New 4 month old Sun Conure, is cage big enough?

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
Hello!

I was going to buy my baby sun conure and all the cages were really expensive, so I found this one on craigslist for $50, I just spray painted it with non toxic paint and have added him and his toys and everything. My question is, is his cage big enough and does he have sufficient toys? The shirt in the upper left of his cage is his sleeping tent that he loves.

Thank you!

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Not seeing a picture. Imgur works for me when posting pictures.

OP
L

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
Im sorry! The post had to be approve my mod, so I could not see the problem right away. Thank you!

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
The bar spacing looks too large and there are decorations on the cage that can be dangerous if he gets his head or leg stuck between them. Snuggle huts are also dangerous as they can ingest the fibers or get stuck in them. They can also make the bird territorial about his cage, as birds view these huts as a nest site. I would also add more toys, as I only see 1 wood/rope toy and 1 ladder. A plain, rectangular cage (no pretty designs with the bars) with 1/2 to 5/8 inch bar spacing would be much better. Apart from those things, the size of the cage looks big enough. Unfortunately, the reality is that good quality cages will be quite expensive. How do you know the material of this cage or the paint isn’t toxic? Also, what is your baby’s name? He is such a cutie!

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! I am sorry you put so much time and money into your cage, but it really is a serious danger to your new baby!

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I agree with everyone else, the top cage decorations thing is really bad for the birdie because they can easily get their head stuck in there and have it stick into that spot under the beak. Please as soon as you can get a new cage for that precious baby. It looks big enough to me though for future reference.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
throw another one into the pile of "different cage" it may be pretty but that one is dangerous

what you want for a cage is the most boring looking thing going, then you spruce it up with toys and such

and yes the happy huts are the worst, destroy them all

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
As others have mentioned the cage looks pretty small, the bar spacing and decorations could end up injuring your bird.

Here are some great alternatives, bird cages 4 less is highly recommended.

One Two

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
If you haven't bought it yet no problem you can get better for the same amount or little more little less. If you have it's not the end of the world. The bar spacing is wide but at least for my bird he'd be thinking how can I gracefully slide down the rails without two to grab on at once.

OP
L

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
Wow thank you all so much for the feedback! I read all the spray paints to make sure the one I got said non toxic on it. Yes, unfortunately I already bought the cage as I wanted to get it before someone else. The guy told me it used to hold an AFRICAN GREY for it's like until it died. I thought it is way too small for a grey. I will take the dream catcher thing out where he can get caught in.i will keep looking on Craigslist for a different cage then. I have kept an eye on the bar spacing and I have observed that his head can pass through the bars, however the width of his wings and body will not let him pass through so he can easily take his head out of the bars, so in the mean time I'm not too worried. What should I use as a sleeping area instead of the hut? He slept in the shirt before I added the hut inside of it to give him extra warmth. He/her name is Nazi (I know it should weird) it's pronounced naw-see which in Farsi (person) means gentle/cute.

OP
L

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
20180119_153835.jpg
[/url] best image upload site[/IMG]

As you can see in the last image here I removed the dream catcher thing. I actually put him to sleep 3 nights ago and he got his foot caught in the dream catch and he gave me his foot to take it off, so I was thinking to take it out and I did now. You can see I have the popcical toy he likes to chew on, the ladder he chews on and the rope and block thing he plays with. I will get him/her more toys, I Was thinking to get one of those winding rope toys, I will get that! Again, thank you all!

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Don’t mean to pile on, I agree with everyone. It’s a very pretty decorative cage. But, a serious problem for an inquisitive Parrot. I can see him strangling himself in the round curly openings.
Sorry :(

OP
L

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
Don’t mean to pile on, I agree with everyone. It’s a very pretty decorative cage. But, a serious problem for an inquisitive Parrot. I can see him strangling himself in the round curly openings.
Sorry :(

Ok, thank you! No need to apologize, I posted here for all feedback. I will take this into consideration!!

And I dont care about pretty, I just got this cage because it was larger than the size the lady at the aviary said the minimum was, this was the largest cage I found while secondhand shoppingonline and it fit the size requirements, so I thought it was good.

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's also important that a bird, if being kept in the cage for several hours, has the ability to completely open its wings without any part of the wing touching the side of the cage. If he can't do this, the cage is much too small. I do like the toys you've added, but again, please consider investing in a larger cage for the sake of your birds health and happiness.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Here are some more great examples of cages for conures, these images I just found on google. Notice all the space, smaller bar spacing, both horizontal and vertical bars, tons of room, toys of different kinds, and lots of things to do inside the cage.

4331663230_77716faa90.jpg

4331663340_9a6181f98b.jpg

2659282801_e025aecffd.jpg

e7f0d84a924b1b29147bbbe98c09de1a--conure-parrot-toys.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how creative you can get with their cages :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
the final cage Itzjbean posted is the exact same cage I have and I can assure you it is incredible! Worth every penny. Enough space for a flap (not quite enough for a flight but a little flutter from one side to the other) and good for toys to place around. If you can find one. I'm not one for craigslist but we all have a limited wallet, spending a bit more and getting a cage now is better than saving $40 and having your conure hurt themselves. Remember they wont relax and think things through if they do get stuck, they just keep pulling and panicking which is the worry with a cage the head can squeeze through (plus pushing through is easier than pulling out)

OP
L

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
It's also important that a bird, if being kept in the cage for several hours, has the ability to completely open its wings without any part of the wing touching the side of the cage. If he can't do this, the cage is much too small. I do like the toys you've added, but again, please consider investing in a larger cage for the sake of your birds health and happiness.

The cage is big enough for like 3 of his full wing spans.

Last edited:
OP
L

LordInfamous666

Jan 18, 2018
Here are some more great examples of cages for conures, these images I just found on google. Notice all the space, smaller bar spacing, both horizontal and vertical bars, tons of room, toys of different kinds, and lots of things to do inside the cage.

4331663230_77716faa90.jpg

4331663340_9a6181f98b.jpg

2659282801_e025aecffd.jpg

e7f0d84a924b1b29147bbbe98c09de1a--conure-parrot-toys.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how creative you can get with their cages :)

Oh wow, that's beautiful. I got some branches and tools to make a nice stand and play area for him. I already have a tree branch play area in my room for him. He's out of his cage about 8 hours a day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts