigs can be housed together safely.
Myth and fact, it's like parrots, it depends if they're used to each other and if they're able to get away from each other as needed. But it is highly not recommended to keep them together for long periods of time and without supervision.

Myth or fact: Reptiles carry salmonella and you should wear gloves when handling one

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Myth and fact, it's like parrots, it depends if they're used to each other and if they're able to get away from each other as needed. But it is highly not recommended to keep them together for long periods of time and without supervision.

Myth or fact: Reptiles carry salmonella and you should wear gloves when handling one
Myth! It's said you have a higher chance of getting salmonella when eating chicken from the grocery store. If your reptile is kept clean the chance is very low but you should still wash your hands after handling them. I do with my snakes.

Myth or fact: Snakes unhinge their jaws when eating.

Most Reactions