New budgie - what should we do? How can we hand tame?

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
My sister recently got a new budgie... Today, actually. She only got one, we presume it to be a male. He has been settled in for about 5 hours now.

So far, he's been quiet and stationary... his wings are clipped in order to make the process easier, but he can still glide quite a very far distance. But as I said, after he got into his cage, he seems very tired and lethargic, but a good sign is that he's eaten Millet, but never in front of us. We've just seen pieces all over and holes on the stem. For now, we have a pillow case draped over his cage in order to let him sleep and calm him down.

So I'm wondering this - what should we be doing? What methods should we use to hand tame him? How long would it take? So far, we have actually been able to give him scritches on the head and torso, but I get no real reaction.
782676ed7eb53d940800491594197d04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
A real sweetie! If the little guy let you give him scritches already, fantastic!
We were a little iffy on the color of the cere. Just as a second opinion, do you agree that it looks like a male? He's pretty young so it's hard to tell, but that's what we think. Also thanks! We are working on it so far!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It's early days. Give him time to settle in and get use to his new environment.
Locate him somewhere he can see you and what is going on but not in a high traffic area.
It's best if the cage has 2 walls around him. this way he knows nothing can approach him from behind.

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
My sister recently got a new budgie... Today, actually. She only got one, we presume it to be a male. He has been settled in for about 5 hours now.
782676ed7eb53d940800491594197d04.jpg

I don't know much about budgies, but he sure is cute. :)

My gut says to leave him alone if he seems scared. Avoid direct eye contact because you have the eyes of a predator. Once he seems settled, find a treat he really likes and drop a bit into his food dish every time you pass the cage. This is a way to let him know you aren't going to hurt him.

That's advice I've seen before and heard works well for birds that are timid in a new situation. :whiteblue:

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
As with any new bird in the house Id start with 'step up' training. Good point on eye contact at first until hes comfy with ya. Don't walk by his cage without speaking or give a lil whistle. As pointed out also.. try to find out what "goodie" he is fond of to use as reward. Budgies are wide open energetic and social and once they trust you they can be difficult to peel off ya.... not to mention they will wear your lips out givin sugar.. All in all can be adorable lil companions. Don't rush anything...take time to build the trust.

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Just an update for everyone! He's finally getting the step-up procedure. I did have to nudge his torso gently but he did it and gets a reward. Here's a picture of him on my sister's finger!
af9f376b952f922458634eabde4e70f3.jpg

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Great start!.. Methinks in short order you will have a very rewarding relationship.

Most Reactions