Need advice for new cockatoo owner

craftyGAgal

Feb 13, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Parrots
Senegal,
Triton Cockatoo
HI, I am recently owned by a 8month old Triton Cockatoo named Maggie May. She was previously had by a 12 yr old boy who adored her but his sister was highly allergic. She was my early bday present from my husband. I asked all the right questions and was told she was a sweet good natured baby that screamed very little in the evening hours. I got her last Thurday night so close to one week. Since she has come home she screams way more then at night, and while I thought I was prepared for how loud it would be- holy make your ears bleed. She is so flipping funny and entertaining the entire family adores her. I emailed previous owners and she promised me this is not how she was there- gave me her schedule and said it was strictly an allergy issue that they had. The one thing I worry about is I have an elderly chihuahua who has stopped eating & is a nervous wreck & I have a son who gets migraines and this makes me nervous. Also this sweet bird has bit me a couple times- don't seem like agressive type bites- I keep telling myself she is adjusting and still just a baby & I am willing to get bite but it's not fun. I got her bc my boys could boy (10 yr old twins) interact with her where my senegal is more my bird and I am her prefered person by far. I am willing and able to deal with some amount of screaming - the night time kind that is in her DNA, her excited ones...but it is quickly becoming more common and frequent.
SOoo my questions are a follows-
1) How long is a normal adjustment period for a cockatoo?
2) Any tips on how to work on the screaming issue- especially the "i'm not getting what I want ones"? I don;t want it to get any worse and really hope to find ways to make it better- while my husband is working with her and me now.... I have a had to start explaining to him this will be the rest of our life living with some amount of screaming.
3) COvering a cage- I have been at night and she doesn't make a peep till I uncover her but I have read mixed things bout covering so opinions?
4) Biting? Is it typical for a sweet non biting bird to start biting in a new home?? Is she just testing me? What can I do to help?

I do think I need to get her more foraging and shredable toys to keep her occupied...
Any and all tips are GREATLY appreciated!!!

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
It sounds to me like things are going fairly normally. She is going to scream. She is new and unsure so her behavior may not be exactly like they were in her former home. It can take a long time for her to settle in, but you can certainly help her along with toys to chew and relieve stress. Don't respond to the screaming. Don't go to her or "give her what she wants". This will simply re-enforce it.

A note about covering her cage--- Make sure you don't get into the habit of over-using the cover to keep her quite. I've seen it many many times when people get frustrated over the noise that they start keeping the bird covered so much that it is cruel to the bird.

Good luck with your girl! Be patient! It's not even been a week yet!

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Well I'm a new too owner myself, and dealing with different issues from yours, but I'll tell you what I know.
When she screams for attention or to get what she wants, don't acknowledge it! It must be hard to ignore, but she needs to learn its not going to get her anywhere. Give her attention and praise when she's quiet, or when she makes noises you like. Can she talk at all, or does she make any quiet "good" sounds? If so, every single time she does that, give her attention and/or a treat. She should eventually learn that screaming is a waste of time. But even if her screaming gets acknowledged one time out of ten, that's still bad. She'll view it as "winning the lottery" and it'll encourage her to scream more.

As for the biting, is it exploratory nibbling and she's just exerting too much pressure? That's where I'm at with my rose-breasted. He loves to play and chew chew chew, even on me...ouch! Not fun. I'm working on discouraging it but so far it's still an issue so I'll leave others to give advice. I know if it's an aggressive bite, don't react with a lot of drama or it'll reinforce the behavior.

I see nothing wrong with covering the cage at night, but don't do it as "punishment" to make her stop screaming during the day. That's cruel.

I think the adjustment period for a cockatoo going into a new home is probably at least a few weeks to a few months, but it depends on the bird.

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
Congrats on the new baby. Sounds like she is being normal as any bird in a new family. I think you have great tips here from other posters. Just be patient and take it one day at a time.

