New conure owner pls advice

Sinfairy89

Apr 10, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello I have a new conure 4 months old very skiddish I wondering how to bond with it I just got it yesterday what are the steps to bond and tame it right now when I sit by the cage and say hello he will talk to me and walk around the cage and sometimes up by me :) is that good?

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Yes that’s very good!
You’ll just want to remember to always go at the birds pace!
Sitting by the cage and softly making convo is a great way to start.
Pay attention to body language since it will help in knowing when to take things forward or if you need to move a couple of steps backwards!
Is your bird seemingly showing excitement through eye pinning or head movement? Perhaps a comfortable fluffed up posture? Seems like your bird is comfy and I would start luring with treats to enhance that trust building system but still taking things at the birds comfort level.
Is your bird trying to fly or panic in the cage or exhibiting such forms of fear? I would take a couple steps back just in case!
The goal isn’t for complete trust and tameness as birds will be birds and have their own natural and hormonal instincts from time to time.
However the goal is progress, which of course is never linear.
So continue making the effort you are making right now, take things slow and gradual, and most importantly, have fun along the way! (It can be quite fun and rewarding to gain such a trust from these adorable things!)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Looks like you have 2 threads going?

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Looks like you have 2 threads going?
Well I’ll be a monkeys uncle I didn’t even notice !!

Most Reactions

Latest posts