New behavior... Mating?

Sunnymom

May 31, 2011
Hi all- I have a female amazon who is just over 3 years old and recently has been exhibiting a new behavior. She has free run of the entire cage as well as a rope above it- she has been going to the bottom outside of the cage, sitting on the seed catcher, tail tucked completely under her, and making a cooing noise. I was worried the first few times I saw this but after a min or so she will climb back up onto the cage.
Has anyone heard of/ seen anything like this? It seems to me like it could be mating behavior but I want to make sure it's nothif to be concerned about. Thanks!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
you know your bird , better than us what do you think? thwere 'r ething that you can do .but what iws she doing that makes you thunk that this is mating behavoivior?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You can go to youtube and type in mating behavior of amazon parrot and see how other birds react to the harmone stimulation. 3 years is about the time they become sexually mature.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Well males are sexually reproductive at 1 year. Should wait but they can.
Females yes 3 years they can reproduce. But to be showing a diffrent behavior is a lil weird. Watch out for hormones. I can almost bet next year will be your first time experiencing it with her. Female zon are sexually mature at 3-4 years but sexually aggressive is were you worry. I agree with sb. YouTube or google.
But to me sound like she's just in the mood lol

Allen Max

Jun 16, 2011
I think she must be watching a sport type stuff on daily basis at your home . That is why it is being happened.First of all try to find that thing which was not happening earlier in your bird's surrounding a few days earlier.

Most Reactions