Need Help. Mite?

buhler

Jun 27, 2023
Baby canaries have red spots on their backs. Also, the mother had red spots on her feathers because she was sitting in the hatch. What could be the problem with baby canaries? Do you have any idea? Thanks

1687888756083.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think that they could be red mites, I found this webpage that talks about it:

What are red mites and how to get rid of them?

I hope you're able to find out for sure, do you have an avian vet near you?

OP
B

buhler

Jun 27, 2023
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think that they could be red mites, I found this webpage that talks about it:

What are red mites and how to get rid of them?

I hope you're able to find out for sure, do you have an avian vet near you?
Hi. Thank you for the advice. After your comment, I have moved the birds to another cage. Also, I have added all the necessary accessories, including a new nest. Before moving the birds, I used Exner Petguard to clean them. Now they have stress, I guess. The female hasn't sat on the nest yet since I did this.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi. Thank you for the advice. After your comment, I have moved the birds to another cage. Also, I have added all the necessary accessories, including a new nest. Before moving the birds, I used Exner Petguard to clean them. Now they have stress, I guess. The female hasn't sat on the nest yet since I did this.
Hopefully your female will calm down after a little while. Hopefully the mites will have been left behind. I haven't ever heard of Exner Petguard, how old are your babies? I hope it isn't too strong for them.

OP
B

buhler

Jun 27, 2023

DonnaBudgie

Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Babies are 11 days old. This is the product I used: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0024E4JGQ?tag=haustier-ratgeber-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=exner petguard. It is not dangerous for the birds.
Are the babies feathered at all? They need warmth and maternal feeding to survive. Maybe try covering their cage with a lightweight cloth to block out distractions and encourage the mama to focus on taking care of them. If they don't survive don't blame yourself. You responded appropriately to the situation. Mites are unhealthy parasites. She will lay another clutch (if she's still in breeding condition and with a male) and the next nest of chicks will be healthier.

OP
B

buhler

Jun 27, 2023
They have little feathers. The father and mother are feeding them, but not sitting on them. Babies look healthy. I've fed them a few times. Should I take the babies to a warmer place to feed myself?

OP
B

buhler

Jun 27, 2023
Are the babies feathered at all? They need warmth and maternal feeding to survive. Maybe try covering their cage with a lightweight cloth to block out distractions and encourage the mama to focus on taking care of them. If they don't survive don't blame yourself. You responded appropriately to the situation. Mites are unhealthy parasites. She will lay another clutch (if she's still in breeding condition and with a male) and the next nest of chicks will be healthier.
Their mom was doing this to them. I captured her. I took her to a separate cage. Now the father is feeding them. They are 12 days old. Should I leave them? or should I take the babies to feed? Nobody is going to sit on them.

DonnaBudgie

Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They have little feathers. The father and mother are feeding them, but not sitting on them. Babies look healthy. I've fed them a few times. Should I take the babies to a warmer place to feed myself?
How many babies? They may be keeping each other warm if there are a few of them. What is the room temperature? Unless the babies are coldn9iĺò pwr
Their mom was doing this to them. I captured her. I took her to a separate cage. Now the father is feeding them. They are 12 days old. Should I leave them? or should I take the babies to feed? Nobody is going to sit on them.
Hmm. Some parent birds do peck and harm their babies so it's good you removed her. Dad can feed them. How many babies are there? If you remove the babies because dad won't sit on them to keep them warm, and they still need to be kept warm, you will need to put them in a thermostatically controlled incubator set on about 90F. Don't use light bulbs or heating pad to keep them warm or you may burn them.
If you have three or more babies they probably can keep each other warm. What is the temperature of the room?

OP
B

buhler

Jun 27, 2023
How many babies? They may be keeping each other warm if there are a few of them. What is the room temperature? Unless the babies are coldn9iĺò pwr

Hmm. Some parent birds do peck and harm their babies so it's good you removed her. Dad can feed them. How many babies are there? If you remove the babies because dad won't sit on them to keep them warm, and they still need to be kept warm, you will need to put them in a thermostatically controlled incubator set on about 90F. Don't use light bulbs or heating pad to keep them warm or you may burn them.
If you have three or more babies they probably can keep each other warm. What is the temperature of the room?

There are only two babies in the nest, and the temperature is 27.2 Celsius. Unfortunately, I don't have an incubator. Should I put the nest in a small box at night in order to keep them warm?

OP
B

buhler

Jun 27, 2023
Do I need to rub something on their wounds? I've read that cornmeal is helpful. Or wound cream. Will it be a problem if their poop stays in the nest? Normally, their mother was eating before.

DonnaBudgie

Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think 27.5 C is warm enough. Let the father feed them. You can add feedings if you want. I'm not any expert on raising canary chicks. I hand raised a budgie myself but I had an incubator. It appears as though the mother also plucked their body feathers and down. At 12 days old they should have more feathers and down covering them than they do. Make sure they don't get exposed to any drafts from fans or AC units.

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon. Born 4-2-19
Baby canaries have red spots on their backs. Also, the mother had red spots on her feathers because she was sitting in the hatch. What could be the problem with baby canaries? Do you have any idea? Thanks

View attachment 52134
I would check this out . The diatomaceous earth can be placed dusted and rubbed into the underneath side of the felt pad if you use that for the nest. Or dust the nest with it . I read if you giver the cage at night with a white towel or sheet and then carefully check in the early morning you’ll see the mites on the white sheet . They normally hide in the daytime in small crevices or sometimes on the perch in between the washers . Might be worth removing a perch and looking closely into the washers to see if you see any.http://ladygouldian.com/Diatomaceous-Earth

Most Reactions