New cages for my Alexandrines

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Hi friends i am going to make new cages for two of my Napalese Alexandrines.The third will remain in its old cage.The measurements will be 4 ft long, 4ft wide & 8 ft hight of each cage.Is this size fit for Alexanderines .The entrance will be from my Indian peafowls cage.I mean the door will be inside in another cage so the birds can not easily escape.All my birds are tamed birds and i don,t like to keep wild caught birds.What i want is that i want to keep all my birds in same plot, so that i can enjoy all my birds at the same time..Peafowls,Pheasants,Alexandrines & African greys.
I will use 14 guage wire for Alex.
For Congo African grays i used 16 gauge & the cage size is 7 ft wide, 7 ft long &
8 ft high.

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I envy you for having peacocks :) please post pics when you get it set up I'd love to see how it turns out, sounds awesome.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I wonder if there's any possibility of making the cage longer? Alexandrines love to fly and they're very athletic at it too. If you could provide enough length for them to exercise their wings every day, that would be a wonderful thing! My new cage is about six feet high, six feet wide and three feet deep. It's not big enough for my birds to fly, so I have a connection between the cage and the house so they can come indoors and get the flying exercise they so enjoy.

How do your Alexandrines get along with the Peafowl? Do they have any interaction, or do they keep to themselves? I can't imagine what it must be like to own Peafowl - they are so stunningly beautiful! And what sort of Pheasants do you have? I know you've posted pics before of your Alexes, but could you please post some more and show us your Pheasants? :)

OP
U

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Bretisher dear its good now i,l give them more space.What i want to know actually can i keep Alex in colony.Here in Pakistan the breeders normally keep one pair in a cage of 3 X 3 & 4 ft high.Another thing they keep it separately each pair.But as i am not a commercial breeder i just want to enjoy my birds.So thats why i am asking that.Space is not a problem for me.So you suggest the cage should be min 10 ft long for a pair.I do not mix up my birds. Like i don,t mix up my peacocks with pheasants or parrots.Even i don,t mix up peafowl of different species or mutants with each other.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
You'll probably hear different opinions about keeping Alexes in colonies. I have a few friends who keep two pairs together in one cage (and by that, I mean 'cage', not 'aviary'). Our local petshop has about seven adult birds in a large corner cage and they seem to get on fine. Then again, I've heard others say that Alexes are territorial and you shouldn't keep more than one pair together.

If it were me, I'd at least try the birds together and see how they get along. It's important to provide enough space for each pair to 'own' their section of the cage. Also, I'd make sure each pair had its own food and water bowls and roosting perches high up and at opposite ends of the space. In my experience, most trouble comes at roosting time when everyone wants the best perch! But other than that, I can't see why they shouldn't share a cage. Alexandrines are flock birds after all.

I agree with your feeling about not mixing species. It's too dangerous when the birds are in close contact and one species might be larger or more powerful than another. It would be so much more convenient if I could put my Galah in the big cage with the Alexes, but he'd eat them, I think! And they'd probably eat him back!

I hope you'll post photos of the new cage when it's finished? I also hope you'll post more photos of your ravishing garden in the Off Topic section - there are lots of members here who love gardening and who would be glad to see what you have.

Oh, and one last thing: your Alexes are huge compared to mine! Barney and Madge are only just over a year old, but your birds are much longer. I know the Nepalese Alexandrians are the largest, but you must be feeding yours Power Pills or something! :D :D :D

BACON

May 18, 2013
Oooo golden and lady Amherst pheasants. Beautiful.

We've golden pheasants living wild near where we live. Never seen them but there beautiful birds.

Alex's are gorgeous too. Would love one!!!

OP
U

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Thanks all of you my friends.I,l post the cage pictures when it get completed.Yes Golden & Lady Amhrets are the most beautiful & easiest pheasants to keep.Betrisher i feed my parrots millet,check peas,rice.Peanuts & sun flower seeds in winter.Fresh fruits are on daily bases.Vitamins & Electrolytes twice a week in their drinking water specially in summer to all birds.For Peafowls & Pheasants i use crumps with some grains.Actually my concept is if i can not justify my birds & plants then i don,t have the right to own them.So best care for animals,birds & plants every time.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
All your birds look so healthy and vibrant...the pheasants are stunning as are the peafowl and even the chickens! Very nice to see birds hanging out outside in fresh air, it's winter here where I am. Can't wait to see more updates! :)

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
My friend, you have outdone yourself. What a wonderful set up you have for your birds. Always a pleasure to see your photos. My girlfriend and I also keep a grey and an alexandrine they are excellent companions.

OP
U

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Thanks Mr Squak i have set up all my birds in one single plot so i can enjoy them all at the same time.Grays are very intelligent & nice pets.Alexandrines are very striking birds. personally like the beauty of Alex.The most i like is Macaw parrot.

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
Alex's are beautiful birds, also can have very good personality. When I come home from the office my alex, tango, is always very excited to say hello to.

I'm an american but I live in China, unfortunately any Macaw here costs more than $10,000 US. Where are you from?

OP
U

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Mr Squak Alexandrine & Macaw are my most favorite parrots.I have Alexandrines & African grays.I am planning for Blue & Gold Macaw & Red Buff peacock.

Most Reactions

Latest posts