Need advice about leaving lovebird outside in cage

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
She seems to love it. I have some bird feeders outside and she loves yelling at the outside birds.

But I worry sometimes.

What about next door neighbor mowing lawn? Are the fumes so harmful that I should pull the bird inside?

What about temperature? I have heard that lovebirds are okay between 65 and 95. I live in Denver. We have hot and dry summers, although the morning are cooler.

I always stay nearby. I have seen cats outside. Even with Lucky in a cage, I worry a little.

Last edited:

U2gal

May 20, 2013
I wouldn't do it unless you are always nearby and she has a sturdy cage.:)

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Basil loves yelling at the outside birdies too. I wouldn't leave him out there unattended though. It's very exciting and he would never relax enough to have a nap (I don't think). Plus we have crows and ravens and hawks and merlins who might be up to the challenge of breaking open his cage to get at a lovebird treat!

It is nice to have him outside if I am in the yard. The sun is good for him. Lately I've been giving him a little shower while outside so his feathers can dry in the sun.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My Goffin's does well in her outdoor cage, just make sure you have plenty of shade and water. I also have a cover on half of the cage where she can get under for a nap and not be disturbed by outdoor birds.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
personally, i wouldnt leave her out in the cage alone unsupervised. not such a small bird particularly. hawks will go after her, and can get her through the cage bars :(

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Also you said there are cats outside. I personally would not take the chance unless I was by the cage at all times. Also snakes can get though the bars on a cage. And a lovebird would be a tasty snack:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts