Need advice before vet visit

Sleepyquaker

May 1, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum as I am new here :( I have booked an appointment for my baby and the earliest I've been given is tomorrow afternoon, I will try to call again early tomorrow morning to see if there's any cancellations. For context, my quaker has been injured as he got trapped in-between the door while it was closing. By the looks of it he has injured his eye and may have bit down on his tongue as it happened. He can drink, but I think he is too afraid or in pain to be able to eat solid foods. I've tried giving him watered down foods but he has only had a little. Any advice or ideas on what to try to give him to eat/drink or what to do as I wait will be greatly appreciated. I feel devastated.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sorry this has happened to your Quaker!
Do you have any baby parrot formula on hand?
Right now, the best thing is to keep him warm and see if you can get him to eat anything.
Anything he wants, even if itā€™s treat food.
I would keep him in a travel cage until tomorrow with low perches and a soft bottom, which can be achieved with a towel it several layers of paper towel.

OP
Sleepyquaker

Sleepyquaker

May 1, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Sorry this has happened to your Quaker!
Do you have any baby parrot formula on hand?
Right now, the best thing is to keep him warm and see if you can get him to eat anything.
Anything he wants, even if itā€™s treat food.
I would keep him in a travel cage until tomorrow with low perches and a soft bottom, which can be achieved with a towel it several layers of paper towel.
I do not have any parrot formula on me unfortunately. He seems to want to eat solid foods, but is unable to chew or swallow it down. Iā€™ve tried multiple things including his treats but he hesitates eating them. I think heā€™s only able to swallow liquids at the moment.

I will try placing him in his travel cage and monitoring his behaviour, thank you so much for the advice!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I do not have any parrot formula on me unfortunately. He seems to want to eat solid foods, but is unable to chew or swallow it down. Iā€™ve tried multiple things including his treats but he hesitates eating them. I think heā€™s only able to swallow liquids at the moment.

I will try placing him in his travel cage and monitoring his behaviour, thank you so much for the advice!
At least heā€™s able to eat liquids. You could try giving him purĆ©ed fruit or mashed sweet potato, butternut/acorn squash mixed with water.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good choices zERo! If he has a fav grain or nut treat, mash that into powder and add to the above foods (just the treat, not the shells, LOL).

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum as I am new here :( I have booked an appointment for my baby and the earliest I've been given is tomorrow afternoon, I will try to call again early tomorrow morning to see if there's any cancellations. For context, my quaker has been injured as he got trapped in-between the door while it was closing. By the looks of it he has injured his eye and may have bit down on his tongue as it happened. He can drink, but I think he is too afraid or in pain to be able to eat solid foods. I've tried giving him watered down foods but he has only had a little. Any advice or ideas on what to try to give him to eat/drink or what to do as I wait will be greatly appreciated. I feel devastated.
I hope your Quaker isn't seriously injured. As long as you keep him safe and warm and he consumes liquids he will not be in further danger until his appointment. An adult parrot his size has enough body mass to go without eating for few days. If the vet thinks getting some immediate nutrition in him is important they can tube feed him directly into his crop (something you should NEVER try at home). Good luck!

OP
Sleepyquaker

Sleepyquaker

May 1, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I hope your Quaker isn't seriously injured. As long as you keep him safe and warm and he consumes liquids he will not be in further danger until his appointment. An adult parrot his size has enough body mass to go without eating for few days. If the vet thinks getting some immediate nutrition in him is important they can tube feed him directly into his crop (something you should NEVER try at home). Good luck!
Thank you for your response!
I took him to the vets yesterday and all seems well overall thankfully! :ā€™) He just seems to be a little weary of eating solid foods so theyā€™ve given me some food that he is able to eat and some meds to help with any inflammation or pain.

Thank you everyone on this post for the advice and helpful information, Iā€™m super grateful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts