new bird girl here xP

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
A 1 year old budgie named Leeli Wingfeather <3
Helloooo, I'm Emskee -elaborate bow- This place seems wonderful and I'm so glad I found it. Four months ago I adopted my little budgie, Leeli Wingfeather.
Some things about her:
  • She's shy and reclusive, but lets me preen her head and neck which is very sweet<333
  • She currently hates anything aside from millet. :LOL: Any advice would be appreciated. I grind her pellets to a millet size and coat them in walnut oil in order to cover the taste. I'm not actually sure if it's working or not but I think she's taken some bites and that's more than the other methods have done lol.
  • I hand tamed her, and now am starting target training with her. The only problem is that she's made no move to touch or even look at the stick so again, advice would be awesome.
  • She's also too shy to play with her numerous array of toys. 🥲 I have no idea why and any insight would be lovely! Hopefully in the future I can train her to play with toys?
  • She's definitely part bat - she likes dark places, and hangs upside down 😂
  • She's very loved of course!!!
A little bit about me:
  • I'm about to graduate high school.
  • I play the harp, paint, draw, write fiction, DM a narnia-based campaign, roleplay, cosplay, sing, and love working out.
  • I'm a Christian
  • My favorite animal is - .......... you'll never - oh my gosh hOW did you - yeah birds are my favorite animal ..... you smarty pants you.
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice/wisdom!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Helloooo, I'm Emskee -elaborate bow- This place seems wonderful and I'm so glad I found it. Four months ago I adopted my little budgie, Leeli Wingfeather.
Some things about her:
  • She's shy and reclusive, but lets me preen her head and neck which is very sweet<333
  • She currently hates anything aside from millet. :LOL: Any advice would be appreciated. I grind her pellets to a millet size and coat them in walnut oil in order to cover the taste. I'm not actually sure if it's working or not but I think she's taken some bites and that's more than the other methods have done lol.
  • I hand tamed her, and now am starting target training with her. The only problem is that she's made no move to touch or even look at the stick so again, advice would be awesome.
  • She's also too shy to play with her numerous array of toys. 🥲 I have no idea why and any insight would be lovely! Hopefully in the future I can train her to play with toys?
  • She's definitely part bat - she likes dark places, and hangs upside down 😂
  • She's very loved of course!!!
A little bit about me:
  • I'm about to graduate high school.
  • I play the harp, paint, draw, write fiction, DM a narnia-based campaign, roleplay, cosplay, sing, and love working out.
  • I'm a Christian
  • My favorite animal is - .......... you'll never - oh my gosh hOW did you - yeah birds are my favorite animal ..... you smarty pants you.
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice/wisdom!
I feed my Budgie Rocky Harrison's high potency super fine granules because they are the size of hulled millet and I love the organic ingredients. Instead of bring corn based like a lot of pellets one of the main ingredients is ground millet! Millet isn't 'bad' for budgies unless it's all they eat. The Harrison granules taste like millet and are easy for little birds like budgies to eat but have all the good nutrients a budgie needs. Rocky has been eating them since I was handfeeding him as a chick a couple months ago when I mixed them into his baby formula. He weaned onto them quickly at seven weeks old. Good luck and enjoy your little girlfriend!

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
I feed my Budgie Rocky Harrison's high potency super fine granules because they are the size of hulled millet and I love the organic ingredients. Instead of bring corn based like a lot of pellets one of the main ingredients is ground millet! Millet isn't 'bad' for budgies unless it's all they eat. The Harrison granules taste like millet and are easy for little birds like budgies to eat but have all the good nutrients a budgie needs. Rocky has been eating them since I was handfeeding him as a chick a couple months ago when I mixed them into his baby formula. He weaned onto them quickly at seven weeks old. Good luck and enjoy your little girlfriend!
Oh my gosh that's genius thank you so much T_T

Last edited:

Birdmom2a2

Nov 9, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
Have you offered her any fresh foods? I had parakeets for years in the past and they loved fresh greens and vegies. I would make a "salad bowl" and put it on the bottom of their cage (large cage with a family of 8, mom, dad, and their children). They ate very little commercial foods. Remember, it can take a long time for a bird to try a new food so be patient.