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
CraftyGagal~
Congrats on your new baby! It can be difficult adopting a bird that has already been homed and ultimately rejected for whatever reasons. The thing I have found is that people (when rehoming birds) are almost never honest- so giving the bird the benefit of the doubt is usually the best course of action. Cockatoos are wonderful birds. they are comical loving, energetic thirsty for new experiences and adventures- but they also are not likely to forget. Always be at your calmest when approaching a 2- they really do respond to your emotions. I have an M2 that has had at least 6 homes in her 10-12 years (I am #7). and there are days where I literally have to take many deep breathes before approaching her. (I work at the dmv-don't hold that against me tho!)- so I do have stressful days and Lola can sense it. I have noticed tho (when I pay attention) that SHE gives me the opportunity to calm myself down before dealing with her physically. It sounds strange but I my routine everyday is get home from work, change my clothes and take her out for the rest of the night- well when I am in a foul or stressed mood she always tilts her head to the side so I can scratch it- normal behavior...but if I have not calmed down and I am trying to rush the process she keeps her head tilted and will not step up until I have calmed myself. It is so funny the things we learn by our pets...dogs cats whatever. But the things we learn about ourselves from our birds really is quite amazing when you stop and think about it.

Best of luck~

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
also It took Lola 30 days to accept my new home (#7-for her). but it honestly took me having a conversation with her where I told her I promise to be her last home I will work hard to be a good mommy. She also has some other issues that I acknowledged in that conversation but honestly once I addressed her "mommy to baby" things seemed to get better for her and I, the biting totally stopped (and some of those bites I should have had stitches). The screaming stopped...althought not entirely. She does still have her too much TOO energy screamage that makes your eardrums thump.... I give her my "mom-eye" (kinda like the stink eye but not as mean) she will stop almost instantly with the mom-eye...then I tell her thats not how I talk to you, so please do not talk to me like that. Sometimes she will try to squak one in...but anymore she pays attention. Also she has a "song" like a morning bird.... she always gets a pine nut when I hear her sing that song.

And....I know...I talk far too much about my babies! I do cover Lola and JJ at night- 8.30p until 7.15am. every night. I have always been adament about covering otehrwise they act like they are missing out on the action.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Yep, sounds normal to me! So, a few repeated tips;

-As already stated, when she's screaming - IGNORE HER.
-Screaming is also normal. Too's typically scream a minimum of twice a day; Morning and Evening. It's been called a variety of things, but in our house, we call it the "Jungle Dance". They like to great the sun and say goodnight as well. This is typical behavior in the wild as well. They also scream when they're happy, when they're mad, when they're playing. Some more than others.
-Biting is normal. You are going to get bit, it's just a matter of when. Every Too owner, no matter how sweet their Too is, is bound to be bit. There is almost always a reason, whether we necessarily understand the reason or not. The important thing is to learn your particular birds signs.
-Some birds prefer to be covered at night. My Sugar is one of them. Some birds hate it, and my Loki is one of them. Sugar literally cannot sleep without being covered, I've tried numerous times to no avail. She is simply not comfortable sleeping without a cover. Loki, however, is the opposite. I tried covering him before and he wasn't having it! So you need to take cues from your bird in regards to that. Did the previous owners cover the bird at night?
-Don't use covering the bird as a means to keep the bird quiet. I have seen birds that become neurotic due to this. It can induce plucking, which is difficult to stop once it has started.

I hope that's of help. Good luck!

