Naughty little conures

Harrystyles

Sep 16, 2022
Parrots
Conures
So I recently got 2 sun conures,they are about 5-6 months old, and are very naughty. The scream a lot for attentions,don’t stay inside the cage and create chaos, any tips to calm them down a bit ?

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
So I recently got 2 sun conures,they are about 5-6 months old, and are very naughty. The scream a lot for attentions,don’t stay inside the cage and create chaos, any tips to calm them down a bit ?
They are probably getting used to their new environment. I have only have one conure and he can be a handful sometimes but I love him so much lol.
Lots of toys the conures can shred will be great to keep them entertained. I usually make foraging trays for my conure and it keep him busy throughout the day. Also make sure they are getting 8-9 hours o sleep. When my conure has less sleep he get grouchy and tends to bite, it’s his way of telling me he is tired. I usually move my conures cage to a dark room. And lastly after they form a bond with you, the conures will hopefully calm down a little. Conures have a sassy personality that you will get used to and love!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I don't know much about conures but new parrots are usually pretty rowdy as they try to process their new environment; after all, it is a huge adjustment, and birds are creatures of habit. They should calm down as your relationship improves, so I wouldn't think too much of it. However, there is one very important thing to note:

Parrots will be naughty. I've said it before and I'll say it again: these are not pets. They are wild animals that we've brought into our houses, and it is unfair to want them to adapt, rather than the other way around. OP, I'm sure you were well aware of this, and that you are going to make a great parent to your birds. I'm simply leaving this here as a small reminder-- if, perhaps, someone stumbles across this in the future with a similar concern.

But my main point is that the behavioral issues are likely a byproduct of the stress of a large adjustment, and as long as you put some work into bonding with them, they will most likely mellow out before long.

Congrats on your conures!!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
They calm down over time.....good luck!

Most Reactions