New and unexpected budgie owner calling help!

Amu

Jul 8, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello,

Just joined the site so I hope this is the right place to post this.

Basically, long story short, we woke up one morning to a budgie on our windowsill. We managed to get her inside safely. (Manchester, ENGLAND). We put some posts up on Facebook and asked around locally but no one has come forwards to claim her. We managed to buy her a temporary cage from pets at home but it is very small. I couldn’t afford to get a large one especially as we don’t think we will be keeping her for long.

I don’t know anything about budgies. It’s been a few weeks now thay we’ve had her and I feel extremely cruel keeping her in a small cage but she doesn’t seem to be getting used to us. I’ve watched various videos on how to tame them etc but nothing is working (been nearly two months now). I keep reading various websites for advice and they all seem to contradict each other e.g. some say to keep them in cage till they are confident enough to step onto your finger but then others say to let them out straight away etc. so I don’t really know what to do.

She has been out of the cage she flies out but just flies in circles screeching and then lands and pants which I’m worried is stressing her out too much?

For food I’ve been giving her the food they sell in pets at home. I’ve tried her with loads of different fruit and veg and greens and millet seed but she won’t eat any of it. Even when I leave it in the cage and go out of the room. I’ve tried buying her various toys etc but doesn’t touch them she just goes for the seed. But I read that this being their only diet could be bad for them?

She doesn’t have any bald patches and her feathers look ok as far as I can tell. She does look skinny but I don’t know what a normal budgie would look like. I have no idea on age etc. (photos attached).

She also does this weird thing where she sits on her perch and very very slightly opens her wings. Not sure if that’s normal as I can’t find any info on it.

Can anyone provide any help or advise at all please? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I feel so cruel keeping her in this small cage but I’ve tried reaching out to various charities and rescues but no one will take her or respond to me.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 44DE74CF-7FAD-469B-886F-59C91FAF8BA7.jpeg
    44DE74CF-7FAD-469B-886F-59C91FAF8BA7.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 176A7B4C-E156-47E4-A096-5353AB0D3FBF.jpeg
    176A7B4C-E156-47E4-A096-5353AB0D3FBF.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 82

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello,

Just joined the site so I hope this is the right place to post this.

Basically, long story short, we woke up one morning to a budgie on our windowsill. We managed to get her inside safely. (Manchester, ENGLAND). We put some posts up on Facebook and asked around locally but no one has come forwards to claim her. We managed to buy her a temporary cage from pets at home but it is very small. I couldn’t afford to get a large one especially as we don’t think we will be keeping her for long.

I don’t know anything about budgies. It’s been a few weeks now thay we’ve had her and I feel extremely cruel keeping her in a small cage but she doesn’t seem to be getting used to us. I’ve watched various videos on how to tame them etc but nothing is working (been nearly two months now). I keep reading various websites for advice and they all seem to contradict each other e.g. some say to keep them in cage till they are confident enough to step onto your finger but then others say to let them out straight away etc. so I don’t really know what to do.

She has been out of the cage she flies out but just flies in circles screeching and then lands and pants which I’m worried is stressing her out too much?

For food I’ve been giving her the food they sell in pets at home. I’ve tried her with loads of different fruit and veg and greens and millet seed but she won’t eat any of it. Even when I leave it in the cage and go out of the room. I’ve tried buying her various toys etc but doesn’t touch them she just goes for the seed. But I read that this being their only diet could be bad for them?

She doesn’t have any bald patches and her feathers look ok as far as I can tell. She does look skinny but I don’t know what a normal budgie would look like. I have no idea on age etc. (photos attached).

She also does this weird thing where she sits on her perch and very very slightly opens her wings. Not sure if that’s normal as I can’t find any info on it.

Can anyone provide any help or advise at all please? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I feel so cruel keeping her in this small cage but I’ve tried reaching out to various charities and rescues but no one will take her or respond to me.

Thanks in advance
Hi there! Thank you so much for saving this guy! Do not stop looking for the owners. There have been cases where birds were reunited months later. Try checking on websites like Parrotalert.com or 911parrotalert.com to reach out further. You can try printing flyers and post them in your area.

Now for advice...

Please don't feel bad about the small cage. It looks ok for a cage anyway, qs long as you eventually upgrade it. We don't even know if you're keeping him/her forever.

Yes, only seed diets are not ideal, but you can try converting her to veggies. This thread may help:

If possible, have the bird seen an avian vet.

Taming tips:

You can get ideas for DIY safe toys here:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's best to let them out once settled in, usually after a few days. Then find a treat they like to get them back to their cage if needed.
Maybe @𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆 will know if this is normal or not.

She doesn't look very skinny to me. Can you try weigh her on a kitchen scale, and tell us how much she weighs?
It's usually a sign of being overheated. You can try gently mist her with a spray bottle if she likes that and see if she cools down.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeas, welcome and be welcomed. Thanks for taking this stray in! Looks like she is YOUR budgie now!

Most Reactions