OP
C

craftyGAgal

Feb 13, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Parrots
Senegal,
Triton Cockatoo
Thanks everyone, I have read and reread your responses. I am willing to try anything. I must admit I am very overwhelmed. I want to be her forever home, I want to do everything right, I want I want yet it is very overwhelming.
So when she screams, I just ignore her.... dont put her back in her cage or do anything else, just ignore her?
I have been reading and reading and reading- I keep reading this is the honeymoon period??? Does that mean it will get worse? Also anyone with toos know or have exp w tos chaging personailties totally when they get older- after reaching sexual maturity? All these stories are scaring me (& making me feel guilty for not learning this stuff before taking her in). I am lastly worried bout the advice not to over cuddle- she loves to be petted, loved under her wings but I hear this is also a No No- so now even loving on her has me concerned? Maybe I am over thinking all this.....
AGAIN I THANK everyone for their posts, responses and advice & also a place to come to with people def know more then me.
(Where do I post pics?? Do I need to host them somewhere before posting>)

OP
C

craftyGAgal

Feb 13, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Parrots
Senegal,
Triton Cockatoo
Can she talk at all, or does she make any quiet "good" sounds? If so, every single time she does that, give her attention and/or a treat. She should eventually learn that screaming is a waste of time. But even if her screaming gets acknowledged one time out of ten, that's still bad. She'll view it as "winning the lottery" and it'll encourage her to scream more
Moonchild- yes she can/is starting to talk... she says 'step up"
'love you" does some roster like crow and a chuckle type laugh:D,,,, and she is starting to imitate my dogs bark...along with a few things I can make out. Seems pretty good for a 8th month old to me.....

OP
C

craftyGAgal

Feb 13, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Parrots
Senegal,
Triton Cockatoo
also It took Lola 30 days to accept my new home (#7-for her). but it honestly took me having a conversation with her where I told her I promise to be her last home I will work hard to be a good mommy. She also has some other issues that I acknowledged in that conversation but honestly once I addressed her "mommy to baby" things seemed to get better for her and I, the biting totally stopped (and some of those bites I should have had stitches). The screaming stopped...althought not entirely. She does still have her too much TOO energy screamage that makes your eardrums thump.... I give her my "mom-eye" (kinda like the stink eye but not as mean) she will stop almost instantly with the mom-eye...then I tell her thats not how I talk to you, so please do not talk to me like that. Sometimes she will try to squak one in...but anymore she pays attention. Also she has a "song" like a morning bird.... she always gets a pine nut when I hear her sing that song.

And....I know...I talk far too much about my babies! I do cover Lola and JJ at night- 8.30p until 7.15am. every night. I have always been adament about covering otehrwise they act like they are missing out on the action.
Coco- your post made my HEART SING! I love the talks you have had and totally believe they were totally understood and made all the difference- what a blessed little birdies you have!!! THANKS FOR SHARING!:eek:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
First, where is she screeching? If she's on a playstand and screeching, she's likely not being stimulated with toys, or she's screaming because she's playing and happy. If she's screeching in her cage, leave her be. Ignore her. Her cage is a safe-zone. You always want your Fid to feel comfortable and happy in their cage, which is why a lot of people tell you not to go in after the bird and have them come at least to the door. When you reach in, you're invading their space. And just like children, even negative attention is still attention. You need to reward her when she's quiet, or when she talks instead of screams for you.

Yes, Too's (and macaw's and other species) are known to change personalities once they reach sexual maturity. The reason being is that they are now hormonal and have no outlet for this. In the wild, they would simply mate. In captivity, unless you are a breeder, that's simply not possible. Most mated birds also become unhandleable. This does not necessarily mean that your bird will totally change personalities. It may be that she does, but only during the normal mating season, and then returns to her previous state. You hear a lot of Too owners going "yep, it's hormone's" at certain times of the year. Mostly fall and spring.

In regards to cuddling, I think it really depends on your bird. In many Too's, petting down the back and under the wings is a mating behavior. This should normally be discouraged, because it can send them into a hormonal tizzy. Holding them too close can also be a no-no. However, I think it's important to learn about your bird. Just because something is the "norm" does not make it a die-hard truth. There are always exceptions. I can touch my G2 anywhere I want without any issues - in fact, she loves it. But I can't touch my M2 anywhere but the head, or he gets extremely hormonal. It's always about knowing your particular bird.

Most Reactions