Last edited:
OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
Have you offered her any fresh foods? I had parakeets for years in the past and they loved fresh greens and vegies. I would make a "salad bowl" and put it on the bottom of their cage (large cage with a family of 8, mom, dad, and their children). They ate very little commercial foods. Remember, it can take a long time for a bird to try a new food so be patient.
Yeah, I give her fresh food on the regular but she's not crazy about that either 😅 I'll keep trying tho, maybe she'll eat it eventually.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Welcome! Congratulations on your almost high school graduation! Pictures of your feathered friend would be cool!

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
Tha k yo
Welcome! Congratulations on your almost high school graduation! Pictures of your feathered friend would be cool!
Thank you thank you!!
Here's my baby giving a Wanda death glare. ✨

IMG_20230109_204355149.jpg

wandavision-wandamaximoff.gif

And another one back when she had a longer tail 😌

IMG_20221108_145512463.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Tha k yo

Thank you thank you!!
Here's my baby giving a Wanda death glare. ✨

View attachment 47368

View attachment 47369

And another one back when she had a longer tail 😌

View attachment 47370
Your little girl is absolutely adorable! I wish her breeder had offered her more variety when she was weaning because babies are more willing to try different foods. Don't give up on trying to get her to eat more foods. Even if she doesn't nibble on her fresh greens replace them every day so they remain fresh and keep trying. If no big deal if you have to throw out a budgie sized bit of greens everyday for a few months. Have you tried feeding her sprouted seed? You can sprout seed yourself just look online on how to do it and don't keep it too long or it will spoil. Most little birds like budgies, even millet heads, really like sprouts!

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
Your little girl is absolutely adorable! I wish her breeder had offered her more variety when she was weaning because babies are more willing to try different foods. Don't give up on trying to get her to eat more foods. Even if she doesn't nibble on her fresh greens replace them every day so they remain fresh and keep trying. If no big deal if you have to throw out a budgie sized bit of greens everyday for a few months. Have you tried feeding her sprouted seed? You can sprout seed yourself just look online on how to do it and don't keep it too long or it will spoil. Most little birds like budgies, even millet heads, really like sprouts!
Oooooo, no but that's v useful information, thank you!! I'll try that

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome Emskee and your beautiful Leeli!

I always fed my budgies some budgie seeds as well as pellets, I believe they need a little bit of seed in their diet. My guys went crazy for a leaf of kale stuck through the bars of their cage. They also loved lettuce, but only got it as a treat because it is of really no nutritional value. However, it may be a way for you to get her to understand that veggies can be good:)

All of my flock enjoys birdie bread, and it's a way to get some veggies into them. Here are a couple of links with a lot of recipes for both birdie bread and chop.

Birdie Bread/Homemade Treats Recipes Resource Thread

Chop Recipes Resource Thread

What kind of toys does she have in her cage? Sometimes it helps if you play with them so she sees that it looks like fun. Also, birds like different kinds of toys, so it's nice to switch them out every so often.

I'm so happy you two joined us and I'm excited to watch y'all grow together:)
Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
Welcome Emskee and your beautiful Leeli!

I always fed my budgies some budgie seeds as well as pellets, I believe they need a little bit of seed in their diet. My guys went crazy for a leaf of kale stuck through the bars of their cage. They also loved lettuce, but only got it as a treat because it is of really no nutritional value. However, it may be a way for you to get her to understand that veggies can be good:)

All of my flock enjoys birdie bread, and it's a way to get some veggies into them. Here are a couple of links with a lot of recipes for both birdie bread and chop.

Birdie Bread/Homemade Treats Recipes Resource Thread

Chop Recipes Resource Thread

What kind of toys does she have in her cage? Sometimes it helps if you play with them so she sees that it looks like fun. Also, birds like different kinds of toys, so it's nice to switch them out every so often.

I'm so happy you two joined us and I'm excited to watch y'all grow together:)
Congrats on your upcoming graduation!
Thank you for all the welcome and the info!! Much appreciated.

I started out with plastic, shiny toys that came with the cage until realizing those weren't the best options, and now she has a couple wooden, paper, and cork toys. I've done training with her to get her to play with the toys, but unfortunately I couldn't train consistently, and she doesn't play with them on her own. Maybe I'll be able to start training again soon. I'm currently on my way to buy some foraging toys...
Thanks again<#

Most Reactions

Latest posts