ShellnPaco

Jan 18, 2011
Parrots
Half Moon Conure - Paco
Hi everyone!

I'm a fairly new bird owner. I've had Paco, half moon conure, for about 8 months. I'm still learning a lot about how to care for him and train him. Before I got him, he hadn't really been handled or played with at all. We've come a long way and he will now step up and down, waves, high fives and shakes hands!

I've tried to do as much research as I can but I still have questions that I'd like to have answered personally by bird owners!

I'm having a bit of a hard time adapting to the loud sounds and constant squeaking. I'm used to having really quiet pets so I'm wondering if this is something that can be subsided or if that's just how he is and always will be. I know he needs a lot of attention and I work from home so he gets a lot of it! I'm still trying to figure out how to stop certain behaviors, like chewing on clothing, screaming for my attention, etc...

I'm really hoping that he will really warm up to me, he has a lot but I want to cuddle like so many owners get to with their birds! I'm able to pet him a bit but he is always on guard and is very scared of being toweled or or laid on his back.

Does anyone have any tips or pointers? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Rachelle & Paco :green1:

mishykinz

Jan 18, 2011
MD
Parrots
Blue pacific parrotlet (male) - Bb.
Pineapple Green-cheek conure (female) - Tali.
Welcome! I'm a new parrot parent too (and new to the forums).

In my experience (the pet store I work at sells handfed conures of all kinds) conures are one of those birds that are persistently noisy. Unless he is screaming, which can stem from stress factors, illness, or attention-seeking behavior, it might be something you just have to get used to. I am the kind of person who DETESTS noise, I can barely handle my own dog's barking, but I've managed to tune my parrotlet out after awhile (and while they can't scream, they can be VERY noisy when throwing a tantrum!). Sometimes it's a matter of ignoring the sounds you don't like and encouraging the ones that are acceptable to you. I have a friend with a CAG who would squeal or scream, and he taught her that if she made those noises, she would go back in her cage. But if she made acceptable noises or remained quiet, she could stay out.

Anyway, I'm sure there will people more experienced people with better advice coming along. Welcome again